[SOLVED] Error Message And Problem(s) Installing Graphics Driver (LM 17)

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ulfberht86
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Error Message And Problem(s) Installing Graphics Driver (LM 17)

Post by Ulfberht86 »

Hi :)

I'm trying out "Linux Mint 18.2" on my old computer. I'm completely new to Linux and I'm still running windows 7 on my main computer (I hope to change that in the near future though).

This is also my first forum post EVER, I hope it will be a good experience :-)

To the question:

I'm trying to install the driver for the graphics card in my old machine, which is now running Mint 18.2 (64 bit) and I have done as follows:

I open the terminal and type
lspci
and it says:
VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cedar [Radeon HD 5000/6000/7350/8350 Series]
I download this one:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/d ... 4&rev=15.9

(And yes, I know there's a never version of that driver now, but i discovered that a little late. I used the 15.9 version because i already downloaded it a few months back when I started trying to figure this out) :)

I type:

chmod +x AMD-Catalyst-15.9-Linux-installer-15.201.1151-x86.x86_64.run
sudo ./AMD-Catalyst-15.9-Linux-installer-15.201.1151-x86.x86_64.run

It installs without problems, and I restart my computer, but when I do, it doesn't boot to the mint desktop, but instead gives me this error message:
Failed to start the X server (your graphical user interface). It is likely that it is not configured correctly.
Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem?
I choose "yes" but none of the info displayed makes any sense to me... :?

I searched for a solution and read somewhere, that you sometimes need to install an older kernel in order to make a graphics driver work, but I also read that it could just be this Xorg thing that isn't configured correctly, or maybe it's both things in my case... Lastly I learned that there are official and unofficial drivers for Linux :shock:

to sum things up:

I want to get rid of the error message and uninstall the old driver so i can install a more up to date driver, but i don't know if it should be an official or unofficial driver, I need help to decide which one to choose and help to install the new driver.

Thanks in advance to everyone replying. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Error Message And Problem(s) Installing Graphics Driver

Post by richyrich »

That driver you downloaded is for Mint 17.x (Ubuntu 14.04). It will NOT work for Mint 18.x (Ubuntu 16.04). By installing it you may have broken the system where a re-install is necessary/your only option.

The Driver Manager program will tell you if there are any compatible drivers available.

Return to “Hardware Support”