ATI proprietary driver and Linux Mint 18

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
paulmedynski
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Re: ATI proprietary driver and Linux Mint 18

Post by paulmedynski »

I have solved my problem. It turns out my libLLVM-3.8.so file was corrupted somehow. Here's the gem I found in the X logs:

Code: Select all

[  4836.450] (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/r600_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libLLVM-3.8.so.1: invalid ELF header)
[  4836.450] (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
[  4836.452] (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libLLVM-3.8.so.1: invalid ELF header)
[  4836.452] (EE) GLX: could not load software renderer
[  4836.452] (II) GLX: no usable GL providers found for screen 0
I forced a re-install, and now all is well:

$ inxi -SGC
System:    Host: laptop Kernel: 4.4.0-75-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Cinnamon 3.2.7
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
CPU:       Dual core AMD A6-4400M APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 2700 MHz 1: 2000 MHz 2: 2400 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Trinity [Radeon HD 7520G]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.07hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD ARUBA (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.8.0) GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0
Cinnamon is humming along nicely now with hardware rendering :)

-Paul
timlza

Re: ATI proprietary driver and Linux Mint 18

Post by timlza »

I am running Linux Mint 181. My hardware says I have the following:

inxi -Gx
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Skylake Integrated Graphics bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Mars [Radeon HD 8670A/8670M/8750M] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon,intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
but the system doesnt use it or pick it up. Also, I get an initialization error (101) when I start or exit Mint.

Any suggestions?
timlza

Post by timlza »

Sorry, it's error -110

Thanks
+Sig+
Level 1
Level 1

Post by +Sig+ »

rene wrote:AMD has dropped support for "fglrx" and indeed this means it is unavailable on Ubuntu 16.04 / Mint 18. Older hardware -- pre GCN, i.e., pre HD 7730 -- will have to content with the open source "radeon" driver, which has however seen significant input from AMD developers and performs well. Newest hardware -- GCN 1.2, i.e., post R9 285 -- can already use the newly AMD-developed open source AMDGPU kernel-level driver, either in combination with an also open source X11/Wayland part or with the closed source AMDGPU PRO one. The gap -- GCN 1.1 and 1.0 cards -- is being added to AMDGPU currently.

If you are on an older card be sure to test the "radeon" driver before denouncing it; it may well be all you need. If you're on the newest hardware, rejoice. If you're in the gap, grumble a bit, and for now use "radeon" while waiting for AMDGPU support.
When you say 'while waiting for AMDGPU support', does that mean that AMD will eventually release a new proprietary driver? I wish I had know that was going to be a big issue before upgrading. At least I have LM 17.3 on my other partition.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

+Sig+ wrote:When you say 'while waiting for AMDGPU support', does that mean that AMD will eventually release a new proprietary driver?
Fortunately not; that would be quite a regression in the AMD Linux-support level. As said above, GCN 1.2 and later cards are already supported by the AMD-developed "AMDGPU" driver and, at the time of writing the above, GCN 1.0 and GCN 1.1 support was being added to it. I haven't kept up with current state of affairs but I expect some 1.1 and/or 1.0 cards may at this time also be supported by "AMDGPU". Pre-GCN cards, pre-HD7730, will not be supported by the "AMDGPU" driver but are and will be by the "radeon" driver. The "waiting" bit was hence only about users of GCN 1.0/1.1 cards and only about the "AMDGPU" driver.

Note once more: if you are on GCN 1.2+ then you are a lot better of with U16.04+/M18+ than you ever were previously, with now both AMDGPU and its closed-source addition "AMDGPU-PRO" available to you. If you are on GCN 1.0/1.1 you either are or will be shortly; ask AMD about the definition of "shortly". If you are on pre-GCN you are, at the very least I am, also a lot better of than before since AMD dropping support for the "fglrx" driver has meant that it has added features to the "radeon" driver for these older cards.

The only way you could even consider the current situation worse than before is if you are, 1, on old pre-GCN hardware and, 2, currently using the "fglrx" driver but even then it may be little more than assumption since as said the "radeon" driver has improved since "fglrx" existed. Have you tested things? It continues to amaze me, the number of people that install an open-source operating system only to then consider it an obvious omission that they can't download and install some non-descript, closed-source, proprietary binary vendor-blob to drive one specific part of their hardware. Really, why?

Now, admittedly, since having started posting these "setting the record straight" posts on this forum I've noticed a few too many reports of the new "radeon" driver not working well with some pre-GCN cards, and especially in dual-graphics situation. Of which there appear to be many more than I was earlier even aware of. Yes, sure, if you are on pre-GCN, using "fglrx" on 17.3 and in a hardware-situation where the new "radeon" driver has issues then you were better of before. Upgrade your video? Which in the case of your system being a laptop means you get what you paid for: a non-upgradable piece of throwaway electronics. Sorry.
Kron77

Post by Kron77 »

i installed mint17 rose, tried installing oclhashcat from a google search.. tottally Cracked my mint, im now on my Fifth mint "re-install" erasing hd evertime to be safe and also sorry. the problem is i used to get 1440x900 display options i dont anymore (only 1240x780 smthin). i think its something x display is disabled until correctly configured.. (blue boot screen) currently installing 5th time. hopefully its the charm. gotta love u linux sorry -#
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, Kron77.

Minor correction: Mint 17 is "qiana". "rosa" is Mint 17.3.
Apart from this, how is your story related to the topic of this thread, which "ATI proprietary driver and Linux Mint 18"?

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
gladtoseeyou

Post by gladtoseeyou »

mintuserforever wrote:Thought this would Be helpful This is A download Link to the AMD Radeon Rx 400 family proprietary Drivers I Have modified the code to work with Linux mint 18/18.1 just click the Link to download extract it run the install script and enjoy :mrgreen:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4gl_w ... sp=sharing

ps if anyone is Having problems with AMD Drivers you can email me @ lackofgates@gmail.com
let me know witch video card you Have i will download the ubuntu 16.04 driver or the newest they have modify it and send you a download link thanks for viewing AMD will not stop LINUX ;)
I got linux Mint 18.1 cinnamon with a HP laptop (intel cpu) with integrated graphics (intel HD graphics 4000 and AMD Radeon HD 8600M series GPU).I run windows 10 with linux mint dual boot.
I used this link and installed the packages with the script contained there.After that i rebooted the system and linux mint couldn't boot.I got a freeze at splash screen of linux mint.I am a new linux user so i decided to reinstall the distro.I downloaded linux mint 18.2 and I tried to enter the graphical environment via the live usb.Again the same thing.Froze at spalsh screen.I downloaded Ubuntu 16.04 and again froze at spalsh screen of the live usb.I have tried several distros and I got the same problem.I tried the "nomodeset" and linux mint booted and I entered cinnamon environment but got the message "Running in software rendering mode.Cinnamon is currently running without video hardware acceleration and, as a result, you may observe higher than normal cpu usage.There could be a problem with your drivers or some other issue.For the best experience,it is recommended that you only use this mode for troubleshooting purposes."
Now I am stack with this problem and all distros cannot boot properly without nomodeset.Is there a way to reverse this and make it work like before?Also,I noticed a slight delay when booting windows and the GPU fan working which means that my pc uses the amd gpu to boot and not the intel.I do not know what this script changed to my pc but I want to reverse this.
Any help would be appreciated.Thank you!
vladtepes

Post by vladtepes »

So a quick read of this would lead me to understand that as we stand a radeon 6850 would NOT work under linux?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Must have been a very quick read indeed. A Radeon 6850 works fine. It uses the standard "radeon" driver which is well-accelerated. No need to install anything either; optimal support out of the box.
matinger

Post by matinger »

Hi. i have a Dell Inspiron 15 7548 with hybrid graphics. I use Linux Mint 17.3. I want to update or install mint 18.2 but i don't know if it work well.. Will it work well? what do i need to do?

Graphics: Card-1: Intel Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics bus-ID: 00:02.0
Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Opal XT [Radeon R7 M265] bus-ID: 08:00.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.15.1 drivers: ati,intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,radeon)
Resolution: 1920x1080@59.9hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Broadwell GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Radeon R7 M265 is GCN1 ("Southern Island", "SI"):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_A ... 2xx_Series

which means that for now you would by default be using "radeon" as a driver; experimental support for SI is present in the current "amdgpu" driver but I couldn't tell you anything about its hybrid-graphics support -- although I would expect it to be good. The hybrid graphics support of "radeon" I have noticed to not be stellar from posts here on the forum.

This is to say that I'd basically advise to just try. After installation refer to this post to enable amdgpu: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=250624&p=1348286#p1347964 and see how things fare. Note that I've basically no idea about hybrid graphics, with amdgpu specifically nor generally; I'd just be rather surprised if the newly AMD-developed amdgpu driver did not support it nicely in these hybrid-graphics days. So if you can use "amdgpu" to your satisfaction in the first place things probably work out. If you can not, I'd wait for SI support to officially hit "amdgpu".

[EDIT] Refer to https://askubuntu.com/questions/761091/ ... 4-lts?rq=1 for the hybrid part of the question.
briandh25

Post by briandh25 »

gsagostinho wrote:Hi all,

I am currently running Linux Mint 17.3 and I am considering to upgrade to Mint 18. I created a bootable USB stick to test it, and everything seems to work fine, except that I don't see the option of changing my video card driver in the Driver Manager any longer. On Mint 17.3, I see the options xserver-xorg-video-ati, fglrx-updates and fglrx (the latter is what I use often for some games), but on Mint 18 I see only an Unkown device with optionss "intel-microcode" or "do not use this device" but nothing to do with my video cards.

So my question is: is fglrx not installed any longer with Mint? Or is this being caused because I am booting from a USB stick? I just want to make sure everything runs smoothly before installing it. Any help or advice would be highly appreciated.

Cheers!
Gilberto
I recently went from Windows 7 to Mint 18.2 and I instantly noticed a lot of screen tearing. After doing a lot of research here and trying different things that ended up crashing my whole system many times, I just came to the conclusion that my screen tearing problems were due the lack of good drivers for Mint 18.x
So now I went back to Mint 17.3 which has the fglrx drivers and the screen tearing is gone. I still notice that the video performance is not as smooth as it used to be in Windows and I'm wondering if that's because it's an older OS or simply because I'm using open source software which will never truly be as well-polished as Windows/Mac OS.
Oh by the way I have an ATI 7790HD. I was considering starting a new thread on this issue but this is quite related to the situation I'm in.
Any thoughts for a newbie with little experience on the open source side of things?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

As to the most important part of that; 7790 is GCN2 ("Sea Islands", "CIK"):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_A ... 000_Series

which is to say that my post directly above applies to you too: you are currently using the community-developed open source radeon driver on 18.x by default but will in the near future have access both to the AMD-developed open source amdgpu driver and its AMD-developed closed source addon amdgpu-pro. You could in the same manner as linked through that above post try the experimental support for your GPU available from the current amdgpu driver already (but you may not want to; if 17.3 works fine for you may as well for now stick with it and its AMD-developed closed source fglrx driver).

This is then to say that specifically for your hardware the "will never be" is unlikely; amdgpu is available for you now experimentally, both it and amdgpu-pro will be available non-experimentally, and are likely to perform well. Moreover, also generally the "will never be" is unlikely; you didn't specify whether or not screen tearing is present for you on 17.3 using the open source radeon driver as well (it's not for me using an HD5770) but assuming not it's likely to be related more to the X server than the specific GPU driver. X is on its way out, being replaced by Wayland. Screen tearing is a specific focus of Wayland, and once you'd be using it, it'd be unlikely you'd find there to be any using any driver.

That is: currently the situation is sub-optimal for GCN 1 and 2 cards but this should be temporary. Mint 17.3 is a fine choice if the experimental GCN2 support currently available doesn't yet work for you.
briandh25

Post by briandh25 »

Hi, thank you for your reply!

While I was on 18.2 I tried quite a few different things that people suggested both here and in other websites without success, including the instalation of AMDGPU-PRO which gave me a black screen at login.
Now on 17.3 the screen tearing is gone but as I said before, video playback is not as smooth as I remember it to be while using Windows. For example, while watching 60fps videos on YouTube I notice random stutters here and there that are totally noticeable at 60fps especially.
If I put all that on the scale, today I choose Mint over Windows. I find plenty of other reasons to use it over it and that is not "heavy enough" on the scale to make me go back to Windows, at least not today.

I guess it comes down to waiting until the drivers situation gets sorted out and when that happens I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

Cheers and have a nice day!
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

The driver situation is sorted out, that is why there is a sticky. And its even titled " Look here first".
briandh25

Post by briandh25 »

Citizen229 wrote:The driver situation is sorted out, that is why there is a sticky. And its even titled " Look here first".
You are absolutely right. It was my bad since I think I confused that sticky you are talking about with a different post on another forum also talking about the same issue.
I read everything and I will give all that a try soon since I have both Mint 17.3 and 18.2 on different partitions. Hope it works.
a.bowers
Level 2
Level 2

Post by a.bowers »

So I've got a slightly different model Dell with the same discrete GPU the R7 M265. I get adequate desktop performance out of the integrated graphics, but I can't seem to switch to discrete graphics at all; I don't know if it fails because I just can't get it into gear.

The sticky posts seem to be written with people who know what they're talking about in mind. I'm struggling to make heads or tails of these things because I'm not a GPU guy , and I'm not intimately familiar with AMD's product line. I didn't even order this graphics card, I ordered an NVidia card, but the computer it came in just kept dying, so Dell replaced it with this inferior one.

So, I've read--often in the same thread--that support isn't there, it is there, that it's experimental, that it's coming, that it isn't coming, that it depends on what Ubuntu does, that it's regardless of what Ubuntu does...How do I find out for real?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

a.bowers wrote:How do I find out for real?
Your M7 265 is supported by the default installed "radeon" driver. Experimental support for your M7 265 is also available from the on Mint 18.x by default installed "amdgu" driver; you can try it per the instructions above, although it's a bit finicky at this stage.

Dual graphics seems the wrench-thrower in most of these discussions; I have no Intel/AMD dual-graphics system to test with: does that "[EDIT]" link on the above 265 post help to in fact (per-application) switch to your 265? I.e., starting applications with an explicit DRI_PRIME=1?
a.bowers
Level 2
Level 2

Post by a.bowers »

does that "[EDIT]" link on the above 265 post help to in fact (per-application) switch to your 265? I.e., starting applications with an explicit DRI_PRIME=1?
The good news is that command doesn't throw an error or cause a crash. Bad news is it doesn't do a thing. Trying it with glmark2 in both cases says it's using the Intel driver. It isn't turning on the discrete card, and I don't have the knowhow to begin to figure out why.

EDIT: I just tried putting "i915.modeset=0 radeon.modeset=1" in the grub file, to force it to boot on the discrete graphics. It failed to do so, giving an error to the effect of "/sys/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch" cannot be created, directory nonexistent." Tells me something ain't gonna work. VGASwitcheroo (which is almost as bad a name for something as GNU)

I upgraded to 18.2 from 18.1. I'm tempted to do a fresh install from ISO on an external drive to see if I can get it working there. I've been eyeing an SSD anyway, might be what causes me to pull the trigger.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”