Launch panel improvement suggestion

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Rayko

Launch panel improvement suggestion

Post by Rayko »

Hello, I'm using Cinnamon version of 18.2 and I find the 'vertical' placement of a launch panel more convenient. However, it seems that settings of a panel in this position do not work perfectly well and, in my opinion, rather limited.

My suggestion:
1. Remove limits on size change. Right now you can change width from min to max size. Max size in vertical position is still pretty narrow. Because of that the displayed time and charge icon can look very broken, especially if 'Autoscale the icons' option is on.
2. Make a user be able to change the height of icons of processes, also tray icons. While square icons are nice, with a wide panel they take too much place vertically, which makes them become ugly too fast when they are trying to fit. Why not to use rectangle shape instead, with a scalable square icon on the left part of it?

Here is an example how vertical looks in Win8. While Cinnamon panel is flexible and functional, there are still things that make windows bar more superior.
http://imgur.com/a/xSPB2
lyndave
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Launch panel improvement suggestion

Post by lyndave »

i find the mint 18.2 looks good and feels comfortable, however on the other hand the windows 8 was horrible and it looked terrible ....... i for one would never want mint to venture any where near the windows experience (no offense intended) just my opinion
Rayko

Post by Rayko »

i find the mint 18.2 looks good and feels comfortable, however on the other hand the windows 8 was horrible and it looked terrible ....... i for one would never want mint to venture any where near the windows experience (no offense intended) just my opinion
I will humbly mention that overall impression on windows 8 doesn't say anything about quality of it's particular features and, moreover, the feature that I described was there since Windows XP, at the very least.
CH1291

Post by CH1291 »

The feature has been there since Windows NT 3.5 in 1994. The Win Taskbar has always had the vertical option and the various components of it flow around seamlessly, grouping, hover-over and so on came later.
Windows 2000 was just Windows NT 5.0, Windows XP was Windows NT 5.1, Vista=NT 6, etc. Windows 95/98/ME were a totally separate line built on DOS.
The whole Win8 thing totally put me off MS, Vista was bad enough! So happy to be on Linux Mint :-)

Looking forward to improvements in Cinnamon... as I fully agree with the OP.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”