how do I apt-get upgrade?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kaykav

how do I apt-get upgrade?

Post by kaykav »

Howdy,
I need an explanation of this error message :
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

How do I eventually upgrade? Come to think of it, what am I upgrading ,exactly? Is it my already installed programs or mints' repositories?
and when I apt-get update, what am I updating ? I never did know. Thank you....Rich
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: how do I apt-get upgrade?

Post by proxima_centauri »

That error usually pops up when you have another instance of apt-get running, such as Synaptic Package Manager or the Mint Software Manager.

MintUpgrade should tell you when you need updates.
EDIT: MintUpdate, not MintUpgrade.
Last edited by proxima_centauri on Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Make sure no other applications are using APT (synaptic, mintUpdate refreshing itself, mintInstall installing something..etc). Eventually, remove the file /var/lib/dpkg/lock yourself.

Code: Select all

sudo rm -rf /var/lib/dpkg/lock
By the way, you can type "apt upgrade" instead of "sudo apt-get upgrade" and you should really use mintUpdate instead unless you're sure you want to get all available upgrades.

Clem
kaykav

Post by kaykav »

Thank you all...questions bring answers,answers bring knowledge and knowledge brings more questions............Rich

Return to “Beginner Questions”