Mint Debian

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint Debian/ A POSSIBLE WORKAROUND

Post by npap »

Thanks for your approval Rivenought. :D

My only complaint about Debian has always been the long time that it takes to install.
So, with a free ride on Anti X 8, I got a Debian (by accident) that took much less time. :) Besides, isn't the installer that has been an issue with the Mint Debian?

You seem to know more than I do on this matter, so why not take an initiative to give this project a push.
I don't think that Mepis will object to taking advantage of their very good installer. And Anti would probably be
eager and happy to help.

Thanks again,
Greetings, npap
rivenought

Re: Mint Debian

Post by rivenought »

I agree that the installation time for a plain Debian install took longer than Mint. However, after downloading DVD 1 and not adding a mirror to begin with, the installation was much faster. When all packages are pulled from the DVD, time is cut down to about 35 or 45 minutes on my system. I have a sources list to add once I have everything up and running to get multimedia and backports set up. Then, it only takes a few little blocks of code/scripts I have put together to have the system rocking. Yes, it took me numerous times of trial and error, as well as lots of note-taking with good old Zim, to get as far as I am at this point. I am learning just like everyone else. It is slow, but I am making progress.

I am not, and most likely will never be, in the league with Anticapitalista. He is much more talented than I am. If he was to decide to do a project over this way, I know I would be happy to help him do some testing. I do try to help out where and when I can.

I keep wondering what Warren could come up with in regards to using GNOME with his MEPIS instead of KDE. I still need to do some experimenting over in his campground sometime soon.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

rivenought wrote: I am not, and most likely will never be, in the league with Anticapitalista. He is much more talented than I am. If he was to decide to do a project over this way, I know I would be happy to help him do some testing. I do try to help out where and when I can.

I keep wondering what Warren could come up with in regards to using GNOME with his MEPIS instead of KDE. I still need to do some experimenting over in his campground sometime soon.
Good work Rivenought :)

As a matter of fact, I suggested the idea of a Gnome version to Anti.
He seemed to accept it but he said that he didn't have the time to maintain two different distributions.

Cheers,
npap
maybeway36

Post by maybeway36 »

If someone wanted to make a Mepis-based "minty" CD, that would be great. You can't use remastersys with Mepis; it uses its own system, and I don't really know much about it.
You could look here if you're interested:
http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/ ... ing_script
EDIT: Just saw exploder's post. Didn't know remastersys had an installer. Nice!
anticapitalista
Level 2
Level 2

Post by anticapitalista »

I'll join the thread to mention that there is someone called vampirefo already making a gnome MEPIS

http://www.mepislovers.org/forums/showt ... nome+MEPIS

You could quite easily do the same with antiX (as has been done) or maybe even better by using the antiX-base version.

How well MINT tools would work on an antiX (or MEPIS) Debian base I have no idea, but I'd be interested in finding out.

Good luck with the project.

anticapitalista
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

You're a great guy, Anti :)
Having followed Mepis during its evolution, I have been wondering when this extremely well-designed distribution will finally come out with a Gnome desktop.
So, your information on the matter is great news.
I have been using Mepis for years as an alternative, for reliability, when my other distribution in my dual-boot system fails.

Will download Mepis-Gnome and give some feedback as soon as possible..

I would surely like to see Mepis and Mint get together. Mepis IMHO deserves a better place in the "Linux Hall of Fame"

Cheers,
npap
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

* Report this post
Re: Mint Debian/ A POSSIBLE WORKAROUND

New postby npap on Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:57 pm
Just curious. :)
What would you Gurus think of the following scheme?

1) Get Mepis AntiX 8, IceWM desktop (Advantage: The fast and simple Mepis installer.).
http://mirror.cs.vt.edu/pub/MEPIS/antix/antiX-M8.iso

2) Add Gnome using Synaptics.
The result is a Debian Lenny-based version using the fast Mepis installer.

3) Clean up any unwanted branding and software.

4) Add all the Mint goodies to it.
Sounds good. Here is another idea....install Parsix. (Debian based with Gnome interface.) Then add the Mint goodies and do the clean up. What do ya think?
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Here is how to make Debian Minty, with custom mintmenu, mint-info and mintsystem packages.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 99#p174593
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

Just a little note to say that I'm planning on working on the Debian edition again, and this time the goal won't be just an ALPHA experiment.

- mintconstructor is now compatible with Debian Live. I pushed the code change in github yesterday.
- I'm planning to write an installer.
- It will be a rolling distribution.
- Neither the release cycle nor the version numbers will follow those of the other Mint editions.
- Improvements will be pushed towards it incrementally, so it will miss features at first, and slowly but surely it will catch up with the other editions.
- It should be based on Debian testing, possibly Debian Unstable.

Clem.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Clem,
This is excellent news! I am looking forward to helping with testing. I already run Debian Lenny 64-bit, as well as the 32-bit version on another machine. Please keep us updated on your progress.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
tawan

Post by tawan »

Cool news.
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

Fantastic!!! This is great news indeed. I would put this announcment in the main page!
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Great news indeed! 8)
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I would like to see this happen with KDE too. I love the idea of a rolling release.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Great news! That's about all I can say. :-)

Fred
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Sorry ikey, it's too late :)

I've already done the GUI for it and most of the underlying system, so the installer is well on its way. I'll publish the code to github soon so you'll be able to fork it and propose changes.

As you can see I didn't include any fancy options and only one partition can be selected. I want things to work asap so I can then take my time and improve this edition as I go along, incrementally.

Clem.
Fred

Post by Fred »

clem,

I like your approach to this. I have always thought it better to pre-make partitions before the install. I would much rather see the installer doing fewer tasks well, especially in the beginning, than being bloated with confusing "features" done poorly. :-)

Fred
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Partitioning will be added at a later stage. When that happens, I'll make sure not to confuse the user. I'll introduce more and more options but I'll keep the whole thing as simple as possible. As always, I'll use good default values, complemented with both optional and advanced alternatives. We'll please both novice and advanced users.

Clem.
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

clem wrote: Image
Only one problem here... You may want to change that to Advanced. :)
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

The only think I don't like about Debian is that they use unauthorized patches for the Mozilla software.
This means that they can introduce a bug and they wouldn't know about it.
They make a Linux Distro, not a browser and should leave the patches to Mozilla.
This way it would be more secure and I would feel safer.
I have Squeeze already installed on an old laptop with only 256MB of RAM.
It runs well and it look just like Linux Mint. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 99#p174593
Some of the apps has bugs, like gdebi crashing instead of installing.
One think I don't like is having to manually setting up the sudoers file, just so i can use it to install packages.
I think one think I would like to see is Hardware Drivers from Ubuntu ported to Debian.
It makes it so easy to get the hardware working.

Return to “LMDE Archive”