Sonya 18.2 fresh install or Live DVD won't hibernate

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jaderiver
Level 3
Level 3

Sonya 18.2 fresh install or Live DVD won't hibernate

Post by jaderiver »

Recently fresh-installed Sonya 18.2. My computer cannot hibernate. Booting up from the live DVD won't hibernate, either. My partition allocation for SWAP and / (Mint) is the same I've used for a long time up through 17.3 Rebecca.

Suspend/sleep function is fine.

Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ASUS U56E 64-bit Mint 21.2 MATE Victoria No longer dualbooting WIN 7 and surviving
T-Mobile 5G or 4GLTE hotspot
; WiFi/Tether to Android hotspot
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Sonya 18.2 fresh install or Live DVD won't hibernate

Post by catweazel »

Please post the output of this command:

Code: Select all

sudo inxi -mP
Enclose the results in code markers, which you can select from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
jameskga
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jameskga »

Do you want to be able to hibernate or is suspending enough? Pjotr published a great guide about removing hibernation because it can cause problems (maybe problems like the one you are having).

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... d-to-disk-
They say your favorite Mint edition was the one you installed when you still went to school with your friends.
I am out there
jaderiver
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jaderiver »

@catweazel

Memory:    Array-1 capacity: 16 GB devices: 2 EC: None
           Device-1: ChannelA-DIMM0 size: 4 GB speed: 1333 MHz type: DDR3
           Device-2: ChannelB-DIMM0 size: 2 GB speed: 1333 MHz type: DDR3
Partition: ID-1: / size: 15G used: 5.6G (41%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
           ID-2: /boot size: 268M used: 66M (26%) fs: ext3 dev: /dev/sda7
           ID-3: /home size: 497G used: 387G (83%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda4
           ID-4: swap-1 size: 5.27GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
Thank you for examining this issue.

P.S. Actually, my last Mint edition, up until last week, was Rebecca 17.1 (along with updates), not 17.3. Started with Maya and hibernation has never been a problem. Recent allocation has worked for hibernation through Rebecca 17.1. Previously, I had allocated /SWAP=9G and / = 12G. Now, I thought I would try giving / more breathing room, as I rarely have to go into SWAP. Hibernation not a problem until recent install with 18.2. Thanks again.
ASUS U56E 64-bit Mint 21.2 MATE Victoria No longer dualbooting WIN 7 and surviving
casse

Post by casse »

I also experiment the same issue. In the same way, I build a fresh installation (in a different partition) and was migrating from 17.2 version.

Launching the same command, I get:
$ sudo inxi -mP
Memory: Array-1 capacity: 32 GB devices: 4 EC: None
Device-1: Top - Slot 2 (under) size: 4 GB speed: 1600 MHz type: DDR3
Device-2: Bottom-Slot 2(right) size: 4 GB speed: 1600 MHz type: DDR3
Device-3: Top - Slot 1 (top) size: 4 GB speed: 1600 MHz type: DDR3
Device-4: Bottom-Slot 1(left) size: 4 GB speed: 1600 MHz type: DDR3
Partition: ID-1: / size: 37G used: 9.5G (28%) fs: ext3 dev: /dev/sda8
ID-2: /home size: 367G used: 288G (83%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda7
ID-3: swap-1 size: 32.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-0

As a last word, I disagree with guys that propose to switch off hibernation. This is a fundamental feature that allows to get back the multiple applications to their previous state. If, like me, you have a laptop and have often to switch between different (with or without a laptop), it is a must function.

For me, it may a reason to come back to previous version.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

jaderiver wrote:

ID-4: swap-1 size: 5.27GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
That's probably the reason. You can't hibernate if you have more RAM than swap.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
jaderiver
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jaderiver »

Right now, I have a 20G partition between /windows and /home which is where I allocate for / and /swap (and /boot). My computer RAM is 6G. So, either I go back to 9G for SWAP and 12G for /, or set up another partition at the back end of /home and increase both / and /swap. I think, if I instruct Gparted to expand the front end of /home by going into the 20G partition, it will take a long time to deal with everything.

Well, anyway, when I have time, I will try something, and report back to this conversation and mark it "solved" if successfully hibernating after the change. I, too, find hibernation very useful, as I take my laptop to many different places to use.

Thank you, all, for your insight(s).
jaderiver
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jaderiver »

@catweazel @casse

Used Gparted to increase SWAP to 7G (RAM is 6G) and reduced / to 13G. (Right now using my 20G partition space.)
Still no hibernation with 18.2 installation or Live CD. All that happens is the desktop (and any open apps) disappears for a few seconds to black, reappears and stays frozen the second time around. I have to Force Shutdown with a long-press on my power button to quit.

Live Rebecca 17.1 hibernates. And, 17.1 always hibernated while installed, even with reduced SWAP (5G).

I could spend a lot of time setting up a new partition to increase SWAP to 9G or more, and / to 20G.
But, now I'm starting to think the problem is between 18.2 and my specific computer :?

Return to “Hardware Support”