Xed in Sonya

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jbalint

Xed in Sonya

Post by jbalint »

Hi,
I am very happy with Sonya, congratulation! The upgrade went very smoothly. It also solved my network driver problem on my Acer Aspire V 13.
I have just a tiny sadness with Xed (1.4.6): an extension used by me very often is missing now: Change Upper / Lower Case.
I can't find it among the extensions any more...

Would it be possible to set it back again? I used it really intensively. Even I suggest to connect these functions with hot keys, e.g. Shift+Ctrl+U, Shft+Ctrl+L, which could speed up their usage.

Best regards,

Balint Juhasz
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Xed in Sonya

Post by JosephM »

This functionality is now built in. Right click on any selected text and it will bring up a context menu that allows you to do it.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Another small bug in Xed: the following three items in the View menu aren't localized (whilst Xed is fully localized in Dutch, since its first arrival):

Larger Text
Smaller Text
Normal size

I'm a Dutch translator for Mint at Launchpad, so I think these three strings currently aren't marked for localization....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Pjotr wrote:Another small bug in Xed: the following three items in the View menu aren't localized (whilst Xed is fully localized in Dutch, since its first arrival):

Larger Text
Smaller Text
Normal size

I'm a Dutch translator for Mint at Launchpad, so I think these three strings aren't marked for localization....
Ok. I'll look into that. Those were new strings added in this version.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

JosephM wrote:This functionality is now built in. Right click on any selected text and it will bring up a context menu that allows you to do it.
Doesn't seem to work. No reaction with those commands. Tested on 2 systems 18.2 Cinnamon 64 bit.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Pjotr wrote:Another small bug in Xed: the following three items in the View menu aren't localized (whilst Xed is fully localized in Dutch, since its first arrival):

Larger Text
Smaller Text
Normal size
Confirmed in a German system.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Cosmo. wrote:
JosephM wrote:This functionality is now built in. Right click on any selected text and it will bring up a context menu that allows you to do it.
Doesn't seem to work. No reaction with those commands. Tested on 2 systems 18.2 Cinnamon 64 bit.
Works fine here. Could you be more specific about what isn't working? Select/highlight any text. Right click on the selected text, in the context menu that opens it has "Change case" at the bottom. Choose your option.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I wrote in the editor hello world. Marked all, and selected from the right click menu "Change Case" all except the 2nd (out of obvious reason) choices: The 2 words are still as written as original. I closed xed and opened a previously saved file from inside of my home: Same procedure, same result.

If I use the replace function and enter there the above string as search expression and the same string, but with partially capital letters, I get the expected result.

Not related, but I just found this also (and the title of the thread allows this as on topic): Spell checker doesn't seem to work. In a test system with English language I entered some words in German language, some more in English. At least the one or the other should be noted as wrongly spelled. Hitting shift-F7 produces nothing than a note in the status bar "No misspelled words". I have checked, that the plugin is enabled and the language is set to English (United States).

Both issues checked with gedit in LM 17.3 and the same procedure; for both the result is as expected, so I can eliminate a wrong usage from my side.
jbalint

Post by jbalint »

Thank you very much.
It works fine.

Balint.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

jbalint wrote:

Thank you very much.
It works fine.

Balint.
Works for me, too. But I notice that this feature also isn't translated: probably because the strings haven't yet been marked as translatable, in this case as well?

Click on the screenshot to enlarge it:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

@Pjotr The problem with the translations is quite obvious once I went looking. I'll see about fixing that.

@Cosmo. I'm unsure what's causing your issues. Change case seems to be working fine here for both myself and others. I wonder what "path" you are hitting that's preventing it from working for you. For the spell checker, you said you were running in English but are other languages installed? Do you mind posting some exact text that doesn't work for you? Fishing a bit but if I can't reproduce it's really hard to track down the actual issue. If you're on a test system would you mind installing gedit on Mint18.2 and see if you see the same issues there?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Forget the issue about the spell checker. It works in xed 1.4.6 (but not in xed 1.4.2).

To explain:
I used 2 18.2 Cinnamon test systems. Both don't get extra software, they are only for testing purposes. So pure Mint.
System 1 gets regularly the available updates, so it has xed 1.4.6. Spellchecker is working there.
System 2 gets no updates, except the update manager. The purpose is to test the behavior of the update manager (which is obviously after applying the available updates not doable). This system has been installed with only the English language, no additional language packs. I used this afternoon the second system to do a counter check regarding the change case issue, and then did the spell-checker test. But I did not counter-check for the spell-checker in system 1. So far my mistake. I see now, that the spell-checker works there. (Needless to say that complaining about a bug without having the system does not make sense. That was not intended)

Regarding the change case issue:
I installed gedit 3.18.3 as requested inclusive the needed gedit-plugins. It shows the same issue. :shock:
I used this text:
hallo welt
hello world
(The first has the same meaning as the second in German.)
I pressed ctrl-a, than tried all available commands in the change case context-submenu. Nothing works. The text remains just as given above. This is the same in xed 1.4.6 and gedit 3.18.3.
The systems run as virtualbox guests. To be sure, that the 3D acceleration does not give a problem (this can happen in rare cases) I turned it for a second test to off. This makes also no difference.
So possibly an upstream problem?

I did the same change case test in the said system 1 with LO Writer (version 5.1.6.2 from the repositories): Here it works in all cases.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

First, thanks for taking the time to test and follow up. I had two suspicions about the spell checker problem. One, the library it uses. The second being the actual words. In English "welt" is actually a very common word even though it means something different. "Hallo" as it turns out is also an English word. It's sort of an old style term for "hello". One that I that I was unaware was a proper English word. So under English the spell checker won't catch those because they actually aren't wrong.

The change case functionality isn't actually provided by xed but by the GtkSourceView library it's built on. It's very possible the bug lies with that. It's not the only one I've seen. It is strange though that using your exact steps it works perfectly here. None of the other responders to thread have noted an issue with it not working either.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I just took a 18.1 system, also a pure Mint test system without additional software, only with current updates (as I described above for system 1 with 18.2). This system is a fresh install of 18.1, not an upgrade from 18.
Here the version xed is 1.2.2. (I know, that you know this, just for completeness).

And I found for the change case issue the same problem: No reaction at all.

Another test with Mint 18 / xed 1.0.6 (same conditions): Again change case fails.

So I can tell, that the problem is not introduced with the newer versions of xed; it must exist from the beginning.

I checked the package python-gtksourceview2, the current version is - as expected - in all 3 systems the same: 2.10.1-2build1. Now looking for it in my LM 17.3 gives the same version. So this doesn't seem to be the culprit.

But I see another difference between LM 17.3 and 18.1; if is related, is above my knowledge:
libgtksourceviewmm-3.0-0 - installed in 17.3, not existing in 18.2
But there is the package libgtksourceviewmm-3.0-05 in 18.1, not installed by default. I installed it, rebooted (just to be sure): No improvement.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Addition: To remove any doubts about the state of my test systems I booted the live system of LM 18.2 Cinnamon 64 bit: Also no change case functionality there.
slavko
Level 2
Level 2

Post by slavko »

I wonder... why putting this in context menu while, in the same time, putting "sort" in the main/edit menu? Both have been promoted at the same time from plug-ins to built-in-functionalities, both being previously in the Edit menu, but ended up in different places.

Can we expect to get ChangeCase back to main menu? I got used to that (and obviously I'm not the only one). Even better, how about keyboard shortcut(s) for ChangeCase? Yes, I'm using this function often...

Now, something different (but Xed related): is there a way to make tab-bar always visible? Right now, it's in auto mode (visible when >1 file is open).
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

I wonder... why putting this in context menu while, in the same time, putting "sort" in the main/edit menu? Both have been promoted at the same time from plug-ins to built-in-functionalities, both being previously in the Edit menu, but ended up in different places.
Just to be clear what "promoted" means here. These used to be handled by external plugins. They are now built in features of the libraries xed is built on so we just used what was available. Sort was moved to the main menu by user request. From clem in fact. I don't believe there is any reason change case cannot be. You are just the first to ask. I wouldn't want to say for sure without looking by I'd assume it would be possible to add shortcuts.
Now, something different (but Xed related): is there a way to make tab-bar always visible? Right now, it's in auto mode (visible when >1 file is open).
Currently no but this wouldn't be that hard to do either if users want that.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

If you have feature requests, feel free to open them here: https://github.com/linuxmint/xed/issues This is the main source of input. My visitations to the forums is spotty at best depending on how busy I am.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Another addition:

To ensure, that the culprit for the change case issue is not the virtual environment, which I use for the 18.x systems I started LM 17.3 Cinnamon in virtualbox and did a test with the pre-installed gedit 2.30.4. Result: It works there as expected.

Return to “Software & Applications”