Cannot start cinammon after 18.2 upgrade

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Draknof
Level 1
Level 1

Cannot start cinammon after 18.2 upgrade

Post by Draknof »

Hi,
I have upgraded Linux mint 18.01 which was perfectly running to 18.2 and ... it is not working anymore

I have tried to add "nomodeset xforcevesa" as indicated here viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257 which led me to the login screen but impossible to start a cinnamon session nor a cinammon2d session. However I can start the Kodi session.
I have tried to boot a USB key with 18.2 and it does not boot at all!

I have tried to unplug my video card and use the HDMI output of my core i5, I could reach the login screen but got the error "Upstart: Failed to connect to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused"

I would like to avoid to make a fresh install of 18.1 because it was quite painful to install the wifi drivers and NAS settings. How can I save my current Linux Mint installation?

My computer is
core i5 4570
GTX 970
Linux Mint 18.02 64 bits
dual boot linux/Windows 10

Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Draknof
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cannot start cinammon after 18.2 upgrade

Post by Draknof »

Could anyone provide some help please?
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Can you boot in recovery mode from the grub bootloader screen?
TacBeaver

Post by TacBeaver »

Maybe this is not a direct answer to your question, but I just had a similar issue. I upgraded from an older 18.x (can't remember which one) to 18.2 'Sonya'. The upgrade itself went fine, but once on 18.2 I couldn't activate the wifi on my laptop. So I connected my laptop straight to my router with ethernet cable. Just by doing that and restarting the laptop my wifi became active again. So after this experience my advise is to find a free cable connection to your router and plug it into your laptop. If that doesn't help try a reboot with the cable connected.
Good luck !

To the linux mint team : this may be a possible improvement for your next version :
- make sure that the necessary drivers for wifi are downloaded with the upgrade and can be found by the software
- as an alternative some kind of warning to the user when he tries to activate his wifi the first time after an upgrade that the drivers for the wifi are missing and that a cable connection to the internet may help could be helpful too ?
Just trying to help make a great distro even better :)
Draknof
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Draknof »

mr_raider wrote:Can you boot in recovery mode from the grub bootloader screen?
Yes and this is low I can get to the login screen and try this: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257
but it does not work
TacBeaver wrote:Maybe this is not a direct answer to your question, but I just had a similar issue. I upgraded from an older 18.x (can't remember which one) to 18.2 'Sonya'. The upgrade itself went fine, but once on 18.2 I couldn't activate the wifi on my laptop. So I connected my laptop straight to my router with ethernet cable. Just by doing that and restarting the laptop my wifi became active again. So after this experience my advise is to find a free cable connection to your router and plug it into your laptop. If that doesn't help try a reboot with the cable connected.
Good luck !
Thanks for your support but I cannot even start any graphic session, so I don't even know if wifi is an issue yet
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Select the recovery option and boot to a prompt to repair packages.

Try the following:

sudo apt purge nvidia-375

Reboot

Then

sudo apt install nvidia-375.

Return to “Installation & Boot”