I use linux mint 18.1 installed Oracle VM VirtualBox windows 7 on it (got a USB problem) Please help (SOLVED)

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
werner147

I use linux mint 18.1 installed Oracle VM VirtualBox windows 7 on it (got a USB problem) Please help (SOLVED)

Post by werner147 »

Hello,

First of all, let me say hello to all of you. My name is Werner and I'm a newbie on linux mint 18.1

I installed the latest Oracle VM VirtualBox ( virtualbox-5.1_5.1.22-115126-Ubuntu-xenial_i386 ) and uses Windows 7 ultimate 32bit on it. The virtualbox works nice but the only problem I have is the USB port don't work. If I use my usb stick on my linux mint 18.1 then it works perfect but when I want to use it in my virtualbox, the virtualbox dont see my usb stick. I have installed the Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-5.1.22-115126, to be able to use my usb stick in my virtualbox. But it does not work ????

the reason why I use windows on my virtualbox is because I have a Garmin GPS and the programs from this gps only works in windows. So if I can use the usb in my virtualbox(windows7) then I can use all the programs for my Garmin gps.

Please, Can I ask you kindly to help me please? If you got any questions, I'll answer them as quick as possible. please keep in mind that I'm a newbie and keep the help simple please. I thank you very kindly in advance for all your good help and your time.

Friendly greetings,
Werner
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: I use linux mint 18.1 installed Oracle VM VirtualBox windows 7 on it (got a USB problem) Please help

Post by Pierre »

in the control settings for that win-7 VB - - which usb mode is selected?.
- usually it's just usb 1 , but sometimes the other modes, will work.

also, sometimes, just un-checking / re-checking the usb box,
will often get the usb working again. this is a known issue with win-10, for example.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
werner147

Re: I use linux mint 18.1 installed Oracle VM VirtualBox windows 7 on it (got a USB problem) Please help

Post by werner147 »

Pierre wrote:in the control settings for that win-7 VB - - which usb mode is selected?.
- usually it's just usb 1 , but sometimes the other modes, will work.

also, sometimes, just un-checking / re-checking the usb box,
will often get the usb working again. this is a known issue with win-10, for example.
Hello Pierre,
Thank you very kindly to reply so quick. I'm online so I can reply quick.

[img]/home/werner/Bureaublad[/img]

is this what you've asked me ?
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

You need to be a member of the vboxusers group on the host
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=83715
werner147

Post by werner147 »

Bolle1961 wrote:You need to be a member of the vboxusers group on the host
hello Bolle,
thank you kindly for your reply, I'll do what I can to understand and try to do what you say. be patient please, I'm new at this, so its hard for me to do it quick.
werner147

Post by werner147 »

werner147 wrote:
Bolle1961 wrote:You need to be a member of the vboxusers group on the host
hello Bolle,
thank you kindly for your reply, I'll do what I can to understand and try to do what you say. be patient please, I'm new at this, so its hard for me to do it quick.
hello Bolle, I"m a new member of this forum, just like you asked me to do: https://forums.virtualbox.org

I've asked them my question to, thanks for the tip. I hope to get it working, otherwise, there is a other solution. that is to put windows working along side linux. but I'm new at this so I hope to get this working
jameskga
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jameskga »

This looks like a fairly basic problem, so you should not have too much trouble getting USB working on your VirtualBox!
They say your favorite Mint edition was the one you installed when you still went to school with your friends.
I am out there
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Here is something you might not like to read:

Using an USB drive inside of a virtual machine is a bad idea, because data loss is possible. The reason is the mechanism, how a usb device gets handed over from the host to the guest: It is, as if you pull out the device from the port without prior unmounting it.

Besides that: If you add yourself to the group vboxusers to have to log out of your account and back in to make it effective.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

It's realy easy to fix :

System -> Administration -> Users and Groups -> Manage groups -> vboxusers properties just tick your name and then logout or restart your system
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Cosmo. wrote:Using an USB drive inside of a virtual machine is a bad idea, because data loss is possible. The reason is the mechanism, how a usb device gets handed over from the host to the guest: It is, as if you pull out the device from the port without prior unmounting it.
Create a filter for that stick or wait a moment before you attach it to your VM. Besides that, he wants to use his GPS and that's no problem
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

A usb filter is for convenience, not essentially necessary to access usb devices in a VM. A wrong filter can create more trouble than good; so I recommend against, until the device gets recognized.
werner147

Post by werner147 »

Cosmo. wrote:A usb filter is for convenience, not essentially necessary to access usb devices in a VM. A wrong filter can create more trouble than good; so I recommend against, until the device gets recognized.
wow guys,

This is like a different language to me guys, I dont understand this at all :oops: I like to get to work but I need step by step guidance :oops:

I'm very sorry to say this, because this hase never happend to me ever. never been this frustrated in my hole life until now.

you guys are thinking "what a stupid ass" I think :(
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

werner147 wrote:you guys are thinking "what a stupid ass" I think :(
Whatever we think, with guarantee not that.

So in little steps: After having read my warning, check at first if you have added yourself successfully to the groupd vboxusers.
Open a terminal and enter groups. This will create a list of the groups, where you belong to. vboxusers must be listed there, otherwise this step has not been properly executed.
werner147

Post by werner147 »

Cosmo. wrote:
werner147 wrote:you guys are thinking "what a stupid ass" I think :(
Whatever we think, with guarantee not that.

So in little steps: After having read my warning, check at first if you have added yourself successfully to the groupd vboxusers.
Open a terminal and enter groups. This will create a list of the groups, where you belong to. vboxusers must be listed there, otherwise this step has not been properly executed.
Thank you kindly for your patience Cosmo

[img]/home/werner/Bureaublad[/img]

is this what you wanted to see ?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Yes, this is what I wanted to see. And as you can see yourself, the word vboxusers does not appear there So the step to add yourself to the groups is not yet done.

If we now go into little steps we need to check at first, which desktop environment you use.
Open a terminal and enter:

Code: Select all

inxi -Sz
Paste the output here.

Instead of providing a screenshot of the terminal you should better provide the output as text. Here is the how to:
Mark the complete result inclusive the command with the mouse and press ctrl-shift-C
In the forum click the Code-button above the text box, than press ctrl-v.
werner147

Post by werner147 »

Cosmo. wrote:Yes, this is what I wanted to see. And as you can see yourself, the word vboxusers does not appear there So the step to add yourself to the groups is not yet done.

If we now go into little steps we need to check at first, which desktop environment you use.
Open a terminal and enter:

inxi -Sz
Paste the output here.

Instead of providing a screenshot of the terminal you should better provide the output as text. Here is the how to:
Mark the complete result inclusive the command with the mouse and press ctrl-shift-C
In the forum click the Code-button above the text box, than press ctrl-v.
thank you for you help, I realy appreciated it very much

this is the text of my terminal:
werner@werner-SATELLITE-C660:~$ inxi Sz
CPU~Dual core Intel Core i5-2410M (-HT-MCP-) speed/max~1053/2900 MHz Kernel~4.4.0-83-generic x86_64 Up~6:32 Mem~1733.2/7891.1MB HDD~320.1GB(25.4% used) Procs~193 Client~Shell inxi~2.2.35
werner@werner-SATELLITE-C660:~$
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Please repeat. You missed the dash (-) in front of Sz. So the given output is of no use.

If you would also reread the last line of my advice, the output would be better readable. (For this small output it does not make a big difference, but possibly you have to give in the future a far bigger output.)
werner147

Post by werner147 »

Cosmo. wrote:Please repeat. You missed the dash (-) in front of Sz. So the given output is of no use.

If you would also reread the last line of my advice, the output would be better readable. (For this small output it does not make a big difference, but possibly you have to give in the future a far bigger output.)

sorry for my mistake, this time I got it right I hope :oops:

werner@werner-SATELLITE-C660:~$ inxi -Sz
System: Host: werner-SATELLITE-C660 Kernel: 4.4.0-83-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.2.7 Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
werner147

Post by werner147 »

werner147 wrote:
Cosmo. wrote:Please repeat. You missed the dash (-) in front of Sz. So the given output is of no use.

werner@werner-SATELLITE-C660:~$ inxi -Sz
System:    Host: werner-SATELLITE-C660 Kernel: 4.4.0-83-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.2.7  Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Perfect! You are already on the way of learning.

So as we now know the basic of your system:
Open the menu -> administration -> Users & Groups.
Inside mark your account. You will see at the right side near the bottom a list of groups, you are in. (The same, as in the output of the groups command further up.) This list is actually a button. Click and it will open a sub-dialog. Look for the group vboxusers and set a check mark. After closing all dialogs log out of your account and back in (or reboot). Now repeat the groups command in the terminal, you should now see also vboxusers listed there.

If this has succeeded come back with your next question.

Return to “Virtual Machines”