Slow start up?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Slow start up?

Post by kyphi »

When it takes 15 seconds for your browser to open, there is something wrong.

Linux Mint Xfce will install on a 40 GB hard drive but leaves very little room for extra software installation (like PaleMoon). It may be informative to look at your disk usage with gparted and perhaps remove some superfluous programs and stored update tarballs (empty the cache).

What I would do is to save my home directory to another medium and install Xfce again overwriting the existing installation.
Keep in mind that the Dell D610 is not a laptop and is at best described as a notebook. If you consider it worthwhile to upgrade the RAM and SSD rather than buying something more suitable to meet your requirements, the D610 might even learn to fly.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon - 64bit

greyowl
Level 3
Level 3

Post by greyowl »

Re Disk: 21 GB free of 38 GB disk (45.6% full)--How is that?

How do I go about emptying the cache?

kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Your usage looks pretty frugal. My home directory alone is larger than 40 GB.

To empty the cache, open the Synaptic Package Manager, click on Settings, Preferences, Files and tick "Delete downloaded packages after installation" and then click on "Delete Cached Package Files". Click on "Apply" and "OK" then shut down Synaptic.
That will clear the cache and it will no longer store downloaded packages.

Regarding the slow boot, if you have any peripherals attached, remove them to check if that improves boot speed.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon - 64bit

greyowl
Level 3
Level 3

Post by greyowl »

Thank you for the explanation on removing the cache. I will proceed to do that.

I don't have any peripherals on the laptop so that's not slowing it.

Thanks again.

Return to “Newbie Questions”