Game using ALSA [Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kaye

Game using ALSA [Solved]

Post by Kaye »

Hey everyone,

I recently installed Secret Maryo Chronicles, and I really like it, but for some reason the music package isn't working. I installed it normally using apt (although I do have a symlink to my data partition), and unzipped the music into the correct directory, but for some reason the game is trying to use ALSA even though I use OSS4. This is strange because I installed it earlier and it worked perfectly. Is there any way for me to configure the sound options or something like that? Since it worked previously, I assumed it was from my end and not the game.

Thanks,
Kaye
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kaye

Re: Game using ALSA

Post by Kaye »

I just installed another game and the same thing is happening.. so it's definitely something in the installation/configuration.
garda

Post by garda »

Kaye, if only I played games I would have tried to help you. Alas, I do not.

So since you have been getting no replies here, I would suggest asking the question at OSS forums. Here is the link:

OpenSound Forums - Linux Section

Just remember to include these informations in your post, in addition to your problem:

- Distro and version (I recommend saying Ubuntu 8.10, if you are using Felicia)
- Output of ossmix
- Output of ossinfo -v3
- Output of sudo lspci -nnvv
- Output of uname -a

Wish you the best of luck.
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

I was thinking of doing that, it just seems to me that this is a problem with configuration on my end, because OSS worked perfectly with this game before I set up the symlink. I fail to see how that would affect anything, though, which is where I'm stuck right now. I guess I'll start a thread up over there just to see if anyone else has experienced this before.

Thanks, Kaye
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

Solved.. Pretty simple, all I had to do was install the libsdl1.2debian-oss package, which apparently some programs use for OSS compatibility. Thanks for your help.

Return to “Beginner Questions”