will not boot

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
longshanks67
Level 2
Level 2

will not boot

Post by longshanks67 »

This problem has just started, switch on laptop will not boot to the usual mint desktop. Ist screen presented is the GNU Grub screen with three choices, when selected the next screen reads, " BusyBox V1.22.1 (ubuntu1.1.22.0-15.ubuntu) built - shell (ash)
Initramfs. Help.
Being a novice user I'm a bit lost, some help please.
Regards
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Re: will not boot

Post by mike acker »

longshanks67 wrote:This problem has just started, switch on laptop will not boot to the usual mint desktop. Ist screen presented is the GNU Grub screen with three choices, when selected the next screen reads, " BusyBox V1.22.1 (ubuntu1.1.22.0-15.ubuntu) built - shell (ash)
Initramfs. Help.
Being a novice user I'm a bit lost, some help please.
Regards
if i remember rightly the Boot Repair Disk from SourceForge might be the needed fix:

Source Forge / Boot Repair

you have to download the .iso image and then burn it to a CD. if you only have 1 computer you will need to seek assistance in order to download and make the Live CD. After that you boot from the CD ( or USB Stick ) and the program will analyze and fix your boot problem.

kbitzers note: if you only have 1 computer consider making the boot repair disk before you need it.

another note: be sure to organize your hard drive with your o/s root in one partition and your /home directory in another. if you do have to re-install the o/s the system should save all of your data that you have in your /home directory although you'd need to re-install your apps if you had to do this.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
Memoox

Post by Memoox »

Are you sure you don't have any USB sticks plugged in when you start the pc??
longshanks67
Level 2
Level 2

Post by longshanks67 »

Thanks, for reply's, yes I did have a usb plugged in on boot up.

Return to “Beginner Questions”