Missing scroll arrows in FireFox

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Executioner
Level 3
Level 3

Missing scroll arrows in FireFox

Post by Executioner »

This is driving me nuts...Firefox does not have vertical scroll arrows on the top and bottom. I've started to use Chrome instead which does have the vertical bar with the scroll arrows at the top and bottom. I found this info while googling:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... 175580868/

How do I go about editing that file since it's read only? I also would like to make a copy of it in case I screw up.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Executioner
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Missing scroll arrows in FireFox

Post by Executioner »

After more searching, I learned that I can use a 2 finger drag on the mouse pad.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

You need to open the file as administrator. If you're using the Mate DE, right click the file and select "Open as administrator." To backup the file before editing it, just copy-and-paste it somewhere else.

You should always give the version of Mint you're using and which DE (Cinnamon, Mate, KDE, or Xfce).
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I just tried this, and it works with no (so far) adverse effects! Thanks for posting the link.

EDIT:
I tested it first in Pale Moon, my default browser, and it works there, but for some reason it doesn't work in Firefox. Anyone know why it would work in Pale Moon but not Firefox? It worked 2 years ago in Firefox according to the link.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Okay, I found the solution. Starting with version 46, Firefox is a gtk3 program. So if you are using FF 46 or newer (you should be using the newest version anyway) you will need to edit a different file. See this link:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... 175585064/
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

If you want to scroll in FF (since 46) side by side with the scroo-bar you can use one of 2 methods:
Either click in the scroll-bar with the right mouse button, or click there by holding the shift key.
sbroccolo

Post by sbroccolo »

I've taken the info from the referenced threads, tested it, and add a tutorial -
How to "scroll buttons" or "scroll arrows to Office and Firefox
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=251022

Return to “Software & Applications”