[Not a Post] Praying for the folks in Texas

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
xh1
Level 2
Level 2

[Not a Post] Praying for the folks in Texas

Post by xh1 »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: [Not a Post] Praying for the folks in Texas

Post by Moem »

It's a post, I can assure you. But let me join you in sending good thoughts and wishes to all those who are endangered by floods in Texas, and in Yemen and Mumbai too.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Prayers from Canada !
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Thanks, ya'll.
I add my thoughts for the many who have suffered losses.
Myself and family and friends all surviving unharmed - including my daughter (and her Ford Mustang), and my step-son in Galveston.
My daughter is losing money because her employment is suspended, but that is all.
The devastation in some areas is horrific. I can't even imagine 30 inches of rain in just 2 days.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Yes, prayers for Texas! (And for Yemen and Mumbai too!)
I arrived in Houston early Saturday - a little drizzle (relatively), but it started to really pour that evening. Saw some of the damage yesterday and it's unbelievable. :shock: The water line was at times 4 or more feet on people's doors, and I didn't even get to the really flooded areas of Houston.
We're hoping to volunteer in a shelter for several days starting tomorrow. Please keep the city and state in mind - it's in for a long, slow recovery.

EDIT: fix bad metric to English conversion.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

My deepest sympathies for the Texans!

After this horrible disaster has passed, I think the Texans might hold their politicians to account: why didn't they build better dikes for them?

The state of Texas undoubtedly could have raised the funds needed for better water management, which would have limited the current damage. It's incredible that its government hasn't provided for that in the previous years.

In my opinion, that's a crying shame. Which is now causing many innocent victims.

It may be that it's too early yet to raise these concerns, because the care for the current victims should of course have all attention. But as a citizen of a country that would literally lose more than half of its territory (including all of its major cities) if its water management would be neglected, I feel strongly about this subject.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

The devastation I'm reading about on web sites and seeing on news broadcasts is just unfathomable.

I can't imagine having to live through such an ordeal.

Prayers for Texas and all of those who have suffered losses.
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

I live in Montgomery County in southeast Texas. We recorded 29.7" of rain at my home. Even with all the rain, we didn't get any flood damage and that is because my home sits on top of a hill. :D All the rain flows downhill from me. :mrgreen:
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
dcrowder
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dcrowder »

My prayers go out to my fellow Texans affected by the flooding. Thankfully no effects here in Dallas.
Mint 21 Vanessa | Cinnamon | x64
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

I've just returned from working Intake during the 1600-midnight volunteer shift at the NRG center which is serving as a shelter (if any of you watched the Superbowl this year, it's literally next door). It's just unbelievable. Buses and cops keep coming in with people who've packed their few remaining belongings into plastic rubbish bags. Some of the children and adults don't even have shoes or essential medication, and for many, it's their second or third shelter in just a few days. It's heartbreaking to carry a baby from a bus and have her parents tell you that, of their few remaining belongings, some were accidentally taken from them and put in the donations pile at the previous shelter. There are just no words....
I didn't ask how many were there but it's got to be in the thousands. The halls are broken into huge, three-sided "rooms" by removable walls, with hundreds of cots in each room. The lights never go completely out and there are people rolling by with loud, metal carts even after midnight.

Despite all this nearly everyone I saw was so polite and thankful for our help, even after 5 or more hour waits to finish screening and medical check-in (most people were processed pretty quickly, but one family I was helping arrived at 1700 and didn't get settled in until after 2300). Some of them were even able to smile. And so many people have poured in to volunteer, it's unbelievable. There are so many things that need to be done, and so many people willing to drop their lives and their personal worries and step in to help! We even had pizzas from Pappa John's for the volunteers, and the truly awesome ACT team from Ohio showed up, bringing supplies and cooking hamburgers and hotdogs for volunteers. I can't thank these people enough!

I'll be back at the shelter tomorrow and the next day. Please, continue praying and thinking of the people affected here. There's just so much loss, so much human pain, so much raw emotion that has yet to be processed. Buildings will be rebuilt, possessions can be bought and replaced, but healing is not always so simple. Until that healing occurs, Houston, and Texas, will never be free of Harvey.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
dcrowder
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dcrowder »

Awesome Fred! It is great to hear first hand accounts like this. I thank God for volunteers like you and thousands of others.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Fred,

I can't even imagine how surreal this experience must be for you and the unfortunate victims of this devastation.

I'm sure that these people are extremely grateful for your contribution and that of all of the many volunteers.

Our thoughts and prayers here are with the affected people of Texas and the valiant volunteers like you.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Thanks guys. I actually hesitated a bit before making that post (I don't want the recognition) but I wanted to give an in-person perspective.
Another busy night tonight. Good news though - I helped two people leave, and another guy said he helped about 15 or so! Many of those leaving are going to a hotel, not home, but it's still one step closer to recovery.
- Albert Einstein
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

As an outsider battling wildfires in the Columbia gorge, 9-10,000 acres in 48 hours, I can empathise with the Texans. Dozens of friends in Galveston, Houston, and here in Oregon evacuated and their homes and businesses are no longer there. One had 3 Beech Staggerwings completed in his barn this last year. All gone. 30 years of work gone in smoke all caused by a 15 year old with fireworks thrown into the bushes in the first National Campground.
Of course here comes ICE to grab all the DACA kids and the illegals that comprise 80% of the prime framing crews for the reconstruction industry. :oops: :evil:
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Fred Barclay wrote:I actually hesitated a bit before making that post (I don't want the recognition)
I used to be hesitant to post on Facebook when I did a good deed like stopping to talk to a homeless person and give them a few bucks. Didn't want people to think I was bragging or being "holier than thou" or something. But after thinking about it a bit more, I thought, you know, if I mention it on Facebook when I help somebody out, maybe somebody else will be inspired to do a good deed for somebody, too. Eventually I started being more direct in my "inspiring", saying things like "There is a gentleman named Dave at the Fifth Street entrance to the Wenatchee Safeway store. He is homeless, and he could use your help. If you're in the neighborhood, please stop by and chat with him for a bit, and give him a few bucks if you can spare it." I don't know if I ever actually inspired somebody to help out another person, but I sure hope so.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
stormryder

Post by stormryder »

Tomgin5 wrote:As an outsider battling wildfires in the Columbia gorge, 9-10,000 acres in 48 hours, I can empathise with the Texans.
I live about a mile from the Rice Ridge fire. I have been on an evac warning list for two weeks and my best friend just got back in to her place after being evacuated for 10 days. The fire just grew to over 100,000 acres this weekend doubling in size in one day. I spent $2000 on a tank and pump and have been running fire drills daily. Thankfully no one has lost any structures yet, but two firefighters have lost their lives in Montana this year.

I want to send out my best wishes to all the folks dealing with these kinds of events and I want to express my profound gratitude to all the people who are doing what they can to help, from the authorities to the neighbors who volunteer to help those around them. You are all Heroes.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

In less than 24 hours since yesterday the Eagle creek fire has tripled in size, having gone to over 34,000 acres and even jumped the Columbia river to Washington (about 3/4 mile). Fortunately there has been very little wind. In Beaverton, 80 miles away, the smoke has been so thick at times that visibility has been down to less than 1/4 mile. :x
dcrowder
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dcrowder »

Now we start praying for those in Florida.

Return to “Open Chat”