Change folder view from icon to list [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
crgibson

Change folder view from icon to list [SOLVED]

Post by crgibson »

I'm a newbie running Linux Mint 18.1 Serena. Would like to know how to change the default folder view from icon to list in all my folders at one time? I currently have about 4500 folders. Also would like to know if I can NOT have extensions show in file names?

Thanks for any help. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Change folder view from icon to list

Post by austin.texas »

Assuming that you are using Nemo, "View new folders using ..." is the first thing you see when you open Edit > Preferences at the top of the list.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
EmpireITtech

Post by EmpireITtech »

Also, what LM 18.1 version are you using - Cinnamon, Mate, KDE, or Xfce? Bc I believe the default file manager is different for all of them...
  • Cinnamon is Nemo
    Mate is Caja
    KDE is Dolphin
    Xfce is Thunar I believe
So it might be slightly different depending on which version of Mint you are running, but austin.texas is correct > go into Preferences > change the Default View to list/details. As for removing the file type - I know you can remove the column in the "List Columns" area, but I do not see the file extensions on the files when in list/details mode...
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

In KDE it is even simpler:
In the toolbar you find 3 buttons, one for icons, one for compact view and one for details view mode.
Just click the one you like to use and all folders show files and folders in that way.
On this picture they are the third, fourth and fifth from the left.
crgibson

Post by crgibson »

Thanks for quick answer. I somehow missed the answer when trying find it.
Thanks again (how do I mark this as solved?)
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

crgibson wrote:Thanks for quick answer. I somehow missed the answer when trying find it.
Thanks again (how do I mark this as solved?)
I am glad you got it worked out !
Go to your first post, click the EDIT (pencil) icon, and add [SOLVED] to the title.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
crgibson

Post by crgibson »

EmpireI\TYech

Using Cinnamon. I saw the 'List Columns' but nothing anywhere about extensions as part of the Name.

Thanks again
crgibson

Re: Change folder view from icon to list [SOLVED]

Post by crgibson »

DeMus

Sorry to be so dumb, but how to I get to KDE?

Thanks
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

crgibson wrote:how to I get to KDE?
You would have to install the KDE version of Mint - (a new installation).
Linux Linx 2018
crgibson

Post by crgibson »

austin.texas

I feel even more dumb now. I will do some checking and study up on how to get KDE installed.

Thanks for your help.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

As austin said: You have to do a new installation of Mint. Might be a side-by-side installation (= dual booting).
graham-h
Level 1
Level 1

Post by graham-h »

.. but I can't get this setting to stick when using Elevated Privileges. Where does nemo store its config for root?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

graham-h wrote:.. but I can't get this setting to stick when using Elevated Privileges. Where does nemo store its config for root?
It is the same as any user.
Open Nemo, as root, and then do Edit > Preferences > List View
Linux Linx 2018
graham-h
Level 1
Level 1

Post by graham-h »

austin.texas wrote:
graham-h wrote:.. but I can't get this setting to stick when using Elevated Privileges. Where does nemo store its config for root?
It is the same as any user.
Open Nemo, as root, and then do Edit > Preferences > List View
Thanks, but like I say, it doesn't stick. If I close the preferences dialogue then re-open it, the default goes back to icon view.

Edit: It's working now - don't know what's different - maybe it heard you! Thanks again.

Return to “Beginner Questions”