Privacy being subverted by new laws

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Privacy being subverted by new laws

Post by Moem »

pacho37 wrote:What surprises me most is that so many people don't really seem to care.
I know, right? Or they'll say 'What can you do, they already know everything there is to know about me, privacy is dead ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

Which results in the same: doing absolutely nothing.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

DAMIEN1307 wrote:yes arch, between cable companies smart phones apps etc. we are feeding the beast...thats why i dont use google right down to blocking any tracking etc they try to do even though not using their services...the same for facebook...i also block their tracking...ive never even been on facebook yet they try to track everyones internet activity regardless so i just block them...smart phones?...i dont use or want one...i use an old fold up dumb phone......so my advice is...dont feed the beast...it is known to bite...DAMIEN
I have one as well but I swtiched carriers and need a smartphone for work. I have another flip but it is also wrong network.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

pacho37 wrote:What surprises me most is that so many people don't really seem to care. W10/Google/NSA/FB/the government spying on you? 'Oh whatever, I got nothing to hide...anyway don't bother me now, I need to post a photo of my dinner on FB and tweet that i just returned from the bathroom'.
LOL! Yeah...people put WAY to much information. Also, London led the way with municipal cameras and face recognition software, now becoming de rigour around the world. I love it when criminals think they can get away with anything and then wonder how they got caught.

What also amazes me is what people think is an "invasion of privacy". One guy here thinks planes going over head (small planes with an airport 2 miles away) is an invasion of privacy, and that's not anywhere near what we encounter every day.
It's a very slippery slope from "keeping the populace safe" to "big brother is watching".

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

The smartphone zombies are everywhere!
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Citizen229 wrote:The smartphone zombies are everywhere!

I know. They step out into traffic from between two parked vans and expect you to haul 3,000 pounds from 30 to zero in 3 feet. :evil:
The worst ones for this are Amherst College students.

samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Maybe we should have some fun with survellance like this dude in london lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npM-tWbyyiI
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

samriggs wrote:Maybe we should have some fun with survellance like this dude in london lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npM-tWbyyiI

trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I saw that Snowden quote somewhere on the internet, and in googling to see if it was a genuine Snowden quote, I found more of what he said:

“Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say. It’s a deeply anti social principle because rights are not just individual, they’re collective, and what may not have value to you today may have value to an entire population, an entire people, an entire way of life tomorrow. And if you don’t stand up for it, then who will?” - Edward Snowden

Snowden is a hero.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

..."government monitoring of its employees, citizens, and news media -- to protect its own interests, not to protect us from terrorists -- is becomming as fact of life."
STONEWALLED (Sharyl Attkisson p 337)
¡Viva la Resistencia!

Return to “Open Chat”