Linux Mint 6 Fluxbox RC1 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 6 Fluxbox RC1 released!

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 6 Fluxbox Community Edition. Linux Mint Fluxbox Community Edition is based on Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid, Linux 2.6.27, Fluxbox 1.0.0 and Xorg 7.4. Included is an all-new menu system, Mint-FM2, Slim as a display manager, Live CD features that should make it easier to install [...]

Read more: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=651

Bug thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 55#p133357

Clem.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Linux Mint 6 Fluxbox RC1 released!

Post by exploder »

I am looking forward to the reaction to this release. Shane has added some really nice features not found in other Fluxbox based distributions. I was very impressed with this release!
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

exploder wrote:I am looking forward to the reaction to this release. Shane has added some really nice features not found in other Fluxbox based distributions. I was very impressed with this release!
Now, I decided to skip Mint Fluxbox this time because I am already testing Mint KDE CE RC1 and Mint XFCE 6.
You just ruined my decision. 8)
Downloading! :mrgreen:
Fred

Post by Fred »

I too am anxious to get the time to take a peak at this. I have always had a soft spot for Fluxbox. :-)

Fred
.ee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by .ee »

Thanks for this long-awaited release!

Somehow I was unable to burn rewritable CD using brasero (the same problem I reported on xfce edition).

The workoround for me was: install xfburn, sudo umount /media/cdrom0, blank cd-rw using xfburn,
open file to burn in xfburn, burn. Brasero did not want to burn the disk even after I have blanked it using xfburn. In the latest Mint Gnome edition I don't have these problems. Xfburn workes flawlessly in Crunchbang Linux. Maybe it makes sense to replace Brasero in Mint Fluxbox edition with xfburn?
Or, maybe I am just not qualified enough to use Brasero properly??? :cry:

PS: If I made apt-get update and upgrade today on the version I have dowloaded few days ago,
do I have the today's release version? Upgrade has produced the following message:
The following packages have been kept back:
linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic
linux-restricted-modules-generic
Is it normal?
tawan

Post by tawan »

It's too good for words.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Christopher91 wrote:So if it's based on Xubuntu, does that mean we will see a PowerPC version?
Sorry, I really dont have the time or hardware to do a PowerPC version. If anyone is willing to take up the challenge I am most willing to help.
mintph

LXDE COMMUNITY EDITION

Post by mintph »

Hi,

I am currently using the Linux Mint 6 Fluxbox CE and everything works out of the box so far... including wireless.

I was wondering if there will be a Linux Mint 6 LXDE CE since it seems that LXDE is becoming more popular nowadays with good reviews.

I love the Fluxbox CE and would like to ask if using LXDE would be even lighter than Fluxbox.
Baphijmm

Post by Baphijmm »

Very likely a stupid question, but this is my first tentative upgrade of LinuxMint (from 5 to 6); is this done via a reinstall, or is there a way to just upgrade the packages?
Windows

Post by Windows »

How can I auto-logon without login and password? I can’t find logon setup command in fluxbox-menu :-(
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Install Fluxbox CE on top of other Mint editions

Post by shane »

I have written a short guide of sorts on how to install Mint Fluxbox CE on top of other Mint editions. This is not supported officially and it has not been tested.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=22864
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Windows wrote:How can I auto-logon without login and password? I can’t find logon setup command in fluxbox-menu :-(
This release uses Slim and not GDM... the configuration is different. Here is how to do it.

1. Open slim.conf as root

Code: Select all

sudo mousepad /etc/slim.conf
2. Look for these lines and change them to look something like this. Don't forget to uncomment the relevant lines.

Code: Select all

# default user, leave blank or remove this line
# for avoid pre-loading the username.
default_user        your-user-name

# Automatically login the default user (without entering
# the password. Set to "yes" to enable this feature
auto_login          yes
Last edited by shane on Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Baphijmm wrote:Very likely a stupid question, but this is my first tentative upgrade of LinuxMint (from 5 to 6); is this done via a reinstall, or is there a way to just upgrade the packages?
I haven't had time to test a 5 to 6 upgrade. Maybe a tested method will come up later. I would recommend a clean install as some big changes have been made... e.g. Slim and the new menu system.

You can try to update the sources list to the latest one and upgrade the packages. Then remove all the old Mint Fluxbox specific packages that are on your system and then install the mint-meta-fluxbox package. Have a look at this thread, it may help. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=22864
Windows

Post by Windows »

shane wrote:This release uses Slim and not GDM... the configuration is different. Here is how to do it.
Ok. Thank you! I'll try it tomorrow.

Just one more ... When I click on the left bottom conner of the screen to show fluxbox-menu - that is OK. But when I move up the mouse - it is stopped by system settings sub-menu (i have Pentium III - not very fast computer). That sub-menu has too many items that is why it demands much time to process it. Then submenu is appear and I can't go up by mouse pointer upper of system settings sub-menu to call firefox or home folder for example. That is the problem. :!:
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Windows wrote: Just one more ... When I click on the left bottom conner of the screen to show fluxbox-menu - that is OK. But when I move up the mouse - it is stopped by system settings sub-menu (i have Pentium III - not very fast computer). That sub-menu has too many items that is why it demands much time to process it. Then submenu is appear and I can't go up by mouse pointer upper of system settings sub-menu to call firefox or home folder for example. That is the problem. :!:
Do you mean that the System Tools submenu appears over the main menu? What resolution are you running at? Please post your problems in the thread dedicated to bug reports. It makes it easier to follow. Here it is: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=22755
McLovin

Re: LXDE COMMUNITY EDITION

Post by McLovin »

mintph wrote:Hi,

I am currently using the Linux Mint 6 Fluxbox CE and everything works out of the box so far... including wireless.

I was wondering if there will be a Linux Mint 6 LXDE CE since it seems that LXDE is becoming more popular nowadays with good reviews.

I love the Fluxbox CE and would like to ask if using LXDE would be even lighter than Fluxbox.
check out this post, i am actually hoping to get Clems attention, as I am working on one.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=22891
Last edited by McLovin on Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Re: LXDE COMMUNITY EDITION

Post by shane »

McLovin wrote: check out this post, i am actually hoping to get Clems attention, as I am working on one.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=22440
This sounds like an interesting idea. I would suggest you build an ISO and ask Clem to check it out. But I will warn you that it is not as easy as slapping together a bunch of apps and rolling up an ISO. The standard required by Linux Mint is very high. I am not trying to scare you or anything... just that you should be ready to put in a lot of work. For me, it would be nice to have someone else working on the low resource end of things.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

I know, I have been working on it for about a month already, and still have a ways to go. I would actually like to talk to you, as I think I could learn a bit from you about how to reconfigure the mint tools for LXDE/OpenBox.
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

After updating LM 6 Fluxbox RC1, with the latest round of updates, I am experiencing a pesky problem. Every time I boot my Lenovo T60 and log-in, a full screen size screenshot pops up. How do I get this to stop?

I installed Exaile for my iPod music needs, however It doesn't seem to be able to rip CD's in MP3 format. Is there a lib that is missing in the distro to do this or is this an Exaile issue?

Cheers

Here are a few comments as well from the peanut gallery :-)

!) Wow! this is a lot better than LM5 Fluxbox. The last version didn't appeal to me visually.
2) A few ideas could be added from #! CRUNCHBANG Linux for LM6 Fluxbox version - ability to edit and rearrange items in the Fluxbox menu, direct links in the menu that will let you edit config file for Conky, start Conky by default at startup.
3) It would be nice if Conky could be configured to patch into temperature and fan sensors if installed on a laptop.
4) I am really not thrilled by LM default black and super green layout (sorry guys, I want to, but I don't). How about a blubuntu alternative across the board for all LM versions? Something that can be installed as meta package with theme, desktop, splash screen, log in screen, etc.
Yownanymous

Post by Yownanymous »

Just been trying it using Mint4win and I've got to say, being a usual GNOME user, Fluxbox is actually a very nice desktop environment.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”