Possible to upgrade Xfce 4.4.2 to 4.6.0 ?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
joeham

Possible to upgrade Xfce 4.4.2 to 4.6.0 ?

Post by joeham »

4.6.0 is out now. Can Mint 6 xfce (4.4.2) be upgraded to 4.6?

Can this be done with package uninstall / install? or are the a bunch of dependencies and config files that will get hosed?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Possible to upgrade Xfce 4.4.2 to 4.6.0 ?

Post by viking777 »

I would guess the reason it isn't included by default yet is that the Mint package maintainers have not yet got it working correctly. If you are incredibly impatient and enjoy a challenge you could try to install it or you could opt for the easy life and wait until it appears as an update by which time most of the dependencies will have been sorted out.

Out of interest I just tried installing it on Mandriva cooker this morning (where it has been released as an update) but the install failed. (Cooker is the Mandriva testing distribution so it gets a lot of bleeding edge packages and they don't always work).
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

I actually included Xubuntu's dev repository for XFCE and upgraded Mint to XFCE 4.6 and so far I haven't seen any adverse effects. I haven't extensively tested yet but so far it's running well.
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
JerichoKru

Post by JerichoKru »

marcus0263 wrote:I actually included Xubuntu's dev repository for XFCE and upgraded Mint to XFCE 4.6 and so far I haven't seen any adverse effects. I haven't extensively tested yet but so far it's running well.
If you don't mind me asking, how would one do this?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Having now got it fully installed on Mandriva Cooker, I can't see what the fuss is about, it hardly seems worth the effort of switching. Just my opinion of course, I am sure there is someone out there that thinks it is wonderful. (and I am certainly not saying it is bad, just not different enough to justify any special efforts to get it). Still miles better than Gnome and KDE4 though.
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

JerichoKru wrote:
marcus0263 wrote:I actually included Xubuntu's dev repository for XFCE and upgraded Mint to XFCE 4.6 and so far I haven't seen any adverse effects. I haven't extensively tested yet but so far it's running well.
Add it to your repository and update, simple as that

Code: Select all

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/xubuntu-dev/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
JerichoKru

Post by JerichoKru »

marcus0263 wrote:
JerichoKru wrote:
Add it to your repository and update, simple as that

Code: Select all

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/xubuntu-dev/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main
Thanks...but I get a 4.5.9 or something for the version :?

EDIT: the update made a few changes that I saw:

1. Theme manager has disappeared...I am now stuck with the default xfce theme and icons (not the mint default). I can change window decorations
2. Xscript for session is gone < Resolved?
3. Multiple things from the Mint XFCE Config has disappeared (which ones, I am not certain)
4. Screensaver manager was added along with standard Mint one
5. Notifications do not appear (tray messages)

Return to “Xfce”