So how far off is LMDE 3?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint Debian Edition 3

Post by axisofevil »

I notice that there is a very straightforward upgrade path in Debian from Jessie to Stretch.
Obviously, this is only to be expected.

What is the problem with LMDE?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You're mixing up two different things here. One is you can upgrade from Debian Jessie to Stretch. Replacing the packages you have installed from the Jessie repository with (much!) newer versions of those packages from Stretch. A similar upgrade path may be possible between LMDE 2 and LMDE 3.

However LMDE also has its own repositories. The packages in that repository have been developed, compiled, packaged and tested against the software (libraries and other operating software components) from Debian Jessie. There is not yet a LMDE repository with the same packages developed, compiled, packaged and tested against Debian Stretch. Hence you can't upgrade yet, because you can only upgrade the Debian repository but not the LMDE repository that goes with it.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

the approach I hope to take will be:

1. partition a new disk in the usual manner:
/
/home
/swap
/ext

2. copy my 2 user folders from my existing sysres to my new /home. my existing SYSRES is not partitioned properly: the whole system is in / and it has a /home folder rather than a /home partition.

3. install LMDE/3 to the new drive.

4. re-install programs as needed thus getting them from the new repository.

5. review change levels; install updates to any programs as may be needed -- LibreOffice, Darktable...

"Hope is not a Method"

I'm hoping the install of LMDE/3 will recognize the existing user folders and just accept those as the users. if it doesn't, then: "Plan B" -- rebuild the system from the backup drives.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
Mister.T
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mister.T »

Can't figure out why, as LMDE 2 is based on Debian Stable, that we can't do as Debian does as each "Stable" release comes out: just change the Apt repos and do a dist-upgrade ??????
LMDE4
HP Pavilion 500-260ea
8Gb ram
AMD A10 6700 (3.7GHz) 4 core
Nvidia GTX 645
zorzi

Post by zorzi »

Can't figure out why, as LMDE 2 is based on Debian Stable, that we can't do as Debian does as each "Stable" release comes out: just change the Apt repos and do a dist-upgrade ??????
This is risky and may break some dependencies between the Debian Jessie base and the mint system. But why not give it a try...
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

LMDE is kinda far from Debian... "...LMDE also has its own repositories..." xenopeek
that makes repairing or modifying LMDE a more difficult task, especially frustrating when something inane happens to a perfectly functioning system and us end users just want stability.

Got any more of those Level 1 updates?
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Mister.T wrote:Can't figure out why, as LMDE 2 is based on Debian Stable, that we can't do as Debian does as each "Stable" release comes out: just change the Apt repos and do a dist-upgrade ??????
The trouble is, as xenopeek mentioned above, that LMDE 2 is Debian 8 + extra Mint repositories. If you were to upgrade to Debian 9, you'd have the correct Debian repos but the Mint repos would still only provide packages built to work on Debian 8. Probably something would break soon.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Fred Barclay wrote:
Mister.T wrote:Can't figure out why, as LMDE 2 is based on Debian Stable, that we can't do as Debian does as each "Stable" release comes out: just change the Apt repos and do a dist-upgrade ??????
The trouble is, as xenopeek mentioned above, that LMDE 2 is Debian 8 + extra Mint repositories. If you were to upgrade to Debian 9, you'd have the correct Debian repos but the Mint repos would still only provide packages built to work on Debian 8. Probably something would break soon.
I actually tried that a couple times on test installs (LMDE Mate). It broke badly, as in boot-able but non-functional.
Your results may be different.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

If you desperately need Debian 9 you could always use pure Debian, it has a Mate and Cinnamon version, although I believe the Cinnamon version is 3.2 but still very usable.
lotech
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lotech »

I am looking forward to it too, just wondering if I will recieve notification in the update manager when the new version is out, as far as I remember upgrade from LMDE to LMDE 2 is not that straight forward.
Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only ;p
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

One more time: we don't know anything yet :wink:
lotech
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lotech »

Yeeeeaahhhh :oops:
lotech
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lotech »

I will wait I'm still young :lol:
zorzi

Post by zorzi »

Don't be too sad. LMDE2 still allows you to get last Mate/Cinnamon desktops updates. For me, this would be quite enough.

With my Debian Stretch, I'll stay stuck to Mate 1.16. I'm a little bit jealous, guys... ;)

Seriously, I admit that it's a quite long time to wait between Stretch release and LMDE3, but people using LMDE often has stability purpose than last applications releases.

Eventually, you may need a newer kernel in case of recent harware but you could pick it into the backports. To my mind, there shall not be frustration to stay with LMDE2 a few months more.
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

Not criticism but how long does Debian stable take to test for bugs ? :D Not sure what all packages in Lmde are kept/installed in dedicated Mint/lmde repo's though, shrugs. Ah either way am sure it'll be Debian'ey/Minty goodness when it does get here. Not even going to throw suggestions for alternative upgrade options into this. Some good one's already. People using their head(s) for more than growing of hair. :D

Also +1 everything Xenopeek said, don't even have to read all of what he's posted to be confident was all good info in em. Dudez got skillz ! :) Ok I'm getting weird been awake too long and gotta leave for looking for employment related stuff in 20mins, arghhhh ! Hope these potential employers are fond of zombies, who drool on themselves and fall asleep during the interview process ! Wish me luck and send some good vibes my way fellow nixers.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

lmintnewb2 wrote:gotta leave for looking for employment related stuff in 20mins, arghhhh ! Hope these potential employers are fond of zombies, who drool on themselves and fall asleep during the interview process ! Wish me luck and send some good vibes my way fellow nixers.
Tip: ask at least one question about the company, that shows that you've investigated it.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

^ Thanks and will do. :)
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Pjotr wrote: Tip: ask at least one question about the company, that shows that you've investigated it.
Sometimes they ask you what you know about the company, so make sure you know the history (at least most of it) of the company.
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

^ Appreciated :) ... think it went well, very little drool was involved. :D One down, one or two more to go fellas. Only tried Lmde2 for a 2-3 weeks but unsurprisingly was a really good and polished example of the Mint.
c++

Dormant distro ? ...

Post by c++ »

It is LMDE in inactive state ?

Return to “LMDE Archive”