Steam F12 screenshot breaks after single use, sometimes won't work at all

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jameskga
Level 4
Level 4

Steam F12 screenshot breaks after single use, sometimes won't work at all

Post by jameskga »

The Steam interface has stopped taking screenshots with F12. It actually doesn't work with any key. It'll maybe take one screenshot at the beginning of a game, but nothing after that. Sometimes it doesn't work at all!

Has anyone else had this problem before?

I run Mint 18.2 Sonya Xfce (64-bit), my favorite release so far.

The games I play include:
Prison Architect
Uplink
Team Fortress 2

But I will tell you this right now: This broken screenshot feature is givin me fits. The untold stories of my prison torture chambers are literally screaming to come out. And I will not rest until their stories are told.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
They say your favorite Mint edition was the one you installed when you still went to school with your friends.
I am out there
4ndy
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Steam F12 screenshot breaks after single use, sometimes won't work at all

Post by 4ndy »

I can confirm strangely that with both my friend and I using Steam on AMDx64 machines running LM18.1 XFCE, I have had this problem while my friend has not.

See where this issue was posted somewhere that it might be helped.

I don't think the problem is down to particular games as I've tried it on both Steam games and FOSS games like UFO:AI launched via Steam. The overlay seems to work, but its screenshot function has never worked for me on this machine.

The only difference in configuration that I know of is that I installed some 32-bit libraries as per this issue in order to get the panel icon to work, which consequently un-installed some 64-bit stuff that I forgot to take note of.
jameskga
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Steam F12 screenshot breaks after single use, sometimes won't work at all

Post by jameskga »

Thank you. I reinstalled my operating system which helped for a while, then the F-12 problem returned :(
They say your favorite Mint edition was the one you installed when you still went to school with your friends.
I am out there

Return to “Gaming”