Linux Mint 18.1 “Serena” Cinnamon released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
ephraimshofar

Re: Linux Mint 18.1 “Serena” Cinnamon released!

Post by ephraimshofar »

MintyO wrote:
ephraimshofar wrote:
MurphCID wrote:http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linu ... erena.html

Not a fan apparently.
I've used Ubuntu, Fedora, Red Hat... and other Linux Distros since ...98? (been awhile). Mint is by far the best at doing what it says it will do in a Linux Distro then I've seen in 19 years... I don't understand why this guy's giving all the grief - unless he/she is biased...
I've been reading that site for years. I think you're jumping to a conclusion a bit.. plus his style is a tad eccentric.

He has praised Mint many times in the past. Mint 17.3 Xfce just won the best distro (or was it best Xfce-distro) of the year recently. Point being, that comparing my own experiences with 17 series and 18, I'd lean on saying that 17 was/is at the moment the better one. What I think is the key point when you subtract his writing style.
His own words were:
This distro has no flair. It doesn't have the magic and fire of yore. No fire, no nothing. It's not super green. And it must pop pop pop. So I guess, grade wise, 6.5/10 or some such.
Very vague, not based on fact... being purely negative without substantiating the argument. That's why I said what I said in my previous post. And v 17 has been around longer, so it's been tweaked with more, no surprise there, so chances are it's going to have less problems.
babyblues409

Post by babyblues409 »

I need to reinstall Serena Cinnamon. Do you have any idea when 18.2 is going to be released?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Not in the first half of this year.
jbrines
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jbrines »

Just put Mint 18.1 on an HP EliteBook 8440p.

Works a treet !!!

Only issue I had when installing was that it did not like Centos 7 that was already installed on the disk, I had to fdisk it and delete the partition, it then installed.

JB
wrinklytech
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wrinklytech »

Had to reinstall (on HP Probook 430) after some stupidity by yours truly trashed networking. Used iso image on USB stick. Very straightforward, the only odd thing I've found so far is that Grub has started duplicating the menu entries.
monkeymajik

Post by monkeymajik »

Does anyone here know how to change 18.1 to use ubuntu base 16.04.2 ?

Thanks!
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Is their a listing of mintupdate-tool commands?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

There is no mintupdate-tool in Mint 18.1
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Cosmo. wrote:There is no mintupdate-tool in Mint 18.1

Ooops...

Return to “Releases & Announcements”