How to disable ipv4

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
windumbnew
Level 1
Level 1

How to disable ipv4

Post by windumbnew »

I noticed there is a ipv4 address at the same time the ipv6 shows up (for example on testing sites).

Also it is actually simple on Mint (network manager) to deactivate the ipv4 stack. Still the testing sites detect the ipv4. How come? Is it a bug?

How can i deactivate my ipv4 or make it invisible to the internet at least? why is there even still a ipv4 address?

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How to disable ipv4

Post by jimallyn »

It is my understanding that nearly everything is still using IPV4. No?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
windumbnew
Level 1
Level 1

Post by windumbnew »

I have no idea, you tell me.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Your router will be using IPv4.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

When you say, "why is there even still a ipv4 address?" that leads me to believe that you think IPV4 isn't used anymore, or has been obsoleted by IPV6, or something like that. Not yet, but that will happen eventually. On December 26, 2015, IPV6 reached 10 percent deployment:

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... eployment/

So, if you wish to have all of the internet available to you, you should probably NOT deactivate IPV4.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

jimallyn wrote:So, if you wish to have all of the internet available to you, you should probably NOT deactivate IPV4.
If anything, IPv6 should be disabled, which can be done in grub.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
windumbnew
Level 1
Level 1

Post by windumbnew »

alright thanks. So why is there even an option to disable ipv4 in mint if i have to switch it off via router? and why does the ipv4 and ipv6 address show different locations on a tracing test site?
catweazel wrote:If anything, IPv6 should be disabled, which can be done in grub.
I guess there are several possibilities to switch off ipv6. I played around with that via terminal and it worked. Is it better to switch it off in grub and if yes, why?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

windumbnew wrote:Is it better to switch it off in grub and if yes, why?
I've no idea. It's how I would do it because it's simple to add a boot option fo IPv6 enabled if necessary.
Last edited by catweazel on Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

ipv4 and ipv6 comes from your ISP. they control it. the fact that you have the option to manipulate ipv* or turn it off doesn't change that the source still comes from there.
your ISP is more equipped to answer these questions and would give you a better understanding of these protocols
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

trytip wrote:ipv4 and ipv6 comes from your ISP. they control it.
Rubbish.

Code: Select all

enp35s0   Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 60:45:cb:9e:91:5b  
          inet addr:192.168.0.116  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::56c8:b2ce:8b6f:97ef/64 Scope:Link
Faust

Post by Faust »

To anyone using a VPN , I strongly suggest disabling IPv6
Many VPN providers are not handling IPv6 correctly , with the result that your real IP can be leaking all over the place .

In some cases this is worse than no VPN at all !
And yes , I know that some VPN providers claim that they have covered this but the majority have not .
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

You should be able to deactivate ipv4 with sudo ip address delete e.g., sudo ip address delete 10.0.2.15/24 dev enp0s3

Check it with ip address show dev enp0s3
windumbnew
Level 1
Level 1

Post by windumbnew »

You should be able to deactivate ipv4 with sudo ip address delete e.g., sudo ip address delete 10.0.2.15/24 dev enp0s3

Check it with ip address show dev enp0s3
Thanks. Will try it. How to enable it again if nothing works anymore?
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

You can reboot or open network manager and reconnect or try sudo ip address add 10.0.2.15/24 dev enp0s3

Sometimes I have to use network manager after using ip add.

Return to “Networking”