Is it wise to update Mint 18's Cinnamon lasteat version?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DrAlexander

Is it wise to update Mint 18's Cinnamon lasteat version?

Post by DrAlexander »

First off I used mint once on VM but never can get it to work smoothly...so I'm gonna use a Dell Latitude E5410 laptop to make it my own Linux based laptop.

Now my question is this since 18.2 uses lightdm for the login screen and it's a pain to change it back, I'm gonna use version 18 and I wanna know if I could update Mint 18's current cinnamon and update it to the latest version and if I done that...would CinnStarkmenu still work if I updated cinnamon to 3.4?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Is it wise to update Mint 18's Cinnamon lasteat version?

Post by pbear »

As it happens, I'm playing with Cinnamon today (as noted in my sig line, my main system is Mate), so your question caught my eye. Not sure I understand the first issue. If you're asking whether you can upgrade 18 to 18.2 and keep MDM, the answer is "yes." In fact, the install I just did (to a USB drive) was 18.1 to 18.2 in part for that reason, the other being that it installs an LTS kernel (4.4). Also, FYI, 18.2 uses the 3.4 desktop, so that wouldn't be a separate upgrade. As for your other issue, I'd never heard of the Stark Menu before but it is, indeed, listed as an optional applet in 18.2. Current info here.

If I misunderstood the question, please rephrase.
DrAlexander

Post by DrAlexander »

pbear wrote:As it happens, I'm playing with Cinnamon today (as noted in my sig line, my main system is Mate), so your question caught my eye. Not sure I understand the first issue. If you're asking whether you can upgrade 18 to 18.2 and keep MDM, the answer is "yes." In fact, the install I just did (to a USB drive) was 18.1 to 18.2 in part for that reason, the other being that it installs an LTS kernel (4.4). Also, FYI, 18.2 uses the 3.4 desktop, so that wouldn't be a separate upgrade. As for your other issue, I'd never heard of the Stark Menu before but it is, indeed, listed as an optional applet in 18.2. Current info here.

If I misunderstood the question, please rephrase.
I'm wondering if I update cinnamon desktop to the latest build would break many applet like starkmenu....

Also if I upgrade to 18.2 how I can keep MDM over lightDM (I like theming and don't care for quest sessions) I'm sure it replaces MDM with LightDM which will be a pain to restore with the login screen settings of MDM.

plus in 18.2 mint there's a starkmenu bug for the Windows Se7en basic desktop theme - it makes the whole menu white without the basic theme as background the others work fine in 18.2

It's just I like MDM since I transformed Mint 18 to look like Windows 7 with bootup/shutdown and login (MDM)
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Don't know what else I can say about MDM. It wasn't displaced by the upgrade to 18.2. LightDM is available in Synaptic but not installed. By contrast, I have a direct install of 18.2 in VirtualBox; there it's the reverse, LightDM installed in Synaptic, MDM available but not installed.

Nor can I speak to bugs in the Stark Menu, as I don't have installed and have never used. You'd be more likely to get feedback on that specific issue if you edit the thread title to something like "Anyone using the Stark Menu in Cinnamon 18.2?" You have to edit the first post, as that's the one indexed on the Forum list. Don't be surprised if you don't get any responses, though. It's a narrow topic and there aren't all that many folks who check in here regularly.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

CinnVIIStarkMenu works just fine under Cinnamon 3.4.x - using it now.

It's Spices page lists compatibility - https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/281

Theme specific bugs are more likely down to the theme not been updated to properly support Cinnamon 3.2 or above.

There were significant changes implemented in Cinnamon. All themes currently on Cinnamon Spices (so installable via the Themes app) should work fine with Cinnamon 3.2 or 3.4.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
DrAlexander

Post by DrAlexander »

smurphos wrote:CinnVIIStarkMenu works just fine under Cinnamon 3.4.x - using it now.

It's Spices page lists compatibility - https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/281

Theme specific bugs are more likely down to the theme not been updated to properly support Cinnamon 3.2 or above.

There were significant changes implemented in Cinnamon. All themes currently on Cinnamon Spices (so installable via the Themes app) should work fine with Cinnamon 3.2 or 3.4.
I see well Windows Se7en Blue one works pretty well on CinnVIIStarkMenu, but there's a cam bug for skype which makes the cam green and not working.

since I've upgraded to 18.2 it kept MDM intact! so I'm happy it didn't change during the upgrade from 18 to 18.2

Return to “Beginner Questions”