Would like to make avatar sticky [Solved] :-)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fred

Would like to make avatar sticky [Solved] :-)

Post by Fred »

I know I am a bit slow at times but I can't seem to assign an avatar in my profile and have it to remain sticky. What am I doing wrong?

Would someone give me a how-to please, or point me to an existing one?

Thanks.

Fred
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
garda

Re: Would like to make avatar sticky

Post by garda »

I think the problem is on the image hosting service side. What service do you use?
Fred

Post by Fred »

garda,

Thanks for responding. I was trying to use Google. I guess it is Picasso Public Albums, or something to that effect. You are probably right in your assessment. I'll try Photobucket or some other service and see if that solves the problem.

Thanks again. :-)

Fred
garda

Post by garda »

My pleasure, sir.

Your Avatar looks fine now. By the way, is that really you in the picture?

If so, nice to see you. :D
Fred

Post by Fred »

garda,

Yes, that is me. My daughter caught me at my favorite hobby. Taking a nap on the couch. :-)

Thanks again for your help.

Fred
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

I am interested to see a post about avatars - I would like to include a mugshot in my profile, but can't see how to install one from my files.

In other forums running on phpBB there is a provision to browse in one's own system, but that isn't offered here.

At a pinch, I suppose I could place a suitable small jpg file in our family Google group - but I'm reluctant. Anyway, it's a private group and probably wouldn't be accessible as a URL.

Any suggestions?
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
Fred

Post by Fred »

T J Tulley,

On the advice of others here in the forum I went to "Photobucket" and opened an account. I uploaded the pic I wanted to use and pasted the url to that pic in the forum profile. It seems to be working ok now. I was trying Google but it wasn't consistent.

Oh... You will probably have to resize the photo. It can't be bigger than 120 X 120 pixels, I think it is.

Fred
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

I got my Avatar to work a long time ago but I'm having no luck with Signatures, both text and another graphic, hosted at the same site as my normal (working) avatar. I have followed the size guidelines for the graphic; I didn't think text mattered! Any ideas?
garda

Post by garda »

Locutus,

My signature bar seems to show up here, does it not?

The procedures to show graphics in signatures are similar to that for avatars. The only difference being the URL to the signature bar must be enclosed in an image tag:

Code: Select all

[img]http://image.url.here[img]
Theo,

I have never used Google group, so I do not know whether your idea is feasible or not -- sorry.
Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Alpha-Geek »

locutus wrote:I got my Avatar to work a long time ago but I'm having no luck with Signatures, both text and another graphic, hosted at the same site as my normal (working) avatar. I have followed the size guidelines for the graphic; I didn't think text mattered! Any ideas?
Additionally, I've found that I need to check the "attach a signature" box in "Options" in each post to add a sig to that post. I haven't found a way to make that stay by default, tho.
When Husse pointed this out to me it was kind of a "DUH!" moment.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks for advice: no luck so far.

I've gone through the rigmarole of registering with PhotoBucket and uploading a suitably sized photo - I had one ready - and PhotoBucket has produced a URL for it "for message boards" bracketed between [img]and[/img].
I copied and pasted this into the Avatar setup page of the user Control Panel for LinuxMint forums, and it responds:
"The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again."

I've tried various forms, but no go. What next?

I've pasted the URL into Firefox without the 2 sets of [], and it produces my image correctly.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

:) Duh! :)

And according to the Preview to this post, my sig is there. Thanks!

@garda: I did have that set up but it never showed until I ticked the signature for this post.
Resistance [to Linux] is futile.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

I've never had any problem with my signature appearing - it is necessary to select the option Attach my signature by default: in Control panel->Board preferences->Edit posting defaults.

Now I've just tried pasting into my avatar the URL for e-mails et c. - without the [img]&[/img] delimiters - and hey presto! - my mugshot is there!

If this were my topic, I would edit it to say "Solved!"

BTW, what does "making it sticky" in the topic title mean?

[Edit: Now my avatar shows the mugshot retrospectively - which makes reading earlier posts puzzling for newcomers viewing the topic. I've noticed before that when I change my signature, the change applies to all previous posts, so that if they refer to my setup, it is not correctly represented as it was at the time of the post].
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Fred

Post by Fred »

T J Tulley wrote:
If this were my topic, I would edit it to say "Solved!" BTW, what does "making it sticky" in the topic title mean?
Good point. Would you believe that is the first mistake I ever made?... Didn't think so. :-)

My avatar wouldn't continue to be displayed over time. After a few hours it would disappear and I would have to reset the url for it. I think it was because I was using Google albums. Haven't had the problem since I went to Photobucket, as I was advised to do by Acid_1 and garda. :-)

Fred
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Would like to make avatar sticky [Solved] :-)

Post by locutus »

OK, now I've found the place of where to put it by default: "User Control Panel" -> 3rd tab from the left: "Board Preferences" -> middle option on the left: "Edit Posting Results", then Display Signature" check Yes and Submit the changes.
Resistance [to Linux] is futile.
Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Alpha-Geek »

locutus wrote:OK, now I've found the place of where to put it by default: "User Control Panel" -> 3rd tab from the left: "Board Preferences" -> middle option on the left: "Edit Posting Results", then Display Signature" check Yes and Submit the changes.
Ahem! :D DUH! :D again. (slaps forehead)
Thanks, Locutus.
garda

Post by garda »

And it was a "Duh! moment" to me too when you mentioned about the option, Locutus. :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”