BrucesWay Revised

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
Bruce R
Level 1
Level 1

BrucesWay Revised

Post by Bruce R »

Well Here it is, the Revised Version of BrucesWay Installation which will probably get lost in the chaos of other Tutorials.
Conforming to Forum Restrictions it is intended for Mint expert use in providing newbie/novices with a Ready-to-Use copy of pre-installed and configured LinuxMintSonyaMATE64 on an affordable USBkey by using Clonezilla and Users&Groups to 'spread the word'.
I have used it for many years with Ubuntu derivatives to conduct initial evaluations but with Mint Sonya Mark Shuttleworth's original goal seems to have been achieved at a fraction of the cost of other solutions.
Please have a 'no strings attached' play with the 64-bit MATE version to become familiar with BrucesWay installation which looks OK for Cinnamon, Xfce and LMDE2 Betsy which needs less partition space.
It's been a long hard struggle against bad medical advice but I hereby 'pass on the torch'.
Bruce R
Level 1
Level 1

Re: BrucesWay Revised

Post by Bruce R »

It looks like there are no Mint expert takers for what's been rejected, presumably preferring larger devices that have been banned from air travel, so I will simply have to find another way 'to spread the word'.
Meanwhile apologies for a couple of amendments.
To paragraph 9 please add 'Edit /etc/default/grub TIMEOUT=-1 and delete # prefix to GRUB_GFX MODE.
At paragraph 10 Append to the end of /etc/sysctl.conf, vm.swappiness=5 to use memory swap.
Alternatively, download the attached 05jul2017 version of the second part.
JusTertii

Post by JusTertii »

Hi Bruce,

Would you be able to explain the key differences between your method and the stock method of installing LM?

I've only done a couple of installs, so I'm no expert, but I've always found the stock method to be very easy to follow.

Cheers,

JT
Bruce R
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bruce R »

Sorry for the delay. The standard method merely install to a single partition. Mine installs as a Live USB plus a data partition that also be used by Windows.
After all that work it can be replicated with Clonezila with the actual Owner and Password changed with Users&Groups promptly allowing use on different host laptop or desktop PCs. Although Forum constraints have not made that easy for the 16GB example a 64GB Sandisk Cruzer Fit USB2/3 key is large enough to house a lot more at a fraction of the price of a new PC in an easily transported small fingernail size device.
Bruce R
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bruce R »

Sorry again but I should have added that whilst a 16GB device is large enough to be a powerful troubleshooting tool complete with a PortableApps suite etc for use by Windows, merely needing hostPC access, a 64GB device can house my entire music collection re-encoded as high quality 160Kbps VBR2 MP3s plus about 30 movies as MP4s to keep me entertained whilst multi-tasking. As to compatibility it even works on my twenty year old laptop as used by the original Ubuntu team.
Bruce R
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bruce R »

Profuse apologies to everyone.
In writing a User Guide I have completely trashed my PC and am first recreating a USB device to aid a complete re-build and have become aware of some mistakes like failing to invoke proprietary codecs. It will take a couple of weeks but I shall return with amended files and a User Guide.
Bruce R
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bruce R »

It has been like wading through treacle but I'm back with a complete re-write of MintToolkit creation.
In this era of the decline and fall of UKplc that's aided by Disbelief and Denial it's well-nigh impossible to get this FREE information taken seriously.
If I were to charge £250-£1000 for it, it would probably receive a better reception - Crazy - TANSTAFL.
Meanwhile as per the attachments it's working well as a MintToolkit off a small 16GB USB stick whilst a 64GB version contains all my Audio.

Return to “Tutorials”