[SOLVED] No option to "Install Mint Alongside WindowsXP"

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
arniepeters

[SOLVED] No option to "Install Mint Alongside WindowsXP"

Post by arniepeters »

Hello,

I'm trying to install Mint 18.2 Sonya Cinnamon 32 bit on a Dell Latitude D420, XP Professional SP3, Intel Core Duo U2500 @ 1.2GHz; 2GB RAM.

I used the same install disk a few weeks back on a different laptop, and then offered me an option to install mint alongside my XP, which I did and it works great.

On this Dell, it does not give me the option to install alongside XP. Just 4 boxes: Erase, Encrypt, Use LVM, and Something Else.

Can anyone help me in solving this issue, as I want to have the option for both Mint and my old XP.

Some diagnostic details below from the research I have done so far, but can't find any ways to solve this. Thanks!

mint@mint ~ $ sudo parted -l
Model: ATA TOSHIBA MK8009GA (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 80.0GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 32.3kB 80.0GB 80.0GB primary ntfs boot

Warning: Unable to open /dev/sr0 read-write (Read-only file system). /dev/sr0
has been opened read-only.
Error: Invalid partition table - recursive partition on /dev/sr0.
Ignore/Cancel?

+++++++++++

mint@mint ~ $ lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sr0 11:0 1 1.6G 0 rom /cdrom
loop0 7:0 0 1.5G 1 loop /rofs
sda 8:0 0 74.5G 0 disk
└─sda1 8:1 0 74.5G 0 part
mint@mint ~ $

++++++++++++++

mint@mint ~ $ inxi
CPU~Dual core Intel Core Duo U2500 (-MCP-) speed/max~800/1200 MHz Kernel~4.8.0-53-generic i686 Up~14 min Mem~424.9/2003.6MB HDD~NA(-) Procs~175 Client~Shell inxi~2.2.35
mint@mint ~ $
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: No option to "Install Mint Alongside WindowsXP"

Post by michael louwe »

@ arniepeters, .......

Likely, the problem is because the Win XP system already has the maximum 4 primary partitions, eg Drive C, D, E and F. If so, use the GParted program which is included in the Live LM 18.2 DVD/USB-key, to delete one of the primary partitions, in order to accommodate the install of LM alongside Win XP.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

That is not the case here as parted lists only 1 partition.

There are several reasons why this may happen:

Windows was hibernated rather then shut down.
Windows was not properly shut down. (Perhaps there was a power failure, or it bluescreened last time it ran?)
The Windows partition is too full to be shrunk.
The Windows partition cannot be shrunk because the files in it are too badly fragmented, preventing them from being constrained to exist only within the new boundaries.
The Windows partition cannot be shrunk because of immovable files near the boundary.
The drive has been formatted as a "Windows Dynamic Disk" - Ubuntu can not be installed on a Dynamic Disk, you will need to convert the drive to a Basic Disk.

ANd another one not mentioned in that list is sometimes grub doesn't want to fit innthe small space before the first partition.

Start by using gparted in the live session and see if you can shrink your windows partition down to around 60-65 gigs. If that fails, you need to go into windows, defragment your drive, and move your windows swap file to the start of the disk as a contguous block.
arniepeters

Post by arniepeters »

thanks all.

yes, I only have one C: drive on XP

the other options also don't make sense here, the only one is "dynamic" vs "basic" disk?

can you offer suggestions on how to check this and/or correct the situation?

thanks again
arniepeters

Post by arniepeters »

plus, i did do all defrag and chkdsk procedures before trying the Linux install
arniepeters

Post by arniepeters »

move your windows swap file to the start of the disk as a contguous block
how do i do this?

thanks.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

With a 80GB hard drive, and 74.5GB taken up by WIndows, you will have to reduce the size of your Windows partition to have enough room for Mint.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
arniepeters

Post by arniepeters »

Thanks all.

Shrinking the windows partition to 60 gB did the trick.
vintagepen

Re: I have often wondered why install was so confusing on this point?

Post by vintagepen »

Is that really all there is to it when install doesnt see the windows OS at the beginning of the installation procedure?

Just let it resize the partition as it suggests, proceed with the installation; let it finish / install GRUB? After which it will automatically see the windows OS and set up GRUB accordingly?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: I have often wondered why install was so confusing on this point?

Post by austin.texas »

vintagepen wrote:Is that really all there is to it when install doesnt see the windows OS at the beginning of the installation procedure?

Just let it resize the partition as it suggests, proceed with the installation; let it finish / install GRUB? After which it will automatically see the windows OS and set up GRUB accordingly?
Not necessarily. That worked for this person with his configuration. There is no guarantee that your situation will work the same.
It would be best for you to create a new thread with any question, or problem, you have.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
vintagepen

Re: [SOLVED] No option to "Install Mint Alongside WindowsXP"

Post by vintagepen »

Well I have often completed installation in this way after install didnt tell me that it has found windows on the drive and cant remember the last time anything went wrong. But you are suggesting that putting a note on the gpartd page saying not to worry and that install will pick up the windows OS when install implements GRUB is not a good idea?

Return to “Installation & Boot”