Program to learn and play synthesiser

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Program to learn and play synthesiser

Post by deepakdeshp »

Hello,
I am going to a class for leaning keyboard/synthesiser
Is there any program on Mint which simulates a synthesiser and is there any tutorial available for the same? I am using Mint 18.2 Cinnamon.
It would be great if I would be able to record the music on my pc. The instrument has a usb port
The synthesiser model is BigFUN 630A3

Thank tou
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Program to learn and play synthesiser

Post by jimallyn »

There are many music programs available in Mint. But ... A Google search for 'BigFUN 630A3' turns up 3 hits: this thread, and 2 other pages that mention a different model of BigFUN keyboard. Did any documentation come with that keyboard? Any idea what that USB port does? MIDI over USB? Audio over USB? Without knowing what the USB port actually does, it's hard to recommend what program to use with it. Have you plugged the synthesizer into your computer yet? Does it show up as an audio device? Or what?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

You may also find information over at:
https://linuxmusicians.com/
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

I would recommend YouTube videos, they would be the perfect place to start.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

jimallyn wrote:There are many music programs available in Mint. But ... A Google search for 'BigFUN 630A3' turns up 3 hits: this thread, and 2 other pages that mention a different model of BigFUN keyboard. Did any documentation come with that keyboard? Any idea what that USB port does? MIDI over USB? Audio over USB? Without knowing what the USB port actually does, it's hard to recommend what program to use with it. Have you plugged the synthesizer into your computer yet? Does it show up as an audio device? Or what?
My bad . It is Big Fun 630A2 and not A3.
Mint does not recognise it aqs a separate device when I connect it to to the computer. So I will have to use the keyboard off line and look for a program in mint which allows me to practise using the computer keyboard.
Thank you.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

all41 wrote:You may also find information over at:
https://linuxmusicians.com/
Thank you. There are many things . I am exploring them
Regards,
Deepak

marcia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by marcia »

Hi Deepakdeshp,

I found your keyboard on amazon which is no longer available for purchase. I would guess that
it would work in linuxmint. As mentioned already, watching youtube videos can be helpful.
I am a member of the linuxmusicians forum, and as mentioned here, would suggest asking there.
It is a friendly forum with a lot of knowledgeable people. More than a few mint users there, too.

There are so many programs that can be used with a midi keyboard. Audacity is easy and a good way
to begin possibly. I have happily used lmms, too. There are many videos for these programs.

Good fortune with this.

Sincerely,

aicram
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I did a little more googling on that keyboard. Apparently it was made, or maybe just sold, by Akshata Enterprises. But I couldn't find out anything about it. Let's try this, just for fun: plug the keyboard into your computer, open a terminal, and enter lsusb. Copy/paste whatever that spits out into your next message. If we can get the device ID for it, maybe we will find that it is equivalent to some other keyboard, and maybe we can find information on that, and find out just what is supposed to happen with that USB port. Or maybe somebody has written a Linux driver for it.

Another idea: I wonder if any program in Mint would see it? Plug the keyboard in, then open Audacity. (If you don't have it installed, then install it.) Audacity has buttons to select input and output devices. Does your keyboard show up in there? If so, hit the Record button in Audacity. Does that do anything?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

jimallyn wrote:I did a little more googling on that keyboard. Apparently it was made, or maybe just sold, by Akshata Enterprises. But I couldn't find out anything about it. Let's try this, just for fun: plug the keyboard into your computer, open a terminal, and enter lsusb. Copy/paste whatever that spits out into your next message. If we can get the device ID for it, maybe we will find that it is equivalent to some other keyboard, and maybe we can find information on that, and find out just what is supposed to happen with that USB port. Or maybe somebody has written a Linux driver for it.

Another idea: I wonder if any program in Mint would see it? Plug the keyboard in, then open Audacity. (If you don't have it installed, then install it.) Audacity has buttons to select input and output devices. Does your keyboard show up in there? If so, hit the Record button in Audacity. Does that do anything?
lsusb is a very logical approach.Unforunately fefore and after installing the keyboard , the output remains the same.

Code: Select all

a # lsusb
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 064e:930b Suyin Corp. 
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0438:7900 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. 
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:b006 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0438:7900 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. 
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
I Installed audacity and am looking for changing the keyboard option. I will update as soon as I find it.
Many thanks
Regards,
Deepak

deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

marcia wrote:Hi Deepakdeshp,

I found your keyboard on amazon which is no longer available for purchase. I would guess that
it would work in linuxmint. As mentioned already, watching youtube videos can be helpful.
I am a member of the linuxmusicians forum, and as mentioned here, would suggest asking there.
It is a friendly forum with a lot of knowledgeable people. More than a few mint users there, too.

There are so many programs that can be used with a midi keyboard. Audacity is easy and a good way
to begin possibly. I have happily used lmms, too. There are many videos for these programs.

Good fortune with this.

Sincerely,

aicram
Thank you, As suggested I will ask my question at linuxmusicians. As suggested by Jimmyallen , it is not showing with lsusb command hence I have little hope that it will work with a computer,
I just bought the keyboard from Amazon . It looks to be china made ,it arrived without a manual . An e mail requesting a manual hasn't been responded to .
Regards,
Deepak

deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

jimallyn wrote:I did a little more googling on that keyboard. Apparently it was made, or maybe just sold, by Akshata Enterprises. But I couldn't find out anything about it. Let's try this, just for fun: plug the keyboard into your computer, open a terminal, and enter lsusb. Copy/paste whatever that spits out into your next message. If we can get the device ID for it, maybe we will find that it is equivalent to some other keyboard, and maybe we can find information on that, and find out just what is supposed to happen with that USB port. Or maybe somebody has written a Linux driver for it.

There are various kernels which can be installed and just may be one of them may support the keyboard. Any suggestion on which ones could I try?
Regards,
Deepak

jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

deepakdeshp wrote:There are various kernels which can be installed and just may be one of them may support the keyboard. Any suggestion on which ones could I try?
No idea. Pick a few at random and try them.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Test your gear out first with a Puppy Studio spin.

Return to “Sound”