Logitech T620 Touchmouse: How do I get "middle" button working?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Logitech T620 Touchmouse: How do I get "middle" button working?

Post by wutsinterweb »

It's been a while since I've run into an issue where I've needed to ask for help.

I have been using an old Logitech T620 Touchmouse. This is a mouse that, while being a mouse, has a touch surface on it. There is only 1 mechanical button but where you put your fingers and how you touch it, in Windows, using their drivers, you can make it middle click, left/right, open menu, forward/backward, and back when, run the Windows 8 Charms bar.

Now, to be clear, the left and right click capabilities are there, but the "middle click" (clicking over the middle top of the mouse on the hump), doesn't work, and the forward backwards and menu doesn't work. I don't see any options in the system settings for any buttons.

I've searched and most threads on this topic are from back in 2010, or before/after, and won't work. At the very least I want to get middle click functionality and if possible, forward and backward.

EDIT: I installed solaar and it recognizes the mouse, but gives no functionality, there don't appear to be any options.

I did try gpointing-device-settings but it won't install for Mint 18.2. I am also using KDE.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I've been using Mint for over 4 years, but I'm still a slow learner. I have a website: https://pickfetish.com. It is dedicated to guitar/instrument picks.
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Logitech T620 Touchmouse: How do I get "middle" button working?

Post by wutsinterweb »

Perhaps if someone can help with with GENERIC mouse button help?
I've been using Mint for over 4 years, but I'm still a slow learner. I have a website: https://pickfetish.com. It is dedicated to guitar/instrument picks.
hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hpmc13 »

I use an old Logitech Trackman Marble FX and had no middle button functionality. I installed gpointing-device-settings and could set it to scroll when holding the middle button since I have no mouse wheel.
I wonder if Mint even sees your mouse's middle button. In the terminal, type:

Code: Select all

xev | grep button
A white box should popup. Click inside it and the terminal should output which buttons you are clicking. If it doesn't even register the middle button, I'm not sure what to tell you.
Running LM 20 Cinnamon
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "wutsinterweb",

The middle button is assigned to "paste" from the clipboard.

In Linux Mint KDE 18.x, right click the desktop, select configure desktop, click mouse actions on left, on right side click middle mouse button arrow for options.

You can also install "xbindkeys" and "xbindkeys-config" for additional abilities to assign mouse buttons and actions.

Hope this helps ...
KDE_MiddleMouseButton1sm.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

Ah, I installed xbindkeys and xbindkeysconfig, and this is what I get in the terminal, can you help me understand how to execute what it is telling me to do?

xbindkeys
Error : /home/wutsinterweb/.xbindkeysrc not found or reading not allowed.
please, create one with 'xbindkeys --defaults > /home/wutsinterweb/.xbindkeysrc'.
or, if you want scheme configuration style,
with 'xbindkeys --defaults-guile > /home/wutsinterweb/.xbindkeysrc.scm'.
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

OH, I think I have to run xbindkey-config, right? So when I try and edit something, it suddenly disappears/crashes it seems.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "wutsinterweb",

First, what is it that you want the middle mouse button to do?

You may not need to use xbindkeys or xbindkeys-config. I personally have not used "xbindkeys-config" or xbindkeys before, but here are the instructions I found.

According to the first link you must create a blank ".xbindkeysrc" file to store your changes and settings; please read the articles.

xbindkeys -d > ~/.xbindkeysrc

Xbindkeys
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xbindkeys

Make your own keybindings in linux using xbindkeys
http://dev-random.net/make-your-own-key ... xbindkeys/

Bind your spare mouse buttons to useful Plasma features
https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/3 ... ul_plasma/

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

BEEEUTIFUL! thank you.

I DO indeed have the middle mouse button #2 (a virtual mouse on this 1 button touch mouse) working at least with the desktop, I see what you say, and I changed the choice. But I haven't been able to get my left swipe/right swipe (virtual buttons 6 and 7/backward-forward) to work so I wanted to see if I could get them working somehow. I can see that at some point I'm going to have to accept to move on with my keyboard and mouse, but I am pretty attached to them and my budget is very extreme in its limitations.

It's also just as much me learning and getting help figuring out these things so that I understand more, too.

When my brain is sharper I will give this a go.

As always, thank you, sir.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "wutsinterweb",

You are welcome...

Please let us know what you do to get your extra mouse functions working for other users that may benefit from it. That is an interesting mouse that I was not familiar with until I looked it up.

I noticed with my logitech M515 couch mouse (nice), which has a tilting mouse wheel and a middle button, that I did not have to do anything to program the mouse functions. If I am in a browser, and I push the mouse wheel (button) left or right webpages will go backwards or forwards (browsers may have mouse setting for this too), and I control the middle button using the KDE desktop options.

Return to “Beginner Questions”