Unable to mount location - can't mount file

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
govind

Unable to mount location - can't mount file

Post by govind »

I recently installed Linux mint over Ubuntu.
I have 150 GB internal hard disk.
I had two drives - one with ext4 and one with ntfs format.
While installing I only formatted ext4 and swap.
After installing Mint, drive with ntfs format is not visible but I am getting ext4 with 148 GB memory.
Screenshot from 2017-07-05 12-37-36.png
I am getting only message - Unable to mount location - can't mount file
Untitled.png
Is there any way to mount the drive or recover files from that drive?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Unable to mount location - can't mount file

Post by JoeFootball »

govind wrote:I have 150 GB internal hard disk. I had two drives - one with ext4 and one with ntfs format. While installing I only formatted ext4 and swap. After installing Mint, drive with ntfs format is not visible but I am getting ext4 with 148 GB memory.
For clarity, I'm assuming that when you said you had two "drives", you mean that you had two partitions on one physical device.

With that, given that it's a 150 GB drive which has been formatted to a 148 GB ext4 partition and a swap partition, I'm going to have to assume the ntfs partition no longer exists.
govind wrote:...or recover files from that drive?
As far as recovering files, you can try TestDisk, but if the entire hard drive was formatted, it's my understanding that it's unlikely to be successful.

Joe
govind

Post by govind »

JoeFootball wrote: For clarity, I'm assuming that when you said you had two "drives", you mean that you had two partitions on one physical device.
Yes, you catch it rightly. I had two partitions on one hard disk.
JoeFootball wrote: With that, given that it's a 150 GB drive which has been formatted to a 148 GB ext4 partition and a swap partition, I'm going to have to assume the ntfs partition no longer exists.
1. If whole drive is formatted then why does it shows the disk which can not be mounted in 'Computer'?
2. How to solve the mounting problem?
3. how my ntfs partition can be formatted when I didn't formatted it during installation of Mint?
JoeFootball wrote: As far as recovering files, you can try TestDisk, but if the entire hard drive was formatted, it's my understanding that it's unlikely to be successful.
Thanks for suggestion....
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

govind wrote:1. If whole drive is formatted then why does it shows the disk which can not be mounted in 'Computer'?
2. How to solve the mounting problem?
Just so that I understand what you're encountering, you're booting into the Linux Mint installation on the hard drive, or are you booting to a "live" session off DVD/USB?
govind wrote:3. how my ntfs partition can be formatted when I didn't formatted it during installation of Mint?
I can't speak to the installation that was conducted, but I deduced that the ntfs partition is no longer present by virtue of the fact that you now have a ~148 GB ext4 partition with a ~2 GB swap partition on a 150 GB hard drive.

Joe
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

For what it's worth, it appears that TestDisk is available as a command line utility included with GParted Live.

Joe

Return to “Storage”