Why Can I Only Boot a M.2 Drive in Legacy Mode Only?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MCDELTAT
Level 1
Level 1

Why Can I Only Boot a M.2 Drive in Legacy Mode Only?

Post by MCDELTAT »

System Specs:
Acer Aspire E5-575 Laptop
Generic 256GB M.2 Drive from SK Hyinx (connects over SATA)
Western Digital 500GB 7200 HDD
Intel 7200U

I've installed Linux Mint a *million* times, but I guess it's always been on SSDs/HDDs connected via SATA, because I've never had this problem. When I tried to install it on a new M.2 Drive I got all kinds of problems. I tried formatting it manually with the 600MB Fat32 Boot Partition in addition to the regular Swap and Storage partitions, I tried letting the installer just manually create the 3 partitions (which it appeared to do every time). I installed a bare Windows 10 again just to update the BIOS from v1.12 to 1.27, which was dated August 2017.

Finally what fixed it was simply switching the BIOS to boot in Legacy Mode, then install Linux Mint again. It was interesting to note that the Windows Installation was booting in UEFI mode just fine. So what's happening here? Is this a Kernel thing or a Ubuntu thing or? I'm doubting it's Hardware support because Windows handled it fine and the hardware is the latest generation as of right now.
kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Why Can I Only Boot a M.2 Drive in Legacy Mode Only?

Post by kukamuumuka »

What tells command

Code: Select all

ls /sys/firmware
MCDELTAT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MCDELTAT »

running

ls /sys/firmware
simply gives me the directories

acpi dmi memmap
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Some laptops are hardcoded to only boot the windows bootloader off the m.2 slot, but can boot anything off the SATA slot. You seem to have one of those beasts. The solution is to try and rename the Ubuntu EFI bootloader to the windows efi bootloader name.

http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/20187.html
AMenard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AMenard »

Make sure to disable Secure Boot in your bios.
MCDELTAT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MCDELTAT »

mr_raider wrote:Some laptops are hardcoded to only boot the windows bootloader off the m.2 slot, but can boot anything off the SATA slot. You seem to have one of those beasts. The solution is to try and rename the Ubuntu EFI bootloader to the windows efi bootloader name.

LOL..... now that is an eye roll. Really? Why would you check to make sure the descriptor is exactly "Windows Boot Manager"? How I manually go about changing the UEFI Firmware Descriptor? I might change it later for like 18.3 because I'm all set up now and don't want to go through it again.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

UEFI requires a GPT partition.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
MCDELTAT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MCDELTAT »

catweazel wrote:UEFI requires a GPT partition.
Not sure if I manually attempted that, but shouldn't have the automatic installer taken care of that anyways?
Bassically when I booted my flash drive in UEFI and went through the install process (either manual or automatic) it would finish fine, but at reboot would say "No bootable device found".

Only way to fix it, as stated above was to switch to legacy mode, install in legacy mode, and continue.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

MCDELTAT wrote:
mr_raider wrote:Some laptops are hardcoded to only boot the windows bootloader off the m.2 slot, but can boot anything off the SATA slot. You seem to have one of those beasts. The solution is to try and rename the Ubuntu EFI bootloader to the windows efi bootloader name.

LOL..... now that is an eye roll. Really? Why would you check to make sure the descriptor is exactly "Windows Boot Manager"? How I manually go about changing the UEFI Firmware Descriptor? I might change it later for like 18.3 because I'm all set up now and don't want to go through it again.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/244261/ ... 343#244343

Return to “Installation & Boot”