Install Evernote on Linux Mint 18.2, 64 bits, KDE edition [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
juan

Install Evernote on Linux Mint 18.2, 64 bits, KDE edition [SOLVED]

Post by juan »

I am a very active user of Evernote, and I have recently moved to Linux. I would like to keep on using Evernote as I used to do, but the web version is not good enough, since I cannot use it off-line. Therefore, I have tried many ways to install the Evernote app on Linux Mint. I tried to use Wine through Playonlinux, but it was not able to make it work properly. I also tried wine alone itself, but I failed again. Please, could someone help me with this issue? I use this app for taking notes at class, so it is very important for me to get this fixed up. As I have said in the subject, I am currently using Linux Mint 18.2, 64 bits, KDE edition. Thanks so much for the help!
Last edited by juan on Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
killer de bug

Re: Install Evernote on Linux Mint 18.2, 64 bits, KDE edition

Post by killer de bug »

You can check NixNote: http://www.nixnote.org/
Paladin2019

Post by Paladin2019 »

I use Nixnote 2.0 and while it's not perfect and doesn't exactly replicate the function of the official app it's as good as it gets on Linux if the web interface is not an option.

If you're a free user Nixnote doesn't count against your 'device' limit either, so with my phone, tablet and PC I've got 3 running on a 2-device limit!
vcosn

Post by vcosn »

Evernote have officially announced that they will not build a client for linux.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/arti ... -for-Linux

I've used Nixnote and it isn't the same, but will get the job done. It is better to use the browser client whenever possible and only use NixNote to sync offline.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Before trying to run anything with Wine you should look it up at the WIne app database. And remember that anything rated less than Gold is rubbish. Most apps do not work.

So you may as well try nixnote. However, I thought I'd try installing it on my Mint 17.3 netbook just now. Opening the .deb file (nixnote2-2.0_amd64.deb) in gdebi and using Lintian test mode, however, gives me this:

W: nixnote2: wrong-name-for-changelog-of-native-package usr/share/doc/nixnote2/changelog.Debian.gz
W: nixnote2: latest-debian-changelog-entry-without-new-version
W: nixnote2: latest-debian-changelog-entry-changed-to-native

Lintian finished with exit status 0

And that doesn't look encouraging. This is why I tend to avoid non repo sources. Don't know what to say here ...
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
juan

Post by juan »

Thank you all so much for the help! I had heard about Nixnote, but I thought it was a different program with their own servers, I didn't know I could connect it to my Evernote account. It's not the best I have, but I found out about this new app (no wine is needed): https://github.com/champloohq/tusk/rele ... -amd64.deb. It works just like the Evernote web version, so you cannot use it offline. So I'm combining Nixnote, for working offline, and Tusk, for online working. Even it is not the best solution, is a solution, so that's good enough for me. Anyway, let's not lose hope that one day Evernote will change its mind and release an app for Linux users...
Thanks once again for all the help!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Install Evernote on Linux Mint 18.2, 64 bits, KDE edition [SOLVED]

Post by AZgl1800 »

I am a devoted Evernote user and have been for 15 years or so.

I too, am frustrated that the developers choose not to support Linux.
I am using the web access method, and it is a Royal Pain if you make a simple mistake, and leave it open and not close it. Causes duplicate files, lost files also.... and then a few weeks later, that lost file showed up again?? Didn't complain, just copied all of it off and stored it elsewhere.

Never heard of NixNote, but I will be looking at it now.

Also, will be following this thread to see if anymore developments arise.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
vishgaur
Level 3
Level 3

Post by vishgaur »

I was like you too. I deleted 95 page novel from Evernote that I was still writing.
Left Evernote forever since it did not work with my new OS switch (Win 10 to LM 19).
I use mostly the cross platform apps. I know there was always an option for me to backup or to use web interface but then I realized that the work was not getting too good, I needed a restart. Evernote had also became bulky recently. Evernote went on the path of ES file explorer, from best to the rest in peace. Its increasing limitations on free accounts day by day along with many other issues were enough for me to leave it altogether.
I write in simple text formats now and publish on my websites. For images/other formats I have my PHONE! Pocket and Google keep via browser apps work on linux desktop quite well.
Since 2003 on computers, since 2014 on Linux.

Blog: https://www.inksup.wordpress.com
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I am still depending on Evernote,
BUT........... I do NOT use it to create original manuscripts,
I only use it for saving notes that I paste into a "new note", or modify existing notes.

and, I only use it now as a web app.... they have strangled the ability for the actual desktop apps to work well.

I deleted the desktop app off of my Win7 desktop where it has been for more than 10 years, and used to be quite functional.... but, they are continuing to screw around with the api's and that made the desktop app of 10 years ago broken.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
PJO3

Post by PJO3 »

Having used Evernote for many many years I have finally ditched it as part of my migration to Linux. I had tried it under WINE and either it didn't run at all (latest version) or it worked badly (older versions).

I'm using Joplin on Mint and find it a good substitute in most respects. I was not however using online OCR or any other advanced features. I've had only two issues so far:

1. Joplin doesn't deal with subnotebooks.
2. It doesn't encrypt individual notes, just, optionally, the entire database (on the assumption that the device is secure)

The first was a mild annoyance but the workaround is fine for now, which is simply to export each subnotebok individually and then import it into Joplin. Very slighly labour intensive if you have a lot of subnotebooks, but good for maintaining things in a familiar structure.

The idea that someone could find your computer unattended and simply open Joplin and then read any confidential info was a non-starter for me. The solution was to keep Joplin for non-confidential information and to shift the sensitive stuff (banking information say) to a separate application that prompts for a password before the contents can be read. I use TiddlyWiki for this (www.tiddlywiki.com; this doesn't have the synchronisation built in that Joplin does but I have things set up so that it gets synced to WebDAV accessible storage online and if necessary I can get to it with a web browser (first accessing via logon credentials, then using a password to decrypt).

Both Joplin and TiddlyWiki are fully open source tools that leave you in full control of your information and with no recurring bills. Turtl may work well for some; I preferred Joplin's UI.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I gave up on Evernote's DE apps.

I still use it extensively, but only as a Web accessed database.
I can't do without it, have not found anything that works nearly as well.

and since it is password protected, I feel reasonably safe with it.
I really enjoy the fact that my cellphone can access it.
omniviator

Post by omniviator »

PJO3 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:47 am Having used Evernote for many many years I have finally ditched it as part of my migration to Linux. I had tried it under WINE and either it didn't run at all (latest version) or it worked badly (older versions).

I'm using Joplin on Mint and find it a good substitute in most respects. I was not however using online OCR or any other advanced features. I've had only two issues so far:

1. Joplin doesn't deal with subnotebooks.
2. It doesn't encrypt individual notes, just, optionally, the entire database (on the assumption that the device is secure)

The first was a mild annoyance but the workaround is fine for now, which is simply to export each subnotebok individually and then import it into Joplin. Very slighly labour intensive if you have a lot of subnotebooks, but good for maintaining things in a familiar structure.

The idea that someone could find your computer unattended and simply open Joplin and then read any confidential info was a non-starter for me. The solution was to keep Joplin for non-confidential information and to shift the sensitive stuff (banking information say) to a separate application that prompts for a password before the contents can be read. I use TiddlyWiki for this (www.tiddlywiki.com; this doesn't have the synchronisation built in that Joplin does but I have things set up so that it gets synced to WebDAV accessible storage online and if necessary I can get to it with a web browser (first accessing via logon credentials, then using a password to decrypt).

Both Joplin and TiddlyWiki are fully open source tools that leave you in full control of your information and with no recurring bills. Turtl may work well for some; I preferred Joplin's UI.
Hi there! Thanks for sharing! I'm also quitting Windows and Evernote progressively for linux. :-)
You inspired me to go test Joplin. You're on Mint 18.2 I présume and it seems to work. Well on my Linux Mint Mate 19.1 it doesn't seem to work : I can only type text. No formatting buttons, no right-clicking no image or other attachments integration... Do you think it has to do do with my version of linux? :-(
Anybody else has this bug? I'm scared to try to import my notes from Evernote...
Warmest greetings.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

omniviator wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:12 am You inspired me to go test Joplin. You're on Mint 18.2 I présume and it seems to work. Well on my Linux Mint Mate 19.1 it doesn't seem to work : I can only type text. No formatting buttons, no right-clicking no image or other attachments integration...
Hello and welcome! We feel that a new question deserves a new thread. And your question will draw more viewers if it's not in a thread that is already marked as solved. So please feel free to post a new topic for your question, and if you believe that the old topic is relevant, link to it in your question. Thanks!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
omniviator

Post by omniviator »

Moem wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:21 am
omniviator wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:12 am You inspired me to go test Joplin. You're on Mint 18.2 I présume and it seems to work. Well on my Linux Mint Mate 19.1 it doesn't seem to work : I can only type text. No formatting buttons, no right-clicking no image or other attachments integration...
Hello and welcome! We feel that a new question deserves a new thread. And your question will draw more viewers if it's not in a thread that is already marked as solved. So please feel free to post a new topic for your question, and if you believe that the old topic is relevant, link to it in your question. Thanks!
Thanks for your answer Moem! :-)
I found another solution : Tusk.
No need to post.
Warmest greetings! :-)
Dimitri

Return to “Beginner Questions”