remove mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DataMan

Re: remove mint

Post by DataMan »

I think you are asking how you can install another distro over Mint? If that is your question, just go ahead with the new distro. When it comes time to do the partition thinger, select manual and identify your existing Mint "/" as the "/" for the new distro. Make sure you check the "format" checkbox. If you used a dedicated partition for home, do the same (and you will probably want to check format on that one also (depending upon what you are installing to).

Hope this helps,

DataMan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kansasnoob

Re: remove mint

Post by kansasnoob »

Well, I'd like to know what distro you're going to try, but while Mint is still booted post the ouput of:

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l
But really you should be asking at the forum for the distro you're going to install.

Now, I'm not being "snarky" saying that! Quite honestly they differ in installation, how they handle the bootloader, etc.

Some are almost a "no-go" with a true "multi-boot", like I recently tried Simply Mepis and I could not get my other two Linux systems to boot - period! I had to restore GRUB to my last installed Ubuntu based distro and add mepis there!

I've not tried the latest PCLOS, but the previous version sucked as far as setting up the bootloader after doing a multi-boot!

Return to “Beginner Questions”