OOo, Firefox, Thunderbird as Icons on desktop

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

OOo, Firefox, Thunderbird as Icons on desktop

Post by Meteor »

Good afternoon.

I have just installed Felicia XFCE CE but am unable to get OOo Writer, Calc, Firefox and Thunderbird as icons on the desktop so I may just click to start the programs. I am not a fan of the pop-up menu at the bottom left of the screen, then highlighting the appropriate category and selecting the program. I've tried using the mouse to get the programs onto the desktop but neither the left or right button will do this.

My question is obvious: how do I do it? I assume that I am just not seeing the obvious...

Thank you,
Meteor
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: OOo, Firefox, Thunderbird as Icons on desktop

Post by viking777 »

I may possibly be wrong but I don't think there is a way to do this in Xfce. You put them on your taskbar instead - right click/add item/launcher then configure for whatever launchers you want.

They are much more useful there anyway, they can't get covered with open windows. If you think that takes up too much space then add a second panel (Settings/Panel Manager) and put them there - autohide is a good idea with this.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

I don't like icons on my desktop, but I found this way through trial and error

* Open 2 instances of Thunar
* In the first one open: /usr/share/applications
* In the other one open: /home/YOUR_USERNAME/Desktop
* Drag the files you want to appear on your desktop, from the "application" folder to your "Desktop" folder

* * * Done! * * *
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Zwopper wrote:I don't like icons on my desktop, but I found this way through trial and error

* Drag the files you want to appear on your desktop, from the "application" folder to your "Desktop" folder

* * * Done! * * *
Never thought of that!!!

In the way Mint has Xfce set up you can also right click on the desktop and just select create launcher. You will have to know the terminal command to open your app though.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I don't like icons on my desktop, but I found this way through trial and error

Good one Zwopper!
In the way Mint has Xfce set up you can also right click on the desktop and just select create launcher
That is interesting FedoraRefugee, I don't get any such option to do that on right click - still never mind, like Zwopper I don't want icons there anyway.
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Meteor »

Thank you for your responses. Viking777, it appears to me that only selected items can be installed this way. It doesn't list OOo, Firefox or Thunderbird as an item to select. I got nowhere with my attempt.

Zwopper, good suggestion. I don't mind using the "Task Bar" (isn't that an M$ term???), but will try Thunar and see what I get. I've never used or seen Thunar. If I can get it to work, things will be great for me and my "Task Bar" still has plenty of room. I shall report back...

Meteor
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Meteor wrote:Thank you for your responses. Viking777, it appears to me that only selected items can be installed this way. It doesn't list OOo, Firefox or Thunderbird as an item to select. I got nowhere with my attempt.

Zwopper, good suggestion. I don't mind using the "Task Bar" (isn't that an M$ term???), but will try Thunar and see what I get. I've never used or seen Thunar. If I can get it to work, things will be great for me and my "Task Bar" still has plenty of room. I shall report back...

Meteor
No, you have missed the point my friend, I didn't say that you right click the panel and add Firefox I said that you right click the panel and add 'launcher' you then configure 'launcher' to launch firefox. It is a two stage process.

Anyway, you will probably be happier with Zwopper's solution.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

viking777 wrote:That is interesting FedoraRefugee, I don't get any such option to do that on right click - still never mind, like Zwopper I don't want icons there anyway.
I think I may know why. On older versions of Xfce you have to right click the trash icon. Also, be sure that your desktop icons are even enabled in your settings manager/desktop. I assure you that the option is there in newer versions, I am running 4.6 now bit it worked with the default Mint 6 Xfce CE also.

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Ok here is the way the XFCE DEVs made it.
Open Appfinder from the menu.
Locate the applications in Appfinder
Then drag and drop it to the desktop.
You can also drag into the new launcher for the panel.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Merlwiz, FedoraRefugee,

You are both right. I used Merlwiz's excellent method to put an icon on the desktop then found that if I right click the icon and select 'Desktop' I get the option to 'Add launcher' otherwise I don't. Of course, if you know Merlwiz's method I guess you don't really need the option to 'add launcher' - unless you want to launch something that Appfinder doesn't know about.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

It's all about choices! ;)
...and the freedom to choose!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4

Return to “Xfce”