Removed Partition In Order To Reinstall; Now Won't Boot

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
skyforged

Removed Partition In Order To Reinstall; Now Won't Boot

Post by skyforged »

I own a Dell Latitude. I dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint. Linux Mint file system became too full. I couldn't extend partition space. To get around this, I booted Windows, deleted the Linux Mint partition, and planned to reinstall Linux Mint with a larger partition.

I restarted my computer and now get this error:
error: no such partition
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue> _
What do I do? I don't have another machine at home. But I can probably get borrow one to download any necessary software.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Removed Partition In Order To Reinstall; Now Won't Boot

Post by all41 »

the best thing you can do right now is boot linux to the live dvd/usb.
You may need to tell your bios to boot from this.
Then once in a live Mint desktop go in the menu and run gparted.
Make a screenshot of the result and post that back here. If you need guidance just ask.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Memoox

Post by Memoox »

I think you installed the Grub Loader in the partition you just deleted (formatted).

But since you've deleted the partition, there's no point in recovering that. What you need is a Windows Installation Disk and fix boot. After booting into windows normally, log off and reintall Linuxmint.

Hope it helps
skyforged

Post by skyforged »

all41 wrote:the best thing you can do right now is boot linux to the live dvd/usb.
You may need to tell your bios to boot from this.
Then once in a live Mint desktop go in the menu and run gparted.
Make a screenshot of the result and post that back here. If you need guidance just ask.
I honestly don't know how to do that. I didn't install Linux Mint using a USB/DVD. I ran it using a virtual drive while I was in Windows 10. Then I set the partitions too low. Is there another way to bypass this or would it be best to download Linux Mint onto a USB using a different computer then try running it on my machine?
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ skyforged

For some guidance, please refer to .......
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126 (dual-booting UEFI)
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ct/windows
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... nt-install
https://www.tecmint.com/install-linux-m ... uefi-mode/ (note steps 17 & 18)
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122276 (manual partitioning)

Try a boot repair ....... viewtopic.php?f=46&t=207529

You will need to create a Live Linux Mint DVD/USB-stick to do the boot repair. Boot it in UEFI mode.

Understand that when you installed LM alongside Win 10, the Linux Grub boot-loader over-rides the Windows Boot Manager as the working boot-loader even though both have been installed in the EFI SystemPartition. If you then go and just delete the Linux partition, Grub won't work anymore = the computer cannot be booted = Grub has to be repaired. You may even need to install and use the efibootmgr software.

The correct procedure should be ... boot a Live LM DVD/USB-stick, use GParted to delete and expand the Linux partition and then proceed with a reinstall of LM as a dual-boot(use the "Something else" install method and ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is the EFI System Partition or ESP = fat32/about 200MB).
....... Alternatively, delete the Linux partition, expand the Win 10 partition to occupy the whole disk and reinstall LM by using the "Install LM alongside Windows Boot Manager" method, which does not need the Win 10 partition to be pre-shrink. With this method, the user can set the size of the Linux partition - the default size is only about 20GB.(see the sitesdotgoogle link)
hcentaur13

Post by hcentaur13 »

You should know:

Linux is not windows - and windows is intolerant to anything else and sometimes to itself!

There is a small chance to get your linux up again without loosing your data:

Boot up a life system DVD or USB stick.
fire up gparted then select the partition / is bound on - check the partition

go to http://www.supergrubdisk.org/ and download supergrub2. Nring it on a little stick like you've done dor your Live stick.
When the check of the / was successdully it may be possuble to boot no, You should check if you cat access the /home of you system (net the /home of the live systen!) Backup!
When you can boot now yo're won. When not try to boot by booting supergrub and there select your system - be sure you boot UEFI when your windows is installed in UEFI mode, else boot NOT uefi - be sure you use the right mode
If it works:
sudo grub-install /dev/sda
sudo update-grub

Be sure you have a working backup of /home - you need that after a new install do get your data back after new install! Or your data is lost completely!
Memoox

Post by Memoox »

skyforged wrote:I own a Dell Latitude. I dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint. Linux Mint file system became too full. I couldn't extend partition space. To get around this, I booted Windows, deleted the Linux Mint partition, and planned to reinstall Linux Mint with a larger partition.

I restarted my computer and now get this error:
error: no such partition
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue> _
What do I do? I don't have another machine at home. But I can probably get borrow one to download any necessary software.
Well... is a different thing if you installed Linuxmint like a normal program in Windows 10, but I thought Mint4win was disconttinued. There is a big difference if you "installed" Linuxmint like a program, or did a normal installation with a USB o DVD. If you can explain us what exactly you did to get your Mint installed, maybe we could help a little more.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

initially - - try repairing the Windows Boot Loader
ie: do you have a win-10 disk / usb stick / ISO that you can utilise ??

if NO - - then another machine, where you can download that ISO
& write it to a usb stick - - even if you have to temporarily borrow such a machine.

then look at re-installing the LinuxMint system again.

what you did, by deleting that partition, was to remove the LinuxMint system
- that the grub boot loader was pointing to - - hence the grub failure prompt.

all of this, if that Super Grub Boot method doesn't work
:!:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

skyforged wrote:I ran it using a virtual drive while I was in Windows 10.
Are you sure? Your symptoms sound like you had a normal install to HD partition and then removed the "grub" boot files (by removing the partition).

Reinstalling linux to the same place it was in before should fix it.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Beginner Questions”