Linux Mint 6 XFCE released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
mmesantos1

Re: Linux Mint 6 XFCE released!

Post by mmesantos1 »

merlwiz79 wrote:
mmesantos1 wrote:I see XFCE 4.6.0 was released. Will it be made available from the Repo as an update for Mint 6 XFCE CE? This version of Mint XFCE is currently running XFCE Version 4.4.2.
It should be in Linux Mint 7 XFCE CE, just like Xubuntu Jaunty.

Thanks merlwiz79! :)
bobd13045

Post by bobd13045 »

This is a great release. Very current, very user friendly.

Bob
DevAdv

Post by DevAdv »

im running LM xfce 6 and ill tell ya what, i absolutely love it.

ty for putting out such a great distro.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

dean2k wrote:
merlwiz79 wrote:
mmesantos1 wrote:I see XFCE 4.6.0 was released. Will it be made available from the Repo as an update for Mint 6 XFCE CE? This version of Mint XFCE is currently running XFCE Version 4.4.2.
It should be in Linux Mint 7 XFCE CE, just like Xubuntu Jaunty.
Pardon my ignorance. But I can still manually upgrade Mint 6 XFCE to XFCE 4.6, right? Or no?
Yes you can, but 4.6 implements many of the core components in a different way.
So you will have to make a new user account after installing it, because your current account might get borked if you try a regualar upgrade of the XFCE components.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Currently installed on my laptop, sweet. Any plans for a 64 Bit version? I'd love to have my main rig to run XFCE

Cheers
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

marcus0263 wrote:Currently installed on my laptop, sweet. Any plans for a 64 Bit version? I'd love to have my main rig to run XFCE

Cheers
I don't have a 64bit cpu and I'm not sure how many would really use it.
You could and try to install it on Linux Mint x64.
Not sure how that would work out though.
It'll probably try and install the 32bit plugins.
yasarcay

Post by yasarcay »

please somebody tell me the password of this edition. I have downloaded the iso file and burn it to the cd. İt booted fine but on the display manager there is no auto loing option (for live mode) so i couldnt login to desktop. i have tried some variant of passwords but i faild. so please tell me !!!
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ yasarcay
There are never passwords on live CDs - definitely not on ours
Seems to me to be a bad CD
Did you check the md5dsum and burned as slow as possible?
yasarcay

Post by yasarcay »

Husse wrote:@ yasarcay
There are never passwords on live CDs - definitely not on ours
Seems to me to be a bad CD
Did you check the md5dsum and burned as slow as possible?
if there isnt any password for default i think the problem is in broken image file or none poperly burned cd... ok thanks a lot.. i will redownload image file and burn it again....
bobd13045

Post by bobd13045 »

I'm celebrating Saint Patrick's Day early with Linux Mint 6 Xfce :D
This release is the most user friendly Xfce distro I have ever
run. The Mint team did a great job on this one. I have been running
it since was released and I love it. :D

Bob
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

I'm trying to decide between this and KDE CE....anything but gnome !! nice work, kudos !!

EDIT: went with Xfce...brilliant Distro !!
Last edited by joutlan on Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

bekylane wrote:
theZoid wrote:I'm trying to decide between this and KDE CE....anything but gnome !! nice work, kudos !!

Why you don't like Gnome???

IMHO: I recommend XFCE instead of KDE, It works great and has everything most users need without consuming too much resources.

to make the desicion easier you can install the XFCE edition and add the KDE desktop. At loging you can choose wich one to use.

I love XFCE and Gnome but never liked KDE, it is all a personal preference
Well...gnome bores the pants off of me anymore. To me, Xfce is what gnome should be and has the speed over gnome. KDE has Qt and the configuration abilities. To me, gnome is kinda in a nowhere land. In another dimension, I was solely a gnome fan,,,,but that's changed over the last couple of years.

EDIT: I ended up going with Mint Xfce CE as it's just a great implementation....beats the pants off of Xubuntu! Nice job!
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

edwardXXII wrote:LM6XFCE works fine! :)
It's the best all-around distro I've ever used. Mint should default to Xfce IMO! That's where it shines the most!

To the poster about the clock problem, did you get it resolved?
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

theZoid wrote:
edwardXXII wrote:LM6XFCE works fine! :)
It's the best all-around distro I've ever used. Mint should default to Xfce IMO! That's where it shines the most!
+1 for XFCE as default!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

KurtS wrote:
To the poster about the clock problem, did you get it resolved?

No, I haven't resolved the situation yet, but I'm working on it. This is the first time I've used Mint. I created a root password, because that's what I'm used to, and feel it may be more secure. However it could be what the problem is, because I remember at installation there was a notation that it wasn't recommended. I was a Debian user years ago with Libranet, then Kanotix, and Debian testing. I'm now using PCLinuxOS as my main OS. I've read so many good reviews about Mint that I thought I'd give it a spin on my extra partition, plus I've always kinda liked XFCE as a manager after KDE, but I have to admit, it's been a while. Any ideas in the meantime will be appreciated. :)
ah ha....I'm a former Libranet user. I've tried to use PCLOS on this Dell Precision m4400, but I'm having kernel panics. The only distro I've been able to run reliably is a Ubuntu derivative. Same here...for me it's KDE>Xfce>Gnome in order :D

Any of the Mint releases are about as good as it gets, IMO.
Hawkeye_52

Re: Linux Mint 6 XFCE released! -- Question About Ram

Post by Hawkeye_52 »

This probably belongs in the noobie section, and if I have posted in the wrong place, I understand if this has to be moved. Anyway, here goes....

I have an HP Slimline with an AMD 64 bit CPU and 4 GB of ram. Will an installation of Linux Mint XFCE (or Gnome for that matter) allow me access to the full amount of ram I have installed? I thought I read somewhere that 32 bit distros would not take advantage of ram above a certain amount.

Thanks in advance for any help, or a link to finding out the answer. :oops:

Hawkeye
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint 6 XFCE released! -- Question About Ram

Post by joutlan »

Hawkeye_52 wrote:This probably belongs in the noobie section, and if I have posted in the wrong place, I understand if this has to be moved. Anyway, here goes....

I have an HP Slimline with an AMD 64 bit CPU and 4 GB of ram. Will an installation of Linux Mint XFCE (or Gnome for that matter) allow me access to the full amount of ram I have installed? I thought I read somewhere that 32 bit distros would not take advantage of ram above a certain amount.

Thanks in advance for any help, or a link to finding out the answer. :oops:

Hawkeye
If you use 64 bit Mint 6, it will use all of your ram. 32 bit will recognize about 3.5, but it not going to make any performance difference for the majority of us.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”