system dying

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ArtGirl

system dying

Post by ArtGirl »

Hi :-)

Going to have to ask, after soooo much reading and getting no further forward really ... power cut blew old main monitor today, so am using Ugee, but system slowing down generally/on way out. May I ask general advice, bearing in mind I can't manage to dual boot (or couldn't with the Lenovo), so am not going to be able to do anything difficult to install LM on another machine ... is Intel blocking Linux in any way now, or am I safe to buy a decent Intel pc and LM will install/run fine?

Looking at Dell XPS 8920, but seen some reports of difficulties installing Linux on it. Seeing the Inspiron 5675 is on Ubuntu's 'friendly' list, but it's AMD Ryzen, which I saw elsewhere on the forum was advised against, as it's very new. Looked at the entroware Poseidon, but then saw some bad reviews about support. If anyone has any experience to share, I'd really value that.

Otherwise, I'm needing i7/16+ ram desktop, for cpu/gpu-accelerated art programs and for gaming. Would like to try nvidia, after being stuck on opengl 3.0 for so long with old Radeon card.

Would really appreciate advice, as there's no option but back to Windows otherwise, which is the last thing I want to do. Struggling too much with things, and now needing to find a new system is a bit overwhelming.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Re: system dying

Post by mr_raider »

Ryzen works fine. Several users in the forum (including myself) have it. The b350 boards have been operational since day one with kernels 4.4, 4.8 and now 4.10. Some particular issues related to one manufacturer are reported.
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

mr_raider wrote:Ryzen works fine. Several users in the forum (including myself) have it. The b350 boards have been operational since day one with kernels 4.4, 4.8 and now 4.10. Some particular issues related to one manufacturer are reported.
Thanks for such a quick response, mr_raider. Good news, but which manufacturer is the one to avoid?
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Gigabyte

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=252442&p=1366079&h ... n#p1366079

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=248077&p=1362445&h ... n#p1362445

I don't know what mobo OEMs like Dell use. Most ryzen users are enthusiasts that build their own.

I strongly suggest you build your own since you can salvage many parts from your current tower. If you can install Mint, you have demonstrated the necessary higher brain function to build your own.
Last edited by mr_raider on Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

I've got a decent spec i7 custom built desktop with a decent Nvidia graphics card I was going to Ebay. If you may be interested I can send you the full specs.

Generally speaking finding compatible desktops is easier than laptops.

Intel CPUs work fine. If it's a very recent model, just do a Google to ensure kernel support has been released.
Nvidia graphics cards are generally hassle free - so long as you don't mind using the proprietary drivers which are supplied via driver manager.
The main thing to check is the wireless card if it's going to use one as these are the components with the most sparse support on Linux.

It's worth running a memory test and SMART disc check on your current system as these are the likely suspects for slow-downs.
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Thanks for the link and sparing me the inspiron/ryzen woes. Appreciate it. :-)
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

MintBean wrote:I've got a decent spec i7 custom built desktop with a decent Nvidia graphics card I was going to Ebay. If you may be interested I can send you the full specs.

Generally speaking finding compatible desktops is easier than laptops.

Intel CPUs work fine. If it's a very recent model, just do a Google to ensure kernel support has been released.
Nvidia graphics cards are generally hassle free - so long as you don't mind using the proprietary drivers which are supplied via driver manager.
The main thing to check is the wireless card if it's going to use one as these are the components with the most sparse support on Linux.

It's worth running a memory test and SMART disc check on your current system as these are the likely suspects for slow-downs.
Hi MintBean

I'll take a look, but so much is spinning round about this I wouldn't hold back putting it onto Ebay, just incase. I daren't make any snap decisions, even though time's a strong factor. Thank you for assurances about finding compatible desktops and about Intel and Nvidia; no problem using the drivers. Sorry, I'm lost about the kernel support bit, and how to run a memory test or smart disk check. Thank you very much for suggesting these things; will gladly do them if I know how.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

FYI Oland XT supports Opengl 4. Have you tried upgrading your mesa stack?
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

mr_raider wrote:FYI Oland XT supports Opengl 4. Have you tried upgrading your mesa stack?
Thanks mr_raider, but, yes, I've tried lots of times via padoka ppa; it just refuses to go past opengl 3.0. Card is able to go to 4.5 but just won't.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Memory test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FFW8k7o-Ok

SMART:
Open the 'disks' application and from the 'hamburger' menu in the top right of the windows select 'SMART data and self tests.' Basically, you're looking for 'OK' in all the rows.

It's hectic my end too, so I'll post those PC specs in a couple of days. Goes without saying that I won't hold off on other avenues so no pressure on you to respond.
Last edited by MintBean on Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

ArtGirl wrote:
mr_raider wrote:FYI Oland XT supports Opengl 4. Have you tried upgrading your mesa stack?
Thanks mr_raider, but, yes, I've tried lots of times via padoka ppa; it just refuses to go past opengl 3.0. Card is able to go to 4.5 but just won't.
Tried Oibaf PPA? Mind you I have a GCN 1.2 card so it's different.
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

MintBean wrote:Memory test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FFW8k7o-Ok

SMART:
Open the 'disks' application and from the 'hamburger' menu in the top right of the windows select 'SMART data and self tests.' Basically, you're looking for 'OK' in all the rows.

It's hectic my end too, so I'll post those PC specs in a couple of days. Goes without saying that I won't hold off on other avenues so no pressure on you to respond.
Thanks MintBean. No problem. :-) Will give the vid a watch and do the tests. Thanks so much for pointing me to those.
EDIT: shift hasn't worked before (probably a Lenovo thing), but gave it a try; recovery screen appeared again, which has just started happening and must be due to main monitor not working in the boot stages, but disk tests came back 'ok'.
Last edited by ArtGirl on Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

mr_raider wrote:
ArtGirl wrote:
Tried Oibaf PPA? Mind you I have a GCN 1.2 card so it's different.

Yes, tried them all, but it just refused to budge higher. Must be down to the card, as you say.
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

I think the xps 8920 is best, and, if I can manage to dual boot, I'll be able to come back to LM.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Looks good. Dual boot shouldn't be a problem. If you keep all your data on the 2TB with NTFS format, you'll be able to access it all from both operating systems.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

ArtGirl wrote:I think the xps 8920 is best, and, if I can manage to dual boot, I'll be able to come back to LM.
You can just move the drive with mint on it to the new PC. Wipe windows off it and expand the mint partition to reclaim the space.

Personally though, if mint will be your main os, I would get an SSD for mint.
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

MintBean wrote:Looks good. Dual boot shouldn't be a problem. If you keep all your data on the 2TB with NTFS format, you'll be able to access it all from both operating systems.
Thanks so much MintBean; that's great to know. Really appreciate advice, and it was always my original hope to dual boot and have choice about especially art programs, but hadn't been able to do it due to Lenovo quirks, and was miserable. I look forward to nvidia/higher opengl, and to dual booting! :-)
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

mr_raider wrote:
ArtGirl wrote:I think the xps 8920 is best, and, if I can manage to dual boot, I'll be able to come back to LM.
You can just move the drive with mint on it to the new PC. Wipe windows off it and expand the mint partition to reclaim the space.

Personally though, if mint will be your main os, I would get an SSD for mint.
Thanks mr_raider, but I can't do physical pc stuff. I feel like I'm drowning all the time; phsyically sorting a computer, or anything complex to set up or tweak, is way beyond what I can manage. Sensible advice though, and I appreciate your suggestion. At least if I buy a mainstream system with good hardware, I can dual boot/have the choice. The thought of dealing with anything Windows full time isn't great, so I'll be attempting dual boot asap, for sure.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Thanks ArtGirl, you're welcome.
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

MintBean wrote:Thanks ArtGirl, you're welcome.
No problem, and thanks again for your helpful advice. :-)

Return to “Hardware Support”