Community website / mintinstall issues

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MikeF90000

Community website / mintinstall issues

Post by MikeF90000 »

After encountering some issues with my Mint 18 Xfce install, I decided to post some reviews from the Software Manager (mintinstall).

- First issue, it kept telling me I had a 'Invalid Username'. Login with the same username & pw directly to the community website was successful.
- Second issue, attempts to add a review from the website frequently receive a backend server time out. Embarassing for an LM sponsor, the error redirects directly to their web site - ouch!
- Third issue, attempts to update a previous review are rejected with a '405 Not Allowed' message. Bug or feature?

Won't go into other 'feature issues' with mintinstall here but there are obvious ones.

Is anyone monitoring the Community website ?? :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Community website / mintinstall issues

Post by xenopeek »

Thanks for supporting the developers!

We're aware of issues on the community website. Some users have problems when reviewing from Software Manage, the backend sometimes has performance issues, and some security hardening that was done after the attacks on our website in February may still be set too strict for certain pages/actions.

We're trying to figure out why users have sometimes the "invalid username" error when trying to review from within Software Manager. Can you try changing your password on the website and then checking again Software Manager? If still the same error can you try to set as simple a password as possible for testing purpose—say use only a-z and A-Z letters and 0-9 digits?
MikeF90000

Post by MikeF90000 »

xenopeek wrote:We're trying to figure out why users have sometimes the "invalid username" error when trying to review from within Software Manager. Can you try changing your password on the website and then checking again Software Manager? If still the same error can you try to set as simple a password as possible for testing purpose—say use only a-z and A-Z letters and 0-9 digits?
Not sure how that can be done. The new pw standard for both the forums and community sites require a 'special' character as well. I changed from '@' to '-' and it made no difference.

Submitting the review directly from the community site got the Timeout error always on the first attempt; after a browser back arrow the second attempt is usually successful. Wondering if some kind of database transaction or network connection has to be pre-established.

Also noticed that 'add' and 'update' review submits from a few days ago that seemed to fail were actually successful. Another database glitch or ?
JChristensen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JChristensen »

I've also been getting the "Sucuri CloudProxy - Backend Server timeout" message on various community software pages. I had communicated with the admin a month or so ago and understood they were aware and working on it, but I see no improvement, I still get the error pages.
keithterrill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by keithterrill »

I am trying to rate an app from within the Software Manager. I keep getting:

Invalid username

Your username is incorrect. To change it, click on the 'Edit' menu and select 'Account information'.
I have gone into the Linux Mint site at http:/./comunity.linuxmint.com as well as this Linux Mint Forums and have changed the password, many times. But no matter what I do, it doesn't change the result.

I am using 17.3. Is that a problem?
MikeF90000

Post by MikeF90000 »

Just tried submitting a review to the Community from within mintinstall, still get the 'Invalid Username' message. It would be nice if someone would fit this.

While they're at it, how about changing the Review input field from a line to a rectangle used since the dawn of 'dumb terminals'. Perhaps this feature was ported from a TTY33 (dating me pretty badly :D ).
neglesaks79

Post by neglesaks79 »

I must likewise beg for increased attention given to the mintinstall / Software Manager application. I actively seek out minor, obscure apps that has received no feedback and as such receive no attention. I receive the eternal error message: "Invalid password, go to account info blah blah. "

I really like Linux Mint, but to have the ability to contribute to the community hampered by a bug that has been extant for years, coupled with a user interface for the login that only says "close"? It has no indication of giving user feedback whatsoever; the user has no idea whether the entered user info is accepted or not.

This bug has existed for years. I am plagued by it. It is the exact same login info as on the mint community page. I am absolutely sure that I am entering my info correctly.

I apologize for my insistence, but I cannot contribute to the community when I am walled off from commenting by an unknown bug and an unhelpful package install app. I am frustrated by this.
Costas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Costas »

Hi all, same problem here. Cannot review apps from the Software Manager due to inability to log in. Latest linux Mint and just registered here :-)
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Do you also have an account set up at https://community.linuxmint.com/
MikeF90000

Post by MikeF90000 »

Very, very pathetic !!
I still get the back end error messages, both from the Software Manager review link and directly from the Communify web site:

Hosting Server Connect Timeout
HTTP 502 — Unable to Connect to the Origin Server

I don't think I believe the above; something is Broken By Design and the LM team should fix it!
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Try again, I was just able to access community.linuxmint.com
MikeF90000

Post by MikeF90000 »

JeremyB wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:07 pm Try again, I was just able to access community.linuxmint.com
Well lucky you.
I've been trying since yesterday with no luck; HTTP error 502 always comes up between the Sucuri firewall and the LM host..

Return to “Non-technical Questions”