Linux 2017 – The Road to Hell

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lexon

Linux 2017 – The Road to Hell

Post by lexon »

For some years I thought, Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.
The past few years I have noticed it comes bundled with Linux. Take a few minutes to look though the different forums, not only Mint forums, for all the issues, some never solved.
Yes, many are trying to improve but their are issues.

http://www.ocsmag.com/2016/07/13/linux- ... d-to-hell/

L
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Linux 2017 – The Road to Hell

Post by Cosmo. »

Software contains bugs and failures. Not by design or by will (at least this should not happen), but the reality of an imperfect world is so. Bugs can get fixed, as an intermediate solution their might exist workaround. But this is always a matter of the current problem. Such global descriptions do not help anybody.
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

It's 35 minutes worth of the problems with Linux -- by Bryan Lunduke.

Linux Sucks.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

Meh...a few folks have trouble installing and/or using Linux, so something must be wrong with Linux. When at least 90% (a statistic I just made up) of those problems stem from, not Linux, but the failure of hardware manufacturers to support platforms other than Microsoft. And Microsoft's own influence over those manufacturers in an attempt to keep PC's from booting, or operating well with anything other than Windows.
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

Neil Edmond wrote:When at least 90% (a statistic I just made up)
63% of all statistics are meaningless.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Oh, it's Dedoimedo.
In that case, never mind.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
trapperjohn

Post by trapperjohn »

Ain't hell great!

Fact is, either the fella's Lenovo isn't so compatible after all or I'm just accidentally experiencing zero hardware problems on dozens of machines... a statistical unlikelihood.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Linux has been pretty much trouble free for me in the 15 year I have been using it. I have installed Linux not just on my own computer, but on family and friends' computers, too. A few minor issues, but no show-stoppers.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

From what I've seen over the years, when it comes to mainstream OSs, the two most common culprits are hardware problems (could be bad hardware, or not (fully) supported hardware) and user error of some description.

There are very unstable GNU+Linux distros out there, and I'm not including them. Even though GNU+Linux is an entire ecosystem of components, the primary public distribution mechanism is the distribution model, and therefore I'm looking at this from that perspective.

Generally, if you're running Debian or a Debian-based distro, or a Fedora-based distro, then problems are almost certainly hardware or user in the majority of cases.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
pacho37

Post by pacho37 »

Moem wrote:Oh, it's Dedoimedo.
In that case, never mind.
My thoughts exactly. The guy really seems bipolar sometimes ;-) He does make good points every now and then, but the way he puts
his message across is not conducive to having a reasonable and productive discussion. And sooner rather than later he ends up ranting, spewing out crap and not being very civil.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Don't feel much sympathy for folk who go out and buy iPhones then whinge they don't work with Linux. How about making a point of buying from companies that support Linux, or at the very least don't go out of their way to break compatibility?
jameskga
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jameskga »

Guy installs an operating system every couple of years.

"This is hell."
They say your favorite Mint edition was the one you installed when you still went to school with your friends.
I am out there
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Most Linux issues for distros such as Mint, mostly stem from the users lack of research first. Either in researching what hardware to purchase, or in doing 1 web search and five minutes later giving up. The AMD drivers issue is a good example of this.
In the end though that is not the root cause. The root cause lies with manufacturers. Once again the AMD drivers issue is a good example of this. Gigabyte is another who chronically makes linux difficult with their motherboards. Another noted is Asus and the trouble a user here had because to disable secureboot/UEFI was a 10 step process. As new hardware comes out Linux adapts. It takes time, but after that time things settle back down to stable and reliable.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I actually largely agree with the guy, but I don't have any WIndows partitions anymore and I still don't want Windows. If I needed Windows apps for business I would have some Windows still. But I don't.

Here's my personal fave article on the subject, and this guy is more knowledgeable than the one from the OP's link:

https://itvision.altervista.org/why.lin ... rrent.html

Here's another excellent article by an MIT researcher from 2008 ...

https://scripts.mit.edu/~birge/blog/why ... e-desktop/

... and note how many issues remain unsolved.

Basically, I have adopted the old Unix motto. "Everything else is worse".
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
dcrowder
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dcrowder »

For me things get better with time, not worse. The main thing I have learned, there is a lag when new hardware is released and Linux catches up to it. Do not buy the latest cutting edge hardware for Linux.
Mint 21 Vanessa | Cinnamon | x64
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

It has been my experience that most of my Linux Mint problems were caused by the four eyed idiot behind the keyboard. If that could be eliminated, I would be a happy camper!

Jim
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

No one needs a Microsoft-alternative operating system if it can’t do half the things that a typical Windows system can.
Like give often-broken-and-forced updates, invade privacy, and everyone's favorite: produce the Blue Screen of Death. Yep. I don't need an alternative that can't do all of those, and more!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

lexon wrote:For some years I thought, Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.
The past few years I have noticed it comes bundled with Linux
In another few years you may find out that it comes bundled with life.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

jameskga wrote:Guy installs an operating system every couple of years.

"This is hell."
actually that's the Microsoft Windows System.
:shock:
seriously - - it requires constant maintenance.

where as my Linux PCs don't need anywhere that level of attention.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Chat about Linux”