The MASTER KDE CE update thread!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zole052

Re: The MASTER KDE CE update thread!

Post by zole052 »

I'am running RC1 in virtualbox too. Everithing works fine for now except for 'Dolphin' which chrashed a few times!
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

Dell Inspiron 9400 Laptop

The good:
1440x900 Display
Intel 3945 works in 802.11a mode.

The bad:

Can not get KDE Notifications to work. Boot up sounds, and log off sounds play. Testing in the Multimedia area sounds play, test sounds play in the notifications setup

No notification sounds at all, after KDE Startup or Shutdown.

Amarok - Plays MP3, wheres the flipping equalizer?!?!?!?!?!!! :x

Can not use NTP to set clock/date, fails to reach server. pings to various NTP servers fine, other internet activity fine. (Same laptop, same network, NTP fine on Elyssa)

OpenOffice 2.4?!??!?!? :shock: 3.0.1 STABLE was released, thats a given you need OO 3.0.1

Several KDE boxes draw over areas that are not related to the effects they are drawing.

Theme - if dull mac os x was the goal, then you nailed it. Ugliest theme I've ever seen. And those stupid twirling dots :x

Conclusion:
There are some bugs to work out in this still.

The fact it took 2.5 hours to search around to see where things disappeared to just added to the annoyance factor, add in my already known distaste and hatred of 4.x.

I may play with it some more, but Elyssa and KDE 3.5.x :D is where I will be staying. Nothings changed except everything that I don't want changed.
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

One simple question: how to enable Compiz effects ? KDE4 ones are not as smooth :-\

Thanks.
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

GoustiFruit wrote:One simple question: how to enable Compiz effects ? KDE4 ones are not as smooth :-\

Thanks.
I agree, how do we enable Compiz?
p10

Post by p10 »

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to Linux Mint 6 KDE CE! So far this has bin a joyride! I have to keep remembering myself that this is actually RC1!! My expectations for this release has been enormous! Finally getting KDE4 combined with the Mint stability that I need in my daily job... I will keep getting back to Linux Mint in the future for more!
Bagheera

Post by Bagheera »

mmmmhh, i like it, but in few minutes i have found several bugs of kde4.2, like the power management and bluetooth (doesn't work). About power, settings show "when the power button is pressed, show dialog box"... i press it and pc shutdown. I move brightness and nothing happens.

I knew these problems, but I thought the job for mintkde was aimed at solving them... i'm no longer very happy :(
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Post by foggytown »

locutus wrote:where was the distrowatch announcement?
I am sure it is in the works. Probably waiting on release notes and for the iso to get distributed to the mirrors.

Everyone who downloaded early should remember to seed the torrent when the official announcement is made.

Boo: Great work, it is really appreciated. This is the first KDE 4.x that I have found usable...and I am really liking it. This release was well worth the wait.

No bugs to report...a few usability quirks in KDE, but that is about it.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
--Aldous Huxley
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

To enable Compiz desktop effects: install fusion-icon and start it up. Make the same settings as in gnome Mint and "Reload Window Manager".

My laptop has a piss-poor video card ( nVidia 7000M) and all the compiz effects work fine, no choppiness at all. Switching Firefox tabs is as fast as normal; I don't have the problems reported so far.

Only one bug so far: Applications -> System Settings -> Desktop -> Multiple Desktops, any value I enter does not take. Just the default 2 is all I have. And in viewing Compiz's Desktop Cube, all I have is a front and back. No sides.

All in all, I have to say that my laptop is by far much more responsive than either 32-bit or 64-bit Mint gnome. I don't know why or how this differs from other's experiences because I have not done much.

BUT: if anybody is like me and HATES the kickoff menu system (or whatever Suse calls it) then install "Lancelot". It looks and behaves very similar to gnome mintMenu's.
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

That's really odd because I was running just from LiveDVD mode with standard KDE compositing and it ran smooth as can be. Granted my laptop has 4gigs of ram, but an Intel X3100 integrated graphics chip. I should try it on my other laptop which has 2 gigs of ram and an ATI X300 card with 64mb of ram.
cedric

Post by cedric »

Only one bug so far: Applications -> System Settings -> Desktop -> Multiple Desktops, any value I enter does not take. Just the default 2 is all I have. And in viewing Compiz's Desktop Cube, all I have is a front and back. No sides.
KDE and Gnome are not using desktop the same way, so I've managed to have the compiz cube :

go to the compiz onfiguration manager

general option

desktop size, and for horizontal virtual size enter 4.

The cube works fine for me, on my little aasus eeebox 202 !
cedric

Post by cedric »

I've tried tu use aptitude to explore why plasmoids like weather, picture and other many don't want to work.

It seems like a probleme between kde4.2 and plasmoids written for 4.0 and 4.1.

Aptitude proposes to resolve breaked paquets with retrograding many libs from 4.2 to 4.1.

But I didn't do that, too much risks I think.

It's a bit surprising to find plasmoids in KDE4.2 that don't work with it ... no ?

Very sorry for my english, when it goes too much technical it's hard for me.
Fred

Post by Fred »

cedric and others,

KDE 4 is a work-in-progress. Be patient, it will get there. 4.1 was better than 4.0 and 4.2 is better than 4.1. :-)

If you want a mature KDE, as opposed to a cutting edge version, stick to KDE 3.5.10.

Fred
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

cedric wrote:
KDE and Gnome are not using desktop the same way, so I've managed to have the compiz cube :
go to the compiz onfiguration manager
general option
desktop size, and for horizontal virtual size enter 4.
The cube works fine for me, on my little aasus eeebox 202 !
That fixed it, and was pretty well the last tweak I was waiting to solve. Thanks!
Bagheera

Post by Bagheera »

Why openoffice 2.4? we cant install oo3?

a note in favor... suspension to ram worked from cd live!!

and media work fine too.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

WildSioux wrote: EDIT: What do I do about the "lock" icon at the bottom that flashes and says I have "232 Recommended software updates?" Are all of those for this Mint6 KDE RC?
Yes. Either click it and add all those updates

or

Open Synapic, click Reload, Click Mark All Upgrades, click Apply, click Apply on the new window that opens up.If you know all about Synaptic already, my apologies for restating the ovious.
cedric

Post by cedric »

Well I tried something else, and maybe this would make an advice for people that have old screen.

Since yesterday I had a old Hercules Prophetview 15" TFT screen (from 2001 ), when I made the install of kdemint6 I've noticed some strange things.

This afternoon, I've used my brand new 22" wide samsung on my eeebox202, and I've made a new fresh install ... and yes, things are working much better, plasma works nicely, and plasmoids too.

I'm surprised to see that mintkde4.2 works so fine with eeebox, only 300Mo Ram used, similar to the mint main edition ! But I think that the new kde desktop is really more pleasant to use.

Maybe it could be a good thing to advice people using old fashionned screen that they might have some problems with plasma ?

One bug I've noticed on my both installs, is that when I do "reboot the computer", it starts log off, but don't reboot at all, I have to switch off the computer manually, It's strange because when I click on shut down, it does it well.
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

aviynw wrote:And it doesn't look like the rc comes with support for google gadgets.
I was reading online about google gadget's integration with plasma and for it to work it looks like plasma has to be compiled with certain code from the "google-gadgets-for-linux" project (http://code.google.com/p/google-gadgets-for-linux/). Kubuntu didn't compile plasma with this code because it didn't have an adequate license. http://forum.kde.org/google-gadgets-in- ... 28883.html. I know Mint includes many things that ubuntu doesn't because of licenses, is there a reason whhy support for google gadgets wasn't included?

thanks for all the great work. :D.
First is it so that Google Gadgets don't work with Mint KDE? If so can this be fixed? Also, I read somewhere that Macintosh Widgets could work with KDE 4. Is this true?

If someone can tell me where to find additional KDE 4 widgets/plasmoids, that would also be appreciated.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

If someone can tell me where to find additional KDE 4 widgets/plasmoids, that would also be appreciated.
I believe you can find lots of them here.

http://www.kde-look.org/index.php?xcont ... cd1d8332e2
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

if you go to add widgets there is an option to install them which goes off to kde-look.org or kde-apps.org or you can look on your local box.
but I think more widgets are listed on the site than via the installer to the site.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
p10

Post by p10 »

Have been running RC1 on my Acer Aspire 7720 since Sunday night. It has been performing quite nice, and only a few small problems:
- Hybernate results in a freeze when I try to restart.
- There is a problem setting screen brightness. When I set the brightness something else changes it back to what it was before. Happens every time I close the lid, but can also happen during work. It is almost as if there is two power managers at work, and I only have access to one of them...?

Return to “Software & Applications”