Is it possible to disable the login prompt in Mint 18.2?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Executioner
Level 3
Level 3

Is it possible to disable the login prompt in Mint 18.2?

Post by Executioner »

When I turn on the laptop, Mint 18.2 is asking for a password. Prior to upgrading from 18.1, it would go right to the desktop. I still want to retain my sudo password for everything else. I can't find anything in administrative settings for this for an auto login. I just want the to avoid the prompt when the laptop is turned on.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Is it possible to disable the login prompt in Mint 18.2?

Post by pbear »

Unless you changed it later, the upgrade should have left you with MDM as your login manager (rather than LightDM).
You'll find the setting you seek at Menu: Administration: Users & Groups.
Last edited by pbear on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
hcentaur13

Post by hcentaur13 »

The login in startup is needed for security. The password on sudo is required to allow to be root and allow root to login.

in menue -> Login window you can change to "automatic logon". That will login you magically. But it will login to your account anybody who is power on your computer!

The login is the first step of security! Automatic login is needs an secure enviroment with novody es has access to your computer anyway.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Not really, The login password is speed-bump security, mainly useful for keeping out prying roommates. A hacker with physical access to the machine can circumvent it quite easily. Meanwhile, auto login is a supported feature, included even as an installation option. It's fine to explain why you prefer not to use, but the OP may draw his/her own conclusions based on his/her circumstances and preferences as regards the inevitable tension between security and ease of use.
gamerperson

Post by gamerperson »

If you open the menu and go to "Users and Groups," then next to "Password: Asked on login" click on "Change..." then you can make it not ask on login.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

What's wrong with asking for a password...it's for your protection...can't understand why people don't see that. :x :roll:
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

Not everyone wants, or needs, an LM Login Prompt. Eg, I have a far more secure power up Dell Security password. Equally, if I was using a machine just to listen to music, watch a few films, or do a bit of browsing - again I might choose not to have an LM password in this scenario either.

Surely it's a personal choice based on individual requirements?

OP - do you have MDM or LightDM running. You said you upgraded, maybe you meant a fresh install? If LightDM (18.2 default unless you updated via the Update Manager), the answer to the auto-login question can be found here: viewtopic.php?t=248907
(3rd post down, by Pjotr)
Last edited by Mick-Cork on Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

bob466 wrote:What's wrong with asking for a password...it's for your protection...can't understand why people don't see that. :x :roll:
Quite agree. In the same manner I will NEVER stop walking around in diapers either. I mean, really. :x :roll:
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

And following up from previous response, if you have MDM I'd suggest switching to LightDM anyway, especially with autologin where there's no visible difference. The reason I say this - when I switched to LightDM it shaved 4 seconds off boot up, and 3 off shutdown. It seems far more efficient.
Executioner
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Executioner »

Yeah stupid me - when I upgraded I went with LightDM since it was suggested, and I forgot to mention it. So is it possible to turn that off with LightDM?
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

I've not had to do it (I kept MDM), but there have been a few threads on this, of which I happen to have bookmarked this one. Hope that helps.
Executioner
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Executioner »

Thanks for the link. I followed the instructions: gksudo xed /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

but my file is completely blank - nothing in it to edit.
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

hi Executioner,

The total content of my lightdm.conf file here is:

[Seat:*]
allow-guest=false
autologin-user=mick
autologin-user-timeout=0

Change the username to your own, save the file, and let us know how you get on.

Return to “Beginner Questions”