Recommended InkJet Printer Scanner ?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oopsonlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Recommended InkJet Printer Scanner ?

Post by oopsonlinux »

Hello,

Does anyone have any Linux friendly InkJet Printer Scanners to recommend?

I am hoping to identify a brand and/or model(s) which are relatively hassle free to download the linux drivers and setup the print and scan functions.
An InkJet printer/scanner is the best choice for me, and the #1 feature I am looking for is 'one pass scanning' so I can scan two sided documents in the one pass
(saving me time, and the hassle of possible jams when the regular scanners 'flip' the pages to scan the 2nd side. ex. Canon Maxify MB5120 seems like what I am looking for.

I have given up trying to fix my older Brother MFC-5460CN. The scanner works great with Xsane, but since I've upgraded from Mint 17 to 18 I've never been able to get the printer working correctly (it prints, but the text is all fuzzy). As a comparison, the printer works ok, if I use my work laptop with Windows 10, provided that 'fine' print quality is selected. I just don't have the time to fiddle with reinstalling the drivers, and editing parts of the code, for hours on end (believe me I have tried searching the forum and tried all the suggestions earlier this year).

As background, I am a relative new linux user with modest technical knowledge.
I have had success fixing most issues by following instructions very carefully, if sufficient detail is provided.
Currently using Mint 18.1.

Thanks for any recommendations anyone can provide.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Canon MB5120

Post by pdc_2 »

you should be fine with the MB5120 for installing drivers; Canon seem to supply just one driver package now that configures all their recent inkjet machines ............. you can get it from here ...

http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 39901.html

you would download and SAVE what is cnijfilter2-5.40-1-deb.tar.gz and the commands to install would be

cd Downloads
tar -zxvf cnijfilter2-5.40-1-deb.tar.gz
cd cnijfilter2-5.40-1-deb
./install.sh

_________
all will become even easier next year I suspect; as printers such as the above are all apple print compatible https://support.apple.com/en-nz/HT201311 and Ubuntu 17.04 implemented apple print support; ...... all new printers from all suppliers now seem to be compatible; the next LTS that Mint will use will be 18.04 I think; I understand we are on 16.04 at present; so by June next year Mint should be offering that extra enhancement: so few drivers will need to be installed as used to be done
minitux

Re: Recommended InkJet Printer Scanner ?

Post by minitux »

.tar.gz archive for deb, both printer and scanner

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/port ... _downloads

IJ Printer Driver Ver. 5.40 for Linux (debian Packagearchive)
ScanGear MP Ver. 3.40 for Linux (debian Packagearchive)
oopsonlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Recommended InkJet Printer Scanner ?

Post by oopsonlinux »

Thanks for the advice.
It's also nice to know that additional drivers and setup time might not be as necessary in the future.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”