Google as default search engine.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
EHSPAYNE

Google as default search engine.

Post by EHSPAYNE »

I've been using Google as the default search engine in firefox for a long time. Now, the last few months, Google keeps asking me to make Google my default. It works fine. Is anyone else having this problem?
Firefox 55.0.2 (64-bit)
LinuxMint 17.3 Rosa
eMachine X86-64
Gnome Classic
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Google as default search engine.

Post by catweazel »

What is the exact message that you receive?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

EHSPAYNE wrote:Is anyone else having this problem?
It's not so much a problem as a thumb-wrestling match between Mint and Google over sharing revenue. So, Google isn't available as a default search engine in Mint's version of Firefox, but you can get it if you like. See this article.

Also, the default Mint home page uses "Custom Google Search" and seems to retrieve the same search results without the ads.
dcrowder
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dcrowder »

I never had Google ask me to use Google. Sometimes Google asks me to use Chrome as it will be faster (per them).
Mint 21 Vanessa | Cinnamon | x64
kreemoweet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kreemoweet »

I get that message box on the Google search page, even though Google has been my default search engine in all my browsers for the last 10 years.The message is coming from the Google webpage, not the OS and not the Firefox browser.
Just how is the webpage supposed to know what the default search engine in FF is? I wouldn't imagine FF would divulge that info, because it is nobody else's business. So, it is just stupid behavior by Google. Big surprise, eh?

No doubt that message could be blocked by one of the better browser adblock extensions, such as uBlock Origin. Currently, it could probably also be blocked in Firefox by an appropriate entry in the user's userContent.css file.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

dcrowder wrote:I never had Google ask me to use Google. Sometimes Google asks me to use Chrome as it will be faster (per them).
I get it in every flavor of Mint I have, both regular installations and in VirtualBox. Here's what it looks like:
Mint - Firefox - Google.png
By the way, I don't get this using Firefox in Windows.
dcrowder
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dcrowder »

I do get it in FF on Windows 10.
Mint 21 Vanessa | Cinnamon | x64
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I thought I didn't get that, but after looking at the image you posted, yeah, that looks familiar, so I probably do get it. I use uBlock Origin, maybe that blocks it, or maybe I just ignore it. I'm pretty good at ignoring things like that.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Out of curiosity, I tested whether uBlock makes a difference. The answer is "no."

Also, on review, I realize I didn't mention that the reason (I assume) Google doesn't nag me in Windows is that it's the default search engine there.
LD Wyze

Post by LD Wyze »

LM should really stop inconveniencing we, the users, and causing us headaches over something so ridiculous. Just let it go so we can get on with a smooth LM experience. Google is the search engine of choice. Get over it please. Thanks!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

LD Wyze wrote:Google is the search engine of choice.
Of your choice, you mean. Well, go ahead and fix that for yourself. Here you go: https://www.systutorials.com/136954/how ... ch-engine/

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”