[Solved] How to update Libre

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
greyowl
Level 2
Level 2

[Solved] How to update Libre

Postby greyowl » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:30 pm

I am running Mint 18.2 32bit.
I have Libre office 5.1.6.2 and want to update to 5.3.4.
I found the tarball on the Libre site but I don't know how to use it for an update.
Thanks for the help.
Last edited by greyowl on Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charlie
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to update Libre

Postby Charlie » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:59 pm

Type this into the Terminal .. Better still, copy & paste it.

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

greyowl
Level 2
Level 2

Postby greyowl » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:20 pm

Thank you, it worked.

I am new to linux and mint. What is the usual practice in regard to update of programs by most people? Do they usually wait until the updates are in the Software Center of Mint to do updates? Is there any problem with updating ahead of the time the update would be in the Software Center?

Charlie
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Charlie » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:22 pm

greyowl wrote:Thank you, it worked.

I am new to linux and mint. What is the usual practice in regard to update of programs by most people? Do they usually wait until the updates are in the Software Center of Mint to do updates? Is there any problem with updating ahead of the time the update would be in the Software Center?

I am new myself but I usually wait until they appear in the system as available. You may need to talk to someone more experienced about any potential issues arising from updates.

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Postby Cosmo. » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:08 pm

LO 5.3.x will most likely never appear in the official repositories. So you have either to add a matching PPA or download the file and install it.

Charlie wrote:

A very dangerous advice, as it circumvents the safety of the level system of the update manager. Don't be astonished, that at one point your system will give you troubles.

Charlie
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Charlie » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:14 pm

Cosmo. wrote:LO 5.3.x will most likely never appear in the official repositories. So you have either to add a matching PPA or download the file and install it.

Charlie wrote:

A very dangerous advice, as it circumvents the safety of the level system of the update manager. Don't be astonished, that at one point your system will give you troubles.

Beginners have troubles by default. All part of the learning process. It is a simple matter to reinstall.

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Postby Cosmo. » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:34 pm

If you don't mind to reinstall, it is your decision. If you advice a dangerous - and superfluous - command, than this is beyond your decision.

Charlie
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Charlie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:25 am

Cosmo. wrote:If you don't mind to reinstall, it is your decision. If you advice a dangerous - and superfluous - command, than this is beyond your decision.

I accept your point, but by not updating do you not open yourself up to external threats? If I were using Windows I would expect that to be the case, but as this is Linux, I am unsure.

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Postby Cosmo. » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:33 am

I do not say, that you shall not update. But you shall do it with the update manager.

Charlie
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Charlie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:35 am

Cosmo. wrote:I do not say, that you shall not update. But you shall do it with the update manager.

Yes, that is true, but the difference in the versions available was significant. That would seem to open a security threat/hole. But as I said previously, I do not understand Linux, so I could be off true.

Pjotr
Level 18
Level 18

Postby Pjotr » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:54 am

Charlie wrote:
Cosmo. wrote:I do not say, that you shall not update. But you shall do it with the update manager.

Yes, that is true, but the difference in the versions available was significant. That would seem to open a security threat/hole. But as I said previously, I do not understand Linux, so I could be off true.

You don't need to worry about having an older version of Libre Office. Security fixes are being backported into that older version, during the supported lifetime of your Linux Mint version.

Which means: although the LO version in the official repositories is relatively old, it's still secure. :)

More explanation (by Red Hat, but it's the same in Mint and Ubuntu):
https://access.redhat.com/security/updates/backporting
Last edited by Pjotr on Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Charlie
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Charlie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:56 am

Pjotr wrote:
Charlie wrote:

You don't need to worry about having an older version of Libre Office. Security fixes are being backported into that older version, during the supported lifetime of your Linux Mint version.

Which means: although the LO version in the official repositories is relatively old, it's still secure. :)

Thanks for the clarification.

Pjotr
Level 18
Level 18

Postby Pjotr » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:59 am

You might find this detailed explanation by Red Hat interesting to read:

(obviously written for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, but for Mint and Ubuntu it's the same)

Charlie
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Charlie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:48 am

Pjotr wrote:You might find this detailed explanation by Red Hat interesting to read:

(obviously written for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, but for Mint and Ubuntu it's the same)

I see. This is a good read too I think for beginners.

https://mintguide.org/other/412-10-tips-to-avoid-messing-up-your-linux-mint.html

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Postby Cosmo. » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:57 am

Pjotr wrote:You don't need to worry about having an older version of Libre Office. Security fixes are being backported into that older version, during the supported lifetime of your Linux Mint version.

I would not pay only a half cent for this. In Mint 17.3 the latest offered version is LO 5.0.3. Heaven knows, when this has been lastly updated, trying to open the change log from synaptic only gives, that the change log cannot be found.

We have seen repeatedly far too late (partially for months) updates to apply available security fixes also in other cases, where those fixes are even more critical, like Firefox and Thunderbird. And here we do not even talk about backports, but about very current versions.

So no, as far as it goes about applications my trust in the maintenance of the official repositories is near to zero.

Pjotr
Level 18
Level 18

Postby Pjotr » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:03 am

Cosmo. wrote:
Pjotr wrote:You don't need to worry about having an older version of Libre Office. Security fixes are being backported into that older version, during the supported lifetime of your Linux Mint version.

I would not pay only a half cent for this. In Mint 17.3 the latest offered version is LO 5.0.3. Heaven knows, when this has been lastly updated, trying to open the change log from synaptic only gives, that the change log cannot be found.

Then you can't judge....

Pjotr
Level 18
Level 18

Postby Pjotr » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:09 am

Charlie wrote:I see. This is a good read too I think for beginners.

https://mintguide.org/other/412-10-tips-to-avoid-messing-up-your-linux-mint.html

From the looks of it, the author of that particular page has been "inspired" by my "10 fatal mistakes" page:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... almistakes

:lol:

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Postby Cosmo. » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:11 am

2 things I can judge:

First the cases of missing updates for FF and TB, where the failure of the repo maintainers are out of a question.

Second: LO 5.0.3 was in the middle of the development of the 5.0.x branch. Not even the from LO developers themselves offered updates hade been applied for the half of the live time.

Besides that: "can not judge" means in other words: The promise to backport critical fixes is something, where nobody can give a proof. It means, that the user has to rely the security only a doubtful promise. This is the death of security.

Charlie
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Charlie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:17 am

Pjotr wrote:
Charlie wrote:I see. This is a good read too I think for beginners.

From the looks of it, the author of that particular page has been "inspired" by my "10 fatal mistakes" page:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... almistakes

It looks like he gave your page a lobotomy and then reproduced it. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery though.

Pierre
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Pierre » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:20 am

whilst the LinuxMint project is some-what conservative in nature,
so this would mean that some later versions of Your Favourite Program,
may not appear in the LinuxMint Update Manager.

however, it would most likely appear in the Next Release of the LinuxMint Project.
ie: that Libre Office - update to 5.3.4, would most likely appear in the LM19x series of the Project.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Newbie Questions”