Adventures in Manjaro...

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Adventures in Manjaro...

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Oh...I also had a dozen 320G hard drives..or I did. So I load whatever on to one of the drives (I have 6, I used the other 6 to fix friend's computers) and load one of those for play time, and I have a 4-disk drive bay I can swap drives in, so fooling around with different versions of Linux and Windows is easy, and also makes it easy to retrieve data or remove viruses (virii?) from other people's hard drives for fun and profit...another thing I use Linux ISOs for. Boot from a USB or a DVD and no worries. I have Parted Magic and Clonezilla on USB as well.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

So it's only been one year that Arch changed something and made it unstable. Or, more unstable than usual.
Hmmm isn't that about the time systemd was introduced to arch?
Or around that time?

Got to say I admire your attempts and understand why you would throw in the towel, I would of long ago so my hats off to you.
It was an intertesting journey there arch_eneny :D
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

samriggs wrote:
So it's only been one year that Arch changed something and made it unstable. Or, more unstable than usual.
Hmmm isn't that about the time systemd was introduced to arch?
Or around that time?

Got to say I admire your attempts and understand why you would throw in the towel, I would of long ago so my hats off to you.
It was an intertesting journey there arch_eneny :D
LOL! Thanks. I'm one-track minded...when I set my mind to do something, I either succeed or drive myself nuts doing it.

Now, would one of you boys in the clean white suits loosen the straps a bit?

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

lol and thats why I just leave it as stock as possible, so far so good, just hope it keeps up that way.

Well get ya some mint tea and relax a spell, I'm the say way with programming, I won't give up until it does want I want it to, but sometimes I have to walk away and take a breather and clear the ole noggin to get a fresh look at things.

We might wind up on the same ward one day screaming like mad men :lol:
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

samriggs wrote:lol and thats why I just leave it as stock as possible, so far so good, just hope it keeps up that way.

Well get ya some mint tea and relax a spell, I'm the say way with programming, I won't give up until it does want I want it to, but sometimes I have to walk away and take a breather and clear the ole noggin to get a fresh look at things.

We might wind up on the same ward one day screaming like mad men :lol:
<SNERK!>

CrazyElf

Post by CrazyElf »

How is the stability in Manjaro?

It does seem like a very solid distro and as a rolling release, with the latest packages.
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

CrazyElf wrote:How is the stability in Manjaro?

It does seem like a very solid distro and as a rolling release, with the latest packages.
Stability is fine, I change the repo branch to testing most of the time (if arch-audit shows a vulnerable package, and I know an upgrade is in Manjaro testing repos without bugs reported, I'll update it). Arch updates go to Manjaro Unstable - then to Testing, then to Stable. You can contribute to testing in the main forum, and see what problems, if any, others are having before deciding whether to get a package(s) from testing.

So if you keep to stable repos and LTS Kernels, you should be fine... remember that even non-rolling releases have regressions/bugs in some updates.

(My main reason for using Arch-based distros is the frequency of security updates, I use LMDE2 as well, which is updated more often than Mint main editions, but even that is often a long way behind Arch/Manjaro. For instance, the latest version of Chromium browser in LMDE2 is 57. something - in Manjaro it's 59.0.3071.115. But Thunderbird is the same 52.2.1 version, Firefox just one minor version newer 54.0.1. So if you don't use Chromium, and the Firefox update isn't security related, you'd not gain much by using Manjaro over Mint/Ubuntu (although obviously there's other packages that are newer) )

So for me, Manjaro is stable... for you? who knows ;)
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

I been using it for awhile now and as long as it keeps going well, I'll stay with it.
I got xfce running in stable and using kernel 4.9 lts and kernel 4.4 as a fallback, not ready to go 4.12 yet and will wait until the next lts kernel shows up and tested before updating kernels, I need it as stable as possible.
The only main issue I had was with the network applet/manager but just downgraded from 1.8 to 1.4 which I knew had no issues with connectivity and pinned to to avoid any further updates until it gets fixed
All in all I find it good and since I need newer software then debian provides and upgraded kernels and I need a rolling release it seems to be working out for me, I use to use lmde in the old days but to get what I needed/wanted I had to basically live in testing and unstable which made for intertesting journeys lol.
What I do before updates is go to the stable release of the forum and see if anyone is having issues/fixes for them before updating, it saves you a lot of headaches doing it that way.

If you just want newer toys with stability do what I do, if you want even newer stuff and can't wait and don't mind taking chances do what chrisuk does but be prepared to fix things if they get broke either way as per any rolling release. (example the network applet/manager in my case)

It all depends what and why you plan on using the system for, some folks don't need the new stuff so mint is a great fit for stability as my mother and wife.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

I love tinkering and Arch is a tinkerer's dream (or, nightmare, depending on your POV...) but you can get anything you want under Arch.

Back when Cinnamon was out I was able to get Gnome2 desktop running on it, as MATE wasn't out yet. That was the real reason I tried it in the first place.

I try to avoid keeping a lot of personal info on the computer, hence the thumb drives to hold bank info, etc, so tight security isn't an issue. So what I try to do is get it were it's doing everything I like and then avoid updates after that. There is far more photo software available to Arch than anything else I had tried to date, and you can load the GiMP to the max with filters and plugins. It was also a lot easier to get my Canon printers working under Arch than anything else. There is also a LOT of audio software available in Arch, and back when I had a band we would record in a studio and then mix the tracks down at home.

For stability I use something else, right now I find Mint to be the most stable thing out there with very few "surprises".

Oh, BTW, one of the issues I had back then was running the Gnome2 desktop: They would obsolete some libraries, and pacman would remove them and brick the system. I finally got it running again and left it alone. Maybe that's why I wasn't having the issues I'm having with MATE in Arch now. I never ran MATE on Arch before...

samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Gimp still takes long for me to load :shock:
I have so much loaded into it though I think it takes over 2 gigs just to load the sucker (last time I checked), so no matter what system I use it'll take long, but yup it is a bit quicker still, I'm dreading the day vs 10 comes out and all those plugins and scripts go away, I might keep 2 copies of gimp at that point or learn more python and just write the ones I want.

One reason I'm addicted to AUR is all the software available, even the main repos have a ton more to play with and all updated (not always in AUR but usually)
Oh, BTW, one of the issues I had back then was running the Gnome2 desktop: They would obsolete some libraries, and pacman would remove them and brick the system. I finally got it running again and left it alone. Maybe that's why I wasn't having the issues I'm having with MATE in Arch now. I never ran MATE on Arch before...
Just wondering if you couldn't of pinned down those obsolete libs so no changes would of been made back then or if there were certain ones that would have to be installed for the system with the update to work, probably not, systemd would of killed it anyhow and not being able to update wouldn't of been good for other toys.

Arch_Enemy what image viewer do you use, I'm thinking of switching mine, just need one to crop and resize so I don't have to load gimpers to use for that stuff?
Also what music recording software did you use, I just use audacity for making sound effects in games, I was thinking you probably used jack back then with llms or another one?
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

samriggs wrote: Arch_Enemy what image viewer do you use, I'm thinking of switching mine, just need one to crop and resize so I don't have to load gimpers to use for that stuff?
Also what music recording software did you use, I just use audacity for making sound effects in games, I was thinking you probably used jack back then with llms or another one?
I didn't know about 'pinning' then so...:(

For reviewing and sorting (and viewing) is one of the things I am stubborn about, and that's GQview. Plug my camera card in, GQ pops up and I can sort, cull, etc. It has better tools than Geequie, it's replacement. Gotta find 2.15 devel to get all the goodies. For cropping I click EDIT and...the GiMP pops up. :( You can get a 64 bit RPM and run it through Alien. In some cases you might need liblcms, but it's out there and installs easily.

I just looked to see what I have and there's something I have never used, called mtPaint. Quick and lightweight. You can edit the preferences in GQView and add it as an editor. I'll have to try that myself. I take ~15,000 pictures a year and edit them in batches ("Batches? I don't got to show you no stinking batches!") and use Aftershot Pro from Corel. Linux license is $59, but they put it on sale all the time. But it's like Lightroom, which is just as heavy as GiMP...

I didn't load a lot of audio software this time around, and can't remember what I used to use. You can use Audacity for multiple tracks, when I went to re-remix one of the songs all I had was Audacity. I clicked on the song and pop pop pop pop all the tracks loaded right up; cutting and pasting was easy. Here's some samples: https://onedrive.live.com/?id=489B0E073 ... 07394E3F2A

There's some real pro stuff out there, and I'm pretty technical when it comes to live sound, but this stuff just threw me for a loop. Ardour is similar to what a friend of mine uses in his studio.

Here's a list of some stuff. Ardour is the closest thing to pro software I have seen. I can't remember what he uses (I should; I built his system and installed the software, and we didn't have a lot of fun with the installation...) but Ardour is a clone of it.

BTW, GQView is highly configurable; I have 2 monitors, one for processing and one for viewing. In GQView I can set viewing for the 2nd monitor and see what it's going to look like when I print it.
Last edited by Arch_Enemy on Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

samriggs

Post by samriggs »

arrgghhh edit it opens gimp to clip, that's what I'm trying to get away from, no gimp for cropping and/or resizing but I'll check out that viewer anyhow.
Alot of times I need a quick resize or crop of an image and just hate waiting for gimpers to load to do it.
Just looking for a lightweight editor/viewer for this stuff to plow through some images at times.

batches no I don't need no sticking batches :lol:
got the plugin, well a few of them I think, but I know how to batch.

MyPaint has fantastic brushes, I use it for rough sketches with my tablet, but in gimp 10 they are incorporating myPaint brushes which I can't wait for, because they work a heck of a lot better then gimps tablet brushes with gimp paint studio (which sort of sucks compared to myPaint) so when I really need to paint I use krita instead which is a fantasic paint program but of course has a learning curve and has 16 bitand 32 bit floats as well as the old faithful 8 int and uses opengl for all you nvidia fans and great brushes that work great with the tablet and you can config it to your hearts content.

So looks like I'll stick with audacity, the next step would lmms then, I got the plugins for audacity for all the sound effects so I can create some half decent ones for the games I make, but I might eventually get lmms if I need to make music scores (so far I been avoiding doing that because if someone doesn't like it, it can ruin a game or they can just turn it off), but sound effects, heck ya their needed.

I downloaded your songs, I'll have a listen to them later on, I play a few instruments myself (well all strings, guitar, steel, base, mandolin) sort of runs in the family, we all play something or quite of few instruments.
Family reunions are just a big jam fest as is just normal visits.

Thanks for the links much appreciated :)
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

samriggs wrote:
MyPaint has fantastic brushes, I use it for rough sketches with my tablet, but in gimp 10 they are incorporating myPaint brushes which I can't wait for, because they work a heck of a lot better then gimps tablet brushes with gimp paint studio (which sort of sucks compared to myPaint) so when I really need to paint I use krita instead which is a fantasic paint program but of course has a learning curve and has 16 bitand 32 bit floats as well as the old faithful 8 int and uses opengl for all you nvidia fans and great brushes that work great with the tablet and you can config it to your hearts content.

So looks like I'll stick with audacity, the next step would lmms then, I got the plugins for audacity for all the sound effects so I can create some half decent ones for the games I make, but I might eventually get lmms if I need to make music scores (so far I been avoiding doing that because if someone doesn't like it, it can ruin a game or they can just turn it off), but sound effects, heck ya their needed.

I downloaded your songs, I'll have a listen to them later on, I play a few instruments myself (well all strings, guitar, steel, base, mandolin) sort of runs in the family, we all play something or quite of few instruments.
Family reunions are just a big jam fest as is just normal visits.

Thanks for the links much appreciated :)
I didn't mention Krita because it also has a fair amount of overhead as well, and figured you knew it anyway.

I tried guitar. I can play acoustic just OK, but can't move my fingers fast enough. Bass worked out just fine. :D

samriggs

Post by samriggs »

ahh one my youngest favorite instrument the Bass
and the ukulele (ya I know a weird one but he loves it :lol: )

Finally woke up and listened got to love the oldies :D
your band is great, love ccr, bad company and the zombies
can't go wrong with those bands, especially ccr

I don't play much anymore, usually only when family pulls out the strings my old favorite was my 69 strat wish I never sold that thing.
would of been worth a heck of alot more then I paid for it back then.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

samriggs wrote:ahh one my youngest favorite instrument the Bass
and the ukulele (ya I know a weird one but he loves it :lol: )

Finally woke up and listened got to love the oldies :D
your band is great, love ccr, bad company and the zombies
can't go wrong with those bands, especially ccr

I don't play much anymore, usually only when family pulls out the strings my old favorite was my 69 strat wish I never sold that thing.
would of been worth a heck of alot more then I paid for it back then.
You betcha! "The new ones are junk. You want one made before 1964" That's what we said in 1971. ;)

I don't know why the guitar player picked those. We had some even better ones than those.

COuld have had one for $400:

Current price, $25-30,000 :(

samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Nice is that an old hofner?
Haven't seen one of those around in years
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

samriggs wrote:Nice is that an old hofner?
Haven't seen one of those around in years
That is a Gibson. Very rare. I've only seen 3. My butt still hurts from kicking myself so hard. But, I was 14 and back then $400 was $1,200...

I DO have a...

Image 1969...

Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Manjaro-openrc will be discontinued

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-ope ... nued/28387

openrc and non systemd moved to its own distro called artix linux.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Lucap wrote:Manjaro-openrc will be discontinued

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-ope ... nued/28387

openrc and non systemd moved to its own distro called artix linux.
I don't understand what people don't like about Systemd. Before that it was Sysctl(?), had no issues there, either.

Return to “Chat about Linux”