Best distro for notebook

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
netg00r00

Best distro for notebook

Post by netg00r00 »

Hey guys,

I'm getting a notebook soon, SSD HDD, touch screen 11" convertible. I was wondering if there was a distro of Mint that I could use on it that would be good that works well with tablet type of notebooks.

I would like something that has been tested and proven on a notebook but, I'm open to venturing into something that is fairly new. (notebook wise)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Best distro for notebook

Post by BG405 »

What's the make and model? There are machines which the manufacturers have made impossible (or very difficult) to install Linux on. Particularly those with "Signature" in the name, IIRC. Knowing which model will help. :)
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
netg00r00

Post by netg00r00 »

BG405 wrote:What's the make and model?
Sorry, I know I should have posted this with the original question. It's a Lenovo Yoga. 128 GB SSD hard drive disk with 4 GB of ram. No CD drive but, I have stand alone super drive I could use for CD/DVD's.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

That device uses a very lightweight Intel Celeron processor, and is more of a thin laptop than a notebook, so you don't want a desktop environment that requires a bit of lifting. You'd probably do best with Xfce, MATE or Cinnamon in that order.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

My vote goes to Mint Xfce.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
netg00r00

Post by netg00r00 »

Thanks for the recommendations about XFCE. I've used it before and do like it's light weight footprint. Since the Yoga does have a "tablet" like functionality, is there a distro that covers tablet type of devices that works well?

I have looked into Elementary OS https://elementary.io which is based on Ubuntu as well and has some tablet like features such as a "store" that you download all the packages through.

If anyone has played around with it or, if there is a mint flavor that is more "tablet focused", I would love to look at it.

Thanks again.
netg00r00

Post by netg00r00 »

Just found this also guys... looks interesting..

http://distrowatch.com/index.php?distri ... l&year=all
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

netg00r00 wrote:Just found this also guys... looks interesting..

http://distrowatch.com/index.php?distri ... l&year=all
The first thing you should do when considering a Linux distro is look at their support site(s). Trust me, you'll need it. And here's theirs:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/remix-os-for-pc

And it's plainly rubbish. There are only 2 Linux distros I'd recommend to Linux beginners. Ubuntu and Mint.

As far as the DE version of Mint you should look at, I'd try Mate or Xfce. Cinnamon is really written for fairly power hardware ... I wouldn't install it again on anything without a dedicated video card with a Gb of memeory.

Download both and boot them from USB sticks. Then see which one you like. I wouldn't dissuade anyone from using any DE version of Mint for any reason other than hardware compatibility. They all have reasons for people liking them.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
netg00r00

Post by netg00r00 »

Hoser Rob wrote:The first thing you should do when considering a Linux distro is look at their support site(s). Trust me, you'll need it. And here's theirs:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/remix-os-for-pc

And it's plainly rubbish. There are only 2 Linux distros I'd recommend to Linux beginners. Ubuntu and Mint.

As far as the DE version of Mint you should look at, I'd try Mate or Xfce. Cinnamon is really written for fairly power hardware ... I wouldn't install it again on anything without a dedicated video card with a Gb of memeory.

Download both and boot them from USB sticks. Then see which one you like. I wouldn't dissuade anyone from using any DE version of Mint for any reason other than hardware compatibility. They all have reasons for people liking them.
Thanks for posting a comment Rob. I'm not sure if you were referring to me as a "beginner" or not but, suffice it to say, I'm not. I've been using Linux, of some kind of flavor, for many years now. So, I know my way around a little bit. I understand what your saying about the DE versions but, as the Yoga is a more tablet-ish type of device, I was just trying to find a flavor of Linux that was specifically focused on being used as a tablet type of distro.

I love Mint and will use it if I am unable to find a dedicated tablet type of distro. That said, it would be nice to find a distro that was specifically made for that.

Thanks again,
N
netg00r00

Post by netg00r00 »

Also Rob, this is the official support page.. which, is obviously not very active but, I understand what you were saying about support as well. 8)

http://support.jide.com/hc/en-us
RobertService

Post by RobertService »

"...the five contestants include four Xfce and two Gnome entries. Not a typo. You may ask, what about Cinnamon, what about Unity? Where is Ubuntu? What happened to SUSE? Did you not love Plasma once upon a time?...
...Do not get me wrong, my production setup still runs the venerable Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty, one of the most refined operating systems in the past half a decade...."

...And the best distro of 2016 is ...
...Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Xfce."

Dedoimedo, December 31, 2016

How about that?! The best DISTRO, period--not just the best netbook or notebook distro--is Linux Mint Xfce. Wow!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”