Some reasons to avoid Windows 10

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Some reasons to avoid Windows 10

Post by all41 »

Don't drink the kool-aid
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
trapperjohn

Post by trapperjohn »

Oh, and here's another great review from the Electronic Frontier Foundation:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/08/w ... -deep-dive
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Is this going to break a lot of software?

Post by Pierre »

It will cost a few hundred bucks, to get the Microsoft cross-signing on older drivers.
- I wonder how much older software will now be affected?
https://www.osr.com/blog/2016/06/02/dri ... ls-emerge/
me thinks that it is a deliberate ploy, to draw a line under that older software base.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
TooMuchTime

Post by TooMuchTime »

I wonder how much older software will now be affected?
I wonder how much open source software will now be affected?
TooMuchTime

Post by TooMuchTime »

Well, according to this Wikipedia page, the code name for the new version of Windows 10 will be Redstone.

You mean, this Redstone?
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

TooMuchTime wrote:Well, according to this Wikipedia page, the code name for the new version of Windows 10 will be Redstone.

You mean, this Redstone?
lolz... That was Mercury Redstone 1, iirc. A hitch without ever going off, you might say. Whoops...
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
The Old Timer

Post by The Old Timer »

Linux the smart choice for smart people.
MajorMuff

Post by MajorMuff »

TooMuchTime wrote:Well, according to this Wikipedia page, the code name for the new version of Windows 10 will be Redstone.

You mean, this Redstone?
Well, since MS owns Minecraft now, I'd expect it to refer to the redstone in that game.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: R8,500 data bill for Windows 10 updates

Post by Pierre »

R8,500 data bill for Windows 10 updates,
A Vodacom subscriber racked up a mobile data bill of R8,500 because of automated Windows 10 updates:
http://mybroadband.co.za/news/cellular/ ... dates.html

NB: 8,500.00 Rand = 534.55 EUR = 603.05 USD
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
Alexiy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alexiy »

Was looking for motherboards. Stumbled upon this, taken from http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B150%20Pro4D3/:
"Win 7 USB Patcher
Due to chipset limitation, when you want to install Windows® 7 on this MB, you may need to use “Win 7 USB Patcher” to create a new ISO file, or check this page for more details on how to install Windows® 7 OS."

Have manufacturers started to ditch windows 7?
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Yeah, it is reason to avoid Intel also.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

all41 wrote:Don't drink the kool-aid
The marriage of Microsoft and Linux
http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-marria ... and-linux/
you may be now able to run a Linux In / Under Windows-10,
AND Microsoft May well be saying "that Microsoft has sincerely changed its approach toward Linux and open-source software".

BUT: why would anyone wish to run Linux UNDER windows :?: :?:
- you would still have to "BUY a Copy of Windows" - - in order to do that.

for what reason, if any, would anyone wish to do that :?:
- you may as well Dual Boot with Windows, if you wanted that function.
or, just run Windows in a VM.

Finally: Microsoft's new business model for Windows 10: Pay to play:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts ... y-to-play/
mcintyrelr20

Post by mcintyrelr20 »

That's crazy! My pc, which runs windows 10 dosent have much ram, so that would be bad for my computer. Windows (10) already drives me nuts, maybe this would change my parent's mind about installing Linux mint 18. :!:
Inaksmfer

Post by Inaksmfer »

The most gives me a headache thing is the Windows password loss and we haven't have any way to restore them back ,
Veerstryngh Thynner

Post by Veerstryngh Thynner »

Hi all,

I'm using Windows only for a very select few applications to do with music production and video editing. But the buck stops at Windows 7, as far as I'm concerned.

My personal experience with MS Windows, on the whole, has been far from a happy one. But if Windows 8 was torture already, IMPO, don't get me started on Windows 10! I'll try and give it a wide berth, whenever possible. And if it's not, it has me cursing all the time!

Veerstryngh Thynner
Veerstryngh Thynner

Post by Veerstryngh Thynner »

mcintyrelr20 wrote:That's crazy! My pc, which runs windows 10 dosent have much ram, so that would be bad for my computer. Windows (10) already drives me nuts, maybe this would change my parent's mind about installing Linux mint 18. :!:
I'd advise against Mint 18.0: I had it on my laptop, until recently, but it proved consistently wobbly. I'd go for either 17.3 or 18.1, if I were you, for guaranteed stability. Your best bets, IMHO, if you decide to choose for Mint.

Maybe 18.0 has improved somewhat, in the meanwhile - but I wouldn't bet on it

Veerstryngh Thynner
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

This: Still no Windows 10 Creators Update for Atom Clover Trail CPUs
Thomas De Maesschalck wrote:17 July 2017
Three months after the release of the Windows 10 Creators Update, there is still no support for systems with the Intel Atom "Clover Trail" processor. Most computers and laptops with this processor are three to four years old, and this includes some of the first 2-in-1 devices. As it stands right now, these users have no way to upgrade their system to the latest version of Windows 10.

Microsoft doesn't provide exact details but there appears to be a fundamental driver incompatibility between the Clover Trail platform and Creators Update. Messages from hardware makers indicate they're working on this issue but it's unknown when Clover Trail users can expect the update.

ZD Net suggests that if a fix doesn't arrive within six to nine months, these users risk getting cut off from security updates. That is probably a bit premature as this is a special situation, but it's still pretty weird Microsoft hasn't resolved the situation yet.

And that's a big problem for owners of those devices. In the "Windows as a Service" model, Microsoft's servicing policy says, "Each Windows 10 feature update will be serviced with quality updates [security and reliability fixes] for 18 months from the date of the feature update release."

If Microsoft sticks to its announced support deadlines, any device running Windows 10 version 1607 will stop receiving updates in early 2018. In some cases, this cutoff date will be only three years after those devices were placed in service.
.. and Microsoft cuts off Windows 10 support early for some PCs

Sounds like more broken promises to me. Another reason to avoid Windows.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
CoffeeFiend

Post by CoffeeFiend »

I have an HP Pavilion laptop which came with 10 installed. I haven't had any issues at all with it. I do understand everyone's frustration with the fact that Microsoft is very intrusive and reserves the right to install updates whenever they want whether you like it or not. The only thing I have issue with, and it is very possible it is a simple matter of operator error, is that I loaded Mint on a thumb drive and attempted to get a live boot of Mint to work... but I failed miserably. Can't get the laptop to boot from the thumb drive. I am still on deployment and haven't actually had many opportunities to mess around with it and research it or anything, so I can't quite call it a for sure Windows 10 problem just yet. I'm still betting on it being a "I don't know what I'm doing" problem. But yeah, otherwise, no issues with Windows 10 for me.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Hi Coffee,

I appreciate that the OPTEMPO really leaves little time for hobbies.

Try holding down the shift key when you reboot. When the UEFI boot menu appears choose the "Use a device" option and select the "USB EFI Drive". Not sure it will work but it is too easy and won't hurt anything.
CoffeeFiend

Post by CoffeeFiend »

majpooper wrote:Hi Coffee,

I appreciate that the OPTEMPO really leaves little time for hobbies.

Try holding down the shift key when you reboot. When the UEFI boot menu appears choose the "Use a device" option and select the "USB EFI Drive". Not sure it will work but it is too easy and won't hurt anything.
Maj., thanks for the tip. I will give it a shot when I can. Yep, OPTEMPO has been high, but we are winding down the deployment and things are finally slowing down a bit. Navy Chief 24/7, though, so it never truly lets up, and I would have it no other way.

Return to “Open Chat”