KDE Display Queston

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gillmt
Level 1
Level 1

KDE Display Queston

Post by gillmt »

Hi. I have been using Ubuntu for 18 months - love it and have three PCs with different Gnome OS, Mint is one.

I wanted to experiment with KDE - preferably one related to Mint/Ubuntu but I cannot get any live CDs to work. I have tried Fedora 10 and OpenSuse 11.1 - they both worked fine but Mint KDE and Kubuntu never boot up - I get a blank screen or a warning about the display. Does anyone have similar problems or have any suggestions please - other than give up on KDE!

-Computer- 1
Processor : 2x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+
Memory : 2063MB (557MB used)
Resolution : 1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL Renderer: GeForce 7300 GS/PCI/SSE2
Version : 2.1.2 NVIDIA 169.12
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation

-Computer- 2
Processor : 2x Intel Pentium D CPU 3.00GHz
Memory : 1035MB
OpenGL Renderer: GeForce 8400 GS/PCI/SSE2
Version : 2.1.2 NVIDIA 169.12
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation

-Computer- 3
Processor : AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+
Memory : 1812 MB
OpenGL Renderer: GeForce TurboCash PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!
Version : 2.1.2 NVIDIA 173.14.12
X11 Vendor :The X.Org Foundation
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: KDE Display Queston

Post by Husse »

Have you tried "Compatibility mode"?
In Felicia press any key when the live DVD counts down - can't remember right now if it's the same in Elyssa
Fred

Post by Fred »

gillmt,

I find it unusual indeed that none of the hardware you indicated you tried this on worked with any of the distros involved.

How are you burning the DVDs? If memory serves you would be burning DVDs for each of these KDE distros. Distros use pretty aggressive compression and must be burned very slowly, preferably in a RAW mode. RAW mode is usually listed as DAO, SAO, or TAO. Be sure and check the md5 sum of the download and let the burning software check the accuracy of the burn.

As you may have figured out I suspect a bad burn may be the root of your problem.

Fred
stabby

Post by stabby »

I have the exact same problem. Tried with mint 6 kde on dvd and on usb stick. I get "low-graphics mode" popup and then black screen. Interestingly kubuntu loads no problem on my computer, and mint 6 kde loads no problem on my dads dell inspiron 6400. It seems it's mint kde having problem with something in my hardware - I suspect it's the nvidia geforce card.
My comp is Asus G50V laptop, 4GB RAM, Intel Core2Duo CPU, and GeForce9700m GT
Non-KDE Mint runs perfectly well.

Return to “Beginner Questions”