Running Mint KDE 18.2 and problem with virtual with Windows 10

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Running Mint KDE 18.2 and problem with virtual with Windows 10

Post by wutsinterweb »

I have virtual box running and have successfully ran fedora, mint Cinnamon, and Kali in VMs in my installed Mint KDE 18.2 Sonya, but now, trying to install a VM with Windows 10 while trying to install it just sites on the blue window icon from the startup. Version is 1703 64 bit. I've tried searching for a solution but haven't yet found one. I saw where one person waited over an hour and it finally proceeded...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I've been using Mint for over 4 years, but I'm still a slow learner. I have a website: https://pickfetish.com. It is dedicated to guitar/instrument picks.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Running Mint KDE 18.2 and problem with virtual with Windows 10

Post by Cosmo. »

On the first step to create a VM you have to select the type and version of the guest. Did you select Windows 10 (64 bit) or anything else?

Is version 1703 the version of Windows?

Please describe in more detail, what you mean with "blue window icon". Where do you see this?
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

The icon/logo for Windows 10 appears and just sits there, it goes no further. 1703 is the Windows version, 10 64 bit.
I've been using Mint for over 4 years, but I'm still a slow learner. I have a website: https://pickfetish.com. It is dedicated to guitar/instrument picks.
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

yes, i set the type to 64 bit windows .
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

I've got it sitting there and it just stays on that first screen of the four page blue Windows 10 logo, no hard drive activity. I have PAE enabled, tried it with and without, tried with 3d video enabled and disabled, tried with efi enabled and disabled...

Next I'm gonna try my 32 bit iso. I wonder if my ISO is bad?
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

It appears that there is a problem with 1703 creator's update as downloaded from MS themselves. Other downloads run ok. I have just redownloaded and still the same problem.

Anyone know a solution?
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

My CPU core stays at 100% but it just sites on this initial screen with the blue Windows 10 logo.
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

I set paravirtualization interface to none and now it is installing, maybe there is a setting rather than none to use? I'll report back when it is installed and working if that happens.
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

Ok, yes, it installed but I wonder about that paravirualization setting, I read some people having trouble with hyper-V and I am guessing that that is what this problem is, could someone help me understand?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Hyper-V is usually the paravirtualization method for Windows guests. It sounds, as if some changes, which MS did with this build, prevent it from working properly.

Question in this regard: Which version of VB do you use?
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

5.0.40_Ubuntu r115130
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

This is obviously the version from the official repositories.

The latest version as provided by Oracle is 5.1.22. As I do not use Windows 10 at all I cannot say, if the latest VB version have some improvement regarding W X, but chances exist.

If you want to improve your situation, download VB from here. For Mint 18.x you have to take the Version for Ubuntu 16.04.
Before you install it, you have to remove the existing VB version from your system. Don't worry about the existing VMs, they will not get touched. After removing VB reboot the system before you start to install the new version.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

In fact according to VBox website the version in the Ubuntu / Mint repository is no longer supported - by VirtualBox. https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_5_0
VirtualBox 5.0.x is no longer supported!
You know, I get why the disto makers want to include VBox in the repositories but they really should just leave it up to the user to install it themselves directly from Oracle. It's a professionally developed package that installs correctly and even adds entries into the Menu.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

altair4 wrote:they really should just leave it up to the user to install it themselves directly from Oracle. It's a professionally developed package that installs correctly and even adds entries into the Menu.
This cannot get repeated enough. I wrote about this endless times.

Even worse: The nonsense of pre-installing in Mint the VB guest additions, which near to never meet with the used version of VB. Only basic knowledge of VB is enough to know, that the version of VB and the guest additions have to match. The nonsense is even at the top, as the pre-installed version of the guest additions - although terribly outdated - is higher than the version of VB, which the official repositories offer at all. Also this version of the guest additions do not even appear in the repositories! :roll:

My last try to explain the problems in detail ended with a question from me, where for Mint the proper place would be to do this. There came never an answer except the hint at IRC, which is not a suitable place for this. So the sad story will pitifully (and unnecessarily) continue. :(
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

Great, thank you all!

Interesting take on versions and repositories.

One thing about repositories though: For noobs like me, having a repository to go to that helps me discover stuff that I can use in Linux since I'm new to it, and that can get me started, there is an argument for that.

I wonder, what if there was a repository built into distros that listed apps and their respective sites with software descriptions in liew of providing the apps?

One other thing, isn't it more risky going hither and yon for apps rather than a safely controlled repository?
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

Cosmo. wrote:This is obviously the version from the official repositories.

The latest version as provided by Oracle is 5.1.22. As I do not use Windows 10 at all I cannot say, if the latest VB version have some improvement regarding W X, but chances exist.

If you want to improve your situation, download VB from here. For Mint 18.x you have to take the Version for Ubuntu 16.04.
Before you install it, you have to remove the existing VB version from your system. Don't worry about the existing VMs, they will not get touched. After removing VB reboot the system before you start to install the new version.

COSMO: I am running 18.2 Sonya on this system, rather than 18.1 now, which I have on my laptop. What version do I install for Sonya? Xenial, Yakkety, or Zesty? How would I have found out an answer to this on my own, too?
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

Ok, I had difficulty understanding the keys part so installed when I couldn't accomplish that part, but I removed the old stuff and rebooted and installed the new stuff.

Could someone explain the key part of this and how it's done, I couldn't figure it out.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

wutsinterweb wrote:One thing about repositories though: For noobs like me, having a repository to go to that helps me discover stuff that I can use in Linux since I'm new to it, and that can get me started, there is an argument for that.
So far you are right. But in case of virtualbox the repository version create more trouble than doing any good. The number of cases where I had to help users because of this unfortunate situation is countless. Sometimes less (= no VB in the repo) is more. And also sometimes I get the impression that the complete nonsense about VB in the repo and in Mint is only implemented to keep me busy here. :mrgreen: :lol:
wutsinterweb wrote:One other thing, isn't it more risky going hither and yon for apps rather than a safely controlled repository?
I am not natively speaking English and I cannot make sense out of this sentence, especially the word "yon" is nowhere in any dictionary I use. Can you please rephrase it?
wutsinterweb wrote:I am running 18.2 Sonya on this system, rather than 18.1 now, which I have on my laptop. What version do I install for Sonya? Xenial, Yakkety, or Zesty? How would I have found out an answer to this on my own, too?
All Mint 18.x are based on Ubuntu 16.04 = xenial; so it does not matter, which 18.x you use. In the release notes (here for example for Cinnamon 64 bit) you find this info at the very bottom.
wutsinterweb wrote:Ok, I had difficulty understanding the keys part so installed when I couldn't accomplish that part, but I removed the old stuff and rebooted and installed the new stuff.

Could someone explain the key part of this and how it's done, I couldn't figure it out.
What exactly do you want to know?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

wutsinterweb wrote:One other thing, isn't it more risky going hither and yon for apps rather than a safely controlled repository?
it's quite okay to goto certain sites, like in this case, over to the actual Oracle Web Site
- in order to get an later version, than is available in the official repositories.
but, otherwise - you are right & that is the downfall of the Windows System, as that's largely unfettered.
wutsinterweb wrote: One thing about repositories though: For noobs like me, having a repository to go to that helps me discover stuff that I can use in Linux since I'm new to it, and that can get me started, there is an argument for that.
that is the whole idea of an Linux System - - having a repository that you can use to discover stuff, that works.
but, you can go elsewhere - with some caution, though.

now, in my case - - I've got win-10 in a VB that was obtained direct from the Oracle Web Site,
- which is Cosmo has said. .. .
but - - I've got mine running in LM 17x, and not with LM18x

either way - - it should work, better than what you've experienced.
- you will need to enable the Intel VTx in BIOS in order to get win-10 to install.
and I've not tried version 1703, as yet, though.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

Cosmo, this part of the page:

"

The Oracle public key for apt-secure can be downloaded

here for Debian 8 ("Jessie") / Ubuntu 16.04 ("Xenial") and later
here for older distributions.

You can add these keys with

sudo apt-key add oracle_vbox_2016.asc
sudo apt-key add oracle_vbox.asc

or combine downloading and registering:

wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/ora ... x_2016.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -

"

When I clicked on those download links it didn't download, it showed a webpage with the number.

When I tried adding keys with those commands, was it dependant upon downloading them?

I also trying the combine procedure and that didn't work either.

Return to “Virtual Machines”