solved directtvnow compatibility with linux?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JBUSA

solved directtvnow compatibility with linux?

Post by JBUSA »

I am new to linux (4days now) . Dual booting mint and windows 10. I cut the cable and have been with direct tv now for 6 months and love it. It works fine in windows using google chrome. I installed chrome in mint. But, its not compatible. Thats the one thing i use daily and I haver to go back to windows for. Anyone know how I can get direct tv now working in mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBean

Re: directtv now compatibility with linux?

Post by MintBean »

Welcome to Linux... smart move, my friend! :)

It looks like you're in luck. Try this...

https://forums.att.com/t5/General-Quest ... -p/4991196

It looks like the issue is regarding the user agent string. Basically, web browsers can be queried from any server and return a string reporting the name of the browser and operating system. When Directv see 'Linux' it won't play ball - despite being fully compatible, so you have to use an addon to spoof the string and pretend to be Windows. The same issue existed with Netflix until a few months ago, but by banding together and reporting the issue to Netflix we got it fixed. Please consider reporting the issue to Directtv. It's a really easy fix from their end.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "JBUSA",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Regarding the link and its information provided by "MintBean". There are various good "User Agent Switchers" available for most browsers without manually adding a "user agent" configuration that the article mentions, where you can just click to select options, for instance you may want websites (like DirectTV) to think that you are using a MS Windows browser on MS Windows even though you are actually using Chrome, or Firefox, or Opera, in Linux Mint.

This is one I have been using for a long time, and works with Chrome, FireFox, Opera, etc... In Chrome, go to the Chrome Web Store (extensions), search for "User Agent", and you will see a fair amount of options to install and try.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... iheolhjflj

Hope this helps ...
UserAgentSwitcher_Chrome1sm.jpg
UserAgentSwitcher1.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

If you prefer Firefox, there's a preference 'Enable DRM content' that you'll have to enable in addition to adding a user agent spoofer.
JBUSA

Post by JBUSA »

Thanks, but it looks like i am out of luck. I added User-Agent Switcher for Chrome 1.0.43. It allows me log on to direct tv now and the graphics load as normal but before video starts i get error message.
I talked to tech support at direct tv now. They say that linux running chrome is not supported and they have no eta as to when it will be. As of now only internet explorer and mac are compatible .I guess i'll have to keep dual booting.
Last edited by JBUSA on Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "JBUSA",

Did you try another User agent switcher setting like portable Android or iPhone?, maybe another user agent switcher addon, like the one in the link from Mint bean and following that instructions? How about trying another browser?

Good luck ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

God damn, you give up quickly!

Of course they will say it's not supported on Linux - we already knew that; but we already know people have had it working. At the end of the day, Chrome on Linux communicates just the same as Chrome on Windows or Mac, and it was only the user agent string causing the problem.

What error do you get?
JBUSA

Post by JBUSA »

Nope, not giving up. Just resting and regrouping. I have tried two different switchers in firefox and chrome and will try more as time allows. Suggestions welcome
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Did you enable DRM in Firefox? It probably won't work if you don't.

What error did you get?
JBUSA

Post by JBUSA »

yes enabled dram. Error message is "oops seems to be a problem here google chrome 50 +and windows 8+ are compatible browsers
Linuxdarling

Post by Linuxdarling »

I have Directvnow and this works with Chrome on Linux Mint 17.3. Here are the instructions I followed to add the user agent switcher.
https://forums.att.com/t5/General-Quest ... -p/4991196
Hope it works for you.
JBUSA

Post by JBUSA »

I did everything exactly as you suggested. Still no luck. I am running Mint 18.2 sonya. Could that be the problem? Should i try the version you have?
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

JBUSA wrote:I did everything exactly as you suggested. Still no luck. I am running Mint 18.2 sonya. Could that be the problem? Should i try the version you have?
Hmmm, just looked at the thread I linked and a later post said it's not working in 18.2. Wish I could try it myself but I don't have a subscription.

In regards to the error, what version of Chrome are you using and what user agent are you spoofing?
JBUSA

solved Re: directtv now compatibility with linux?

Post by JBUSA »

Thanks for the help. Directtvnow is now working. I am using chrome v 60.0.3112.78 and user agent for chrome v 1.8.26.. what i did to get it working was RIGHT clicked on the user agent icon on top right corner of the screen.when the menu opened left clicked on google chrome and opened the user string i had created. I also deleted all the other saved user strings and groups and clicked on remember last used user agent at next startup. Thanks again for your help.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Good stuff. Please consider contacting them to say all they need to do is accept a Linux user agent string to get this working for users. It's a really easy fix.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: solved Re: directtv now compatibility with linux?

Post by phd21 »

Hi "JBUSA",

That is great that you got it working now. I had a feeling that a "user agent switcher" approach would work based on the "MintBean" article.

+1 with "MintBean" comments, please contact DirectTV, and have them update their website to "allow Linux user agent strings", which should be a relatively easy task for any web developer. You might also consider updating or adding to that post referenced in that article in the link from MintBean that you too were successful.

Is this the Chrome add-on extension you used? Did you use the same instructions from that link or did you customize it, if so how exactly?

User-Agent Switcher for Google Chrome - Chrome Web Store:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... dake?hl=en

JBUSA

Re: solved directtvnow compatibility with linux?

Post by JBUSA »

Yes, that's the extension I used. I used mintbeans instructions. I also deleted all other previously created user groups and user agents that were listed in the menu. For some reason there were user groups listed for firefox, internet explorer, and google chrome. I left google chrome and created a new user agent. I then right clicked on the user agent icon in the top right corner of the screen and selected the user agent I had just created. One other question. I have 43 updates available to install. in reading the description of these updates, they don't seem to be of importance to the security of the system. I have read the help files and am concerned about possible regression. My system is stable, can i just not install these updates They are level 1 and 2. A couple of 3s.
JayBird707
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JayBird707 »

I guess I'm missing something along the way. I installed the Chrome Extension and created the suggested User Agent.

I can now go on the DirecTV web site without any errors like your browser doesn't like us. I can bring up a movie to play BUT then it wants to install the DirecTV Player which fails to install.

Please tell wm what I'm missing. Thanks!
ASRock H470M-ITX/ac Home Build on Linux Mint Cinnamon!
Dell Studio 1737 Laptop, HP6300 SFF Desktop, Intel NUC NUC7CJYH Mini All on Linux Mint XFCE!
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi JayBird707,

Maybe these articles will help.

DirecTV Now Linux - AT&T Community
https://forums.att.com/t5/DIRECTV-NOW-T ... -p/5541023

Solved: HERES HOW TO WATCH DIRECTV NOW ON LINUX MINT/UBUNT... - Page 3 - AT&T Community
https://forums.att.com/t5/DIRECTV-NOW-I ... 196/page/3

Solved: HERES HOW TO WATCH DIRECTV NOW ON LINUX MINT/UBUNT... - Page 6 - AT&T Community
https://forums.att.com/t5/DIRECTV-NOW-I ... 196/page/6

While researching another post, I found another application that might also work for DirectTV called QtWebFlix. I requested more information from the developer if it can be used for DirectTV, but I have not yet heard back from them.

qtwebflix: A qt webengine program for netflix
https://github.com/gort818/qtwebflix

Hope this helps ...
JayBird707
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JayBird707 »

I just realized what I am missing. This thread is for DirecTV Now. I just subscribed to regular DirecTV and included is streaming capability but it looks like only Win and Mac. I can't find the right thread for DirecTV (if one exists). Thanks for trying to help and getting me to realize mu shortsightedness.
ASRock H470M-ITX/ac Home Build on Linux Mint Cinnamon!
Dell Studio 1737 Laptop, HP6300 SFF Desktop, Intel NUC NUC7CJYH Mini All on Linux Mint XFCE!

Return to “Beginner Questions”