Browse windows break Gnome

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
viking777

Re: Browse windows break Gnome

Post by viking777 »

I don't know whether this site will help at all, it seems to suggest that your card should be OK as long as it has 64Mb ram of its own.

http://wiki.compiz-fusion.org/Hardware/NVIDIA

Given when this is happening, I wonder if it might be a problem with Nautilus, though why it should disappear when you switch off desktop effects I don't know.

Have a go at this. Open a terminal and (with effects switched on) type:

Code: Select all

nautilus /home/yourusername/Documents
Assuming of course you have a folder in your home called 'Documents' if not choose something else.

See if you get any warnings and if possible copy them (or note down the basics if you get another freeze) and post the results here. That might give us a clue.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

In that case I would open Compiz Config Settings Manager and have a trawl around in there for a setting that relates to resizing and then just disable or alter that particular setting and see what happens then. I can't be more specific than that because I don't use Compiz so for me CCSM is empty.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I don't even use Gnome, I use Xfce, which suits me better, it is capable of running a compositing window manager - which allows me to use the awn dock - but does not have any visual effects which I find superfluous, even annoying.

BTW thank you very much for asking that question. It prompted me to think why do I have CCSM installed when I don't have Compiz? The answer to that question is that I have just never thought to remove it before, now I have, so thank you for reminding me.
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

I don't have an Nvidia card in my laptop, however I read somewhere (can't remember what site it was), but it mentioned something about the 180.x driver not working properly. I think the 177.x driver was said to work better. Maybe give that a try?

Return to “Beginner Questions”